smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

nashvillwill    1269

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="smeagolsfree" data-cid="1249296" data-time="1356625241"><p>

There is a company from Florida that bought the property across Demonbreun for a hotel. They are remaining silent about the plans.</p></blockquote>

Is this plot "across Demonbreun" the site where there is/was a strip club? I will be glad to see that go.

smeagolsfree    7005
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="smeagolsfree" data-cid="1249296" data-time="1356625241"><p>

There is a company from Florida that bought the property across Demonbreun for a hotel. They are remaining silent about the plans.</p></blockquote>

Is this plot "across Demonbreun" the site where there is/was a strip club? I will be glad to see that go.

This is on the corner of 12th and Demonbreun.  The Deja Vue is not going anywhere yet. Wish it were.

ariesjow    478

Hopefully whatever hotel goes across from the Hensler project will be larger and higher end than the Fairfield Inn. I think the corner of 12th & Demonbreun deserves something significant. 

dmillsphoto    2775

I agree. But we're running out of brands that we can fit inside the loop. I think a 10-12 story hotel will suffice for that area without ruining most everybody's view from Rhythm.

• Like 1

UTgrad09    3550
Hopefully whatever hotel goes across from the Hensler project will be larger and higher end than the Fairfield Inn. I think the corner of 12th & Demonbreun deserves something significant. 

I would think it would be. Dmills is right, though...we're sort of running low on brands...plus a number of higher end brands have been thrown around with other projects in the area. I suppose we don't have a true Marriott or JW Marriott (though several of their other brands). And joking aside, if we do get a Ritz or Four Seasons or other high high end luxury hotel, I don't imagine it would be in the Gulch...either right downtown or close to Vanderbilt.

Perhaps a Crowne Plaza? I know that's not really a name that makes you say "hell yes!" But it's a pretty decent hotel, especially for business travelers.

dmillsphoto    2775

Crowne would be okay, I have seen some decent ones. Kansas City and Chicago come to mind, and a shorter version of KC would certainly fit the bill with Eakin/Hensler. In fact, this is one of the brands I had considered for the Gulch, as it would make sense for us to have it.

UTgrad09    3550
Crowne would be okay, I have seen some decent ones. Kansas City and Chicago come to mind, and a shorter version of KC would certainly fit the bill with Eakin/Hensler. In fact, this is one of the brands I had considered for the Gulch, as it would make sense for us to have it.

It seems like a lot of them are in existing buildings/remodels...so it's hard to get a good handle of what sort of "look" they have.

I can't say I'm impressed with the design (well, it's just old) of the KC Crowne Plaza...but I do like this newer Marriott right down the street from it: 

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.10003,-94.586344&spn=0.00164,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.100023,-94.586112&panoid=WbBKcMQUlupptlvQxenM-Q&cbp=12,123.09,,0,-20.92

(Crowne Plaza is on the right, btw)

I think that particular Marriott would be a good size fit for the area we are talking about.

P.S. - I forgot about the Marriott out by Vanderbilt Stadium. Yeah...we really are running low on brands.

SoundScan    611

How about a W or Kimpton brand? I generally stick with Starwood or Kimpton when I travel and Nashville doesn't really have any offerings that cater (mostly) to the young(er) and hip(per) crowd. It seems the Gulch would be the ideal area for hotel to fill that niche.

smeagolsfree    7005

Well I can throw out a few. Wyndham Grand, Planet Hollywood, Night by Wyndham also only in a couple of markets, Westgate resorts, Warwick Hotels (more international locations but a few in the states),  Grand resindence by Marriot, and this is to name just a few.

There area lot of options out there.

Think outside the box grass hoppers. :shades:

smeagolsfree    7005

It would fit in just like the 30 story guitar. William told me the same thing. For that fact it could be an anchor tenant for a large guitar.

Back to the hotels, we do not have a JW Marriott or a Hilton Hotel to name a couple more.

donNdonelson2    2012
It would fit in just like the 30 story guitar. William told me the same thing. For that fact it could be an anchor tenant for a large guitar.

Back to the hotels, we do not have a JW Marriott or a Hilton Hotel to name a couple more.

We DO have a Hilton Hotel...downtown between 4th and 5th avenues across from the Country Music Hall of Fame.  I wonder if Peabody Hotels might look at this as an option to get into the Nashville market, as it seems they have been anxious for an opportunity.  Another thought--would Marriott consider bringing in one of their flagship Marriott Marquis hotels into downtown to supplement their significant convention business in the Gaylord Hotel and Convention Center?  They might like to have a piece of the action in the downtown/gulch neighborhood!

UTgrad09    3550

$200k for a bridge doesn't sound too bad. But there's really only one suitable location for it. I don't get how it could be "unclear" where it would go. If it goes anywhere other than Pine Street to 10th than it is a waste of time and money.

• Like 2

UTgrad09    3550

That's just the master plan...

Oh, I see.

I figured that was a rather low figure.

