smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

2740 posts in this topic

NP, Maybe I will see you at the meet next month.

1 person likes this

Why build a bridge for $15M(or whatever) when you can build it for $8.5M (or whatever)? It does not make any sense to me. If it costs more public funds than can be justified have Marketstreet and other beneficiaries kick-in the balance. 

I just threw that number out there. i would imagine the cost would have to include some higher end work given that it's downtown and not the burbs, as well as the fact that CSX would have to be involved.

Just speculation.

I just threw that number out there. i would imagine the cost would have to include some higher end work given that it's downtown and not the burbs, as well as the fact that CSX would have to be involved.

Just speculation.

CSX's only involvement should be "how high do you want the bridge to be?" If the response is "we don't want a bridge there," then we should tell them "21 feet it is!"

@DM

I hear you. I used your estimate as an example of a larger question. Thanks for clarifying. ; )

a pedestrian bridge would be far far lower than 15m. The demonbreun st bridge was half that.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/replacement-demonbreun-street-bridge-ready-move-forward

This is Karl Dean we're talking about, here. This is going to be a $15 million LEED Certified bridge with a moving walkway and fans to make your hair look like you were just riding in a convertible (like him).

2 people like this

They could have at least put steps from the Demonbreun St bridge to the Gulch. Short sighted people running the world again.

They could have at least put steps from the Demonbreun St bridge to the Gulch. Short sighted people running the world again.

I agree that it was shortsighted.  But realistically, there was nothing on 11th at the time.  There still isn't a whole lot on 11th even now until you get to either the northern or southern extremes of the Gulch. 

I would be OK with Metro building such stairs, but I'm more in favor of letting the private market handle those stairs by incorporating them into a development that would itself span - and address - the two street grades. 

I will say that if a pedestrian bridge and/or stairs to 11th get built, that they need to be visually appealing and most importantly well lit.  Those stairs to Church Street are utilitarian, cramped and a little scary even in the daytime.  I would assume that in order to be ADA compliant, any stairs that are built today would also include a ramp for wheelchair accessibility, and so the stairs would cover a pretty good linear distance. 

I agree that it was shortsighted.  But realistically, there was nothing on 11th at the time.  There still isn't a whole lot on 11th even now until you get to either the northern or southern extremes of the Gulch. 

I would be OK with Metro building such stairs, but I'm more in favor of letting the private market handle those stairs by incorporating them into a development that would itself span - and address - the two street grades. 

I will say that if a pedestrian bridge and/or stairs to 11th get built, that they need to be visually appealing and most importantly well lit.  Those stairs to Church Street are utilitarian, cramped and a little scary even in the daytime.  I would assume that in order to be ADA compliant, any stairs that are built today would also include a ramp for wheelchair accessibility, and so the stairs would cover a pretty good linear distance. 

I still support the idea of a pedestrian bridge, though I think it would need to come at a time where it corresponds with new development on the other side of it, between 8th and the railroad...or if something is proposed for the lot(s) between Cummins Station and Cannery Row.

And instead of ramps, why not build an elevator? It would take up much less space than ramps and easier for ADA use than a tightly constructed ramp system.

I would like the idea of incorporating that with private development...but at the same time, let's hope private development builds it for public usage. It would pretty much defeat the purpose if stairs/elevator were built within a structure and not really meant for public use (though I'm sure the public would largely use it anyways). Hopefully if the office building proposed for 11th @ Demonbreun gets off the ground, we will see this sort of thing incorporated in the design.

Could have another project starting in the Gulch this next year. I will not say which one it is though. Going to have to wait and see when the announcement comes.

Also all of the Hanson Dealership buildings are now down at the NW Mutual site.

All buildings down for the Fairfield Inn & Suites site.

The Gulch would be an excellent place for a Barney's New York and a Versace boutique.

I'm starting to think that you're just screwing with us. 

Lol park, it would be great if we could support all these places, but alas the money isn't there! Come to grips with it. It doesn't make Nashville a bad place

Lol park, it would be great if we could support all these places, but alas the money isn't there! Come to grips with it. It doesn't make Nashville a bad place

I think some of the money is there (obviously -- look at park). But the demand isn't enough to support a full store. Maybe we could support a Barney's or Versace kiosk.

Edited by UTgrad09

How about an IKEA?

See the thread for the Boyle development in the North Gulch which should be like a mini-Atlantic Station or Metropolitan at Midtown in Charlotte. I doubt that IKEA will end up there if we land one soon, but that was one of the rumored potential sites. I think Boyle has been trying to lure them. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/53078-boyle-tagged-to-develop-north-gulch-site-crosland-out-of-picture/ 

I've always thought that the gulch would be a good spot for a stand alone apple store. my room mate who works there says no way- they'll put something on the east side if anything. whatever i guess.

This is a little more positive news for Hensler than the last time he made headlines. :-)

Good deal. I would love to see this and WES get 2013 started off well. Both of those would sort of help bridge the skyline gap. I love all of these 3-7 story residential projects that are great infill...but I'm itching to see some highrise construction.

I did catch this while reading the article:

“This was always our plan — to have that northern piece be a hotel, the southern piece be a high-end, high-quality residential development and to have the corner of 12th and Demonbreun be an office tower,” Eakin said, referring to another developer’s purchase in the spring of a smaller piece of the overall property with plans to build a hotel there.

Maybe I heard this at one point and just forgot...but I was not aware of plans to build a hotel at that site. Any details on this?

This is a little more positive news for Hensler than the last time he made headlines. :-)

Boy, you ain't kiddin. And Mr. Hensler needs to stay inside for New Year's this year. :alc:  :fun:

Edited by UTgrad09

There is a company from Florida that bought the property across Demonbreun for a hotel. They are remaining silent about the plans.

There is a company from Florida that bought the property across Demonbreun for a hotel. They are remaining silent about the plans.

Ritz Carlton! Four Seasons!

Sorry...couldn't resist. :blush: