smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

My best [email protected] is Metro will not do anythiing with the Ped bridge this year, because of the budget shortfall. Even if the money has been approved Briley will not let it happen because of the way it loks in a shortfall year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My best [email protected] is Metro will not do anythiing with the Ped bridge this year, because of the budget shortfall. Even if the money has been approved Briley will not let it happen because of the way it loks in a shortfall year.

dont be shocked if zach liff of DZL (owner of all the land around the tracks) does something to boost this thing along quicker though. the wheels are spinning rapidly in those offices

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed... but if the fence has to be there, PLEASE tell me that it doesn't have to be a chain link fence.

I'm thinking that if that fence has to be that tall, that you can't see over it...they may as well make it a design element somehow where it goes all the way up to the supports.  At least make it look like it's part of the design instead of a chainlink fence.  I bet there is some type of material out there that would work like a chainlink fence but would actually look halfway decent.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I agree, the optics wouldn’t look good when metro schools and metro general are hemorrhaging money and there’s been a raise/hiring freeze for a while. 

1 minute ago, Pdt2f said:

I agree, the optics wouldn’t look good when metro schools and metro general are hemorrhaging money and there’s been a raise/hiring freeze for a while. 

Just so we are clear, Metro schools budget is up over last year with fewer kids. Metro General is bleeding money and options should be looked at, including shuttering the facility. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, samsonh said:

Just so we are clear, Metro schools budget is up over last year with fewer kids. Metro General is bleeding money and options should be looked at, including shuttering the facility. 

That option has been/is being looked at.    You’ll recall Mayor Barry rolled out a plan to slash the budget and convert it from an inpatient facility (ie a hospital) to more of an urgent care facility.     The plan was met with an uproar from the North Nashville community and was quickly withdrawn.      Similar to transit, the backlash might have been avoided had the mayor’s office approached the funding issue differently instead of just dropping the bomb on the hospital board and the community.        The Metro General board has now been charged with coming up with a revised operating plan and a budget the hospital can live with.     The funding issue will be back.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Gulch Union (at Deja Vu??)...  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/06/20/texas-money-finances-new-20-story-tower-on.html

The building will be joined by a 16 story hotel and 28 story residential tower and be called Gulch Union. Financing by International Bank of Commerce (not to be confused with Milburn Drysdale's bank). Construction to start in August and be completed by May 2020. 

A Texas real estate investor and a Texas-based bank have committed to finance construction of a 20-story tower at a gateway into downtown, where the Déjà Vu Showgirls strip club once operated.

Endeavor Real Estate Group, a developer in Austin, has partnered with co-investor Granite Properties to redevelop the city block of Demonbreun Street between 12th and 13th Avenues South, a site perched above the downtown interstate loop. International Bank of Commerce (Nasdaq: IBOC) is providing the loan to build the first of three planned high-rises, a 329,000-square-foot glass office building.

More information can be viewed on the Gulch Union Thread

• Like 2

I love this! Their initial plan to make it a 2-story showcase Firestone was not the best use for the property. I think they will make a bank.

it is us too bad the McDonalds was just rebuilt....missed opportunity for sure.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Definitely a missed opportunity.  I wish it was a McDowell's instead.

I was hoping for a WacArnold's

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Atlanta-based restaurateur and chef Ford Fry is looking to put one of his Tex-Mex Superica restaurants in the one-story cinder block building at 601 Overtone St. in the Gulch. The building will get a thorough remodeling. Rumors are that there may be  a second restaurant in the structure eventually as well.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21010472/noted-atlanta-chef-eyes-texmex-eatery-for-gulch

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 8.05.58 AM.png

I love seeing that area of the Gulch keep growing, but on a related note, I really hope something high-profile takes the place of the Yahoo Brewery and ReStore sites -- the "back" area of the Gulch never seems to get the foot traffic as the newer Urban Outfitters-Thompson Hotel-Bar Louie side seems to draw.  Not sure what the solution is to fix that. Maybe better signage/maps/branding around the neighborhood to make the area feel cohesive?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

I love seeing that area of the Gulch keep growing, but on a related note, I really hope something high-profile takes the place of the Yahoo Brewery and ReStore sites -- the "back" area of the Gulch never seems to get the foot traffic as the newer Urban Outfitters-Thompson Hotel-Bar Louie side seems to draw.  Not sure what the solution is to fix that. Maybe better signage/maps/branding around the neighborhood to make the area feel cohesive?

If something substantial gets built on the RJ Young property it could help move some of that action east, as well. 

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

Right now, it's probably a function of the tenant mix in the "back area".     Unless you're going to Peg Leg's or Barista Parlor or Arnold's, there are very few retail destinations of the type that generate foot traffic.     If more of the industrial buildings are converted to restaurant/retail like the above, it could become more of a walking destination.      But with the property values being where they are and a large percentage of each parcel currently used as surface parking, I think the economics will drive future development toward assembling parcels and wholesale redevelopment. 

A Tesla Supercharger received permits to be installed in the Gulch Crossings parking garage on the first level.  It will be a total of 12 bays and should be a fairly high use destination given its location at the intersection of three interstates.  There aren’t a ton of truly urban Superchargers in this part of the US, and I suspect it will quickly become a favorite for Tesla owners given all the amenities around it. 

• Like 3

I will say there is a second rest. in that building and not sure what it is. There is also something up with 2 other properties in that area, one being the Yazoo site and I have heard the brand that is rumored. There is another property close and that something is percolating.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is also something up with 2 other properties in that area, one being the Yazoo site and I have heard the brand that is rumored. There is another property close and that something is percolating.

I'm hoping the other property you're referring to is the RJ Young site.  That one's got a TON of potential being on both sides of Division.  And I hope whoever does the Yazoo site also buys and incorporates the Habitat site as well.