Is this going to be another one of those "spend a bunch of money to figure out how to spend more money" projects?

MLBrumby    3706

Sorry for my grumpy mood, but I must say it is discouraging that Nashville can't seem to come up with gutsy developers to build a large downtown shopping/entertainment complex that straddles the railroad tracks. Something like that would have a tremendous amount of access from SoBro and Gulch. Its eastern entrance could be at the new roundabout... and its western entrance could be at the dead-end of Pine. Just pipe-dreaming.

timmay143    502

I noticed we haven't discussed much about the Marketstreet-Emery split.  It got lost under the bits thread before we opened these new threads.  Anyways, is it not that a big of a deal (I guessing so since not much has been discussed on here) or should we be a little concerned?  I see where Emery commented that he feels the Gulch is going more retail and residential (duh) and the need for office space is not there right now.  He also said Marketplace can afford to sit a wait.  What's use-guys thoughts?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/11/29/marketstreet-and-pat-emery-part-ways.html

bwithers1    865

Sorry for my grumpy mood, but I must say it is discouraging that Nashville can't seem to come up with gutsy developers to build a large downtown shopping/entertainment complex that straddles the railroad tracks. Something like that would have a tremendous amount of access from SoBro and Gulch. Its eastern entrance could be at the new roundabout... and its western entrance could be at the dead-end of Pine. Just pipe-dreaming.

Again, the issue here is CSX.  The city of Nashville will most likely have to use eminent domain if it wants to construct a road (Division Street connector) or a public walking bridge over the tracks.  And that may be doable and provide some benefits.  But no developer in Nashville is going to want to spend the $$ that CSX would demand for private development - such as a downtown mall - that would span the tracks.  Heck, downtown retail is already a hard sell! 

I personally don't think that the railroad tracks themselves are that much of a problem for the Gulch.  In fact, they are what makes Cummins Station/Cannery and especially the Gulch what they are.  The pedestrian nature of the sidewalks on 11th has an allure precisely because of this industrial feel.  I also don't think that in its present form the Gulch actually suffers from a slight disconnect from downtown, but probably benefits from it moreso.  I mean, nearly everyone going to the Gulch who doesn't already live there is driving or biking.  As a nightlife destination, that's not going to change unless we have public transit that people want to ride that runs every few minutes at least through 2:00 AM and going to all parts of town.  I don't forsee that happening in my lifetime in Nashville.  Whereas the slight disconnect of the Gulch means that there are fewer entrances and exits, and that is actually a plus from a security standpoint as long as people are smart enough to stay off the tracks at night.

I would say that the businesses in the Gulch do currently benefit from downtown workers coming there for lunch on the Green Line, or riding bikes, so I don't see a whole lot changing in that regard even if a new pedestrian bridge is built.  Conventioneers are likely going to take cabs to the Gulch, just like they do in every other city.  But realisitically, other than the MCC, the western end of downtown is dead.  At least right now, there aren't even any hotels announced for that portion of downtown.  And few if any attorneys from the law firms in the Pinnacle or Baker Donelson buildings on the eastern edge of downtown, or the state government workers on the north end, are going to walk over a mile to get to the Gulch for lunch and then back.  That just isn't going to happen.

So it seems to me that building a shopping center over the railroad tracks, in particular, would have pretty immense logistical costs that would necessitate very high rents.  And you're not going to put a Saks Fifth Avenue or a Neiman Marcus along a roundabout that has a panoramic view of the Nashville Rescue Mission.

But maybe I could see a downtown shopping center built on a land bridge over the interstates.  The Federal Government is probably easier to work with in terms of air rights than CSX.

dmillsphoto    2775

But maybe I could see a downtown shopping center built on a land bridge over the interstates.  The Federal Government is probably easier to work with in terms of air rights than CSX.

"Is it tall enough to fit an oversized load under? Yeah? Good to go" - Federal Government

"Is it tall enough to fit a auto-carrier under? NO!" But it's 35' above the tracks "NO!" But, can you just  reas "NO" - CSX

Neigeville    67

.  Conventioneers are likely going to take cabs to the Gulch, just like they do in every other city

On the contrary, I think the great advantage MCC has over every other city whose convention center I've seen, is you walk out the door and hotels, restaurants, bars and music venues are not a cab ride away, just a few steps.  At this moment the development that will follow in SoBro isn't there yet, and we don't know what will follow on the 7.5 acre tract on the roundabout, but it will not be long. When the area is developed this is going to seem like a very short walk for many people.  The issue isn't what it's like now, but in the future.

I mean, nearly everyone going to the Gulch who doesn't already live there is driving or biking.

This is an argument for making the Gulch more pedestrian connected, not less.

And given the need homeless shelters have for $ they can probably be induced to relocate, although they will need to stay somewhere DT since that's where the homeless people are always going to be. 

I think they are wise to plan for a pedestrian bridge connecting the Gulch.  The idea of a shopping center over the tracks when there are so many easier tracts available seems remote, however, at least for many years.

Edited by Neigeville