smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

On 4/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, MLBrumby said:

Lots of good examples you've shown. I think that stretch of interstate being adjacent to the coveted Gulch and Midtown sections would make this idea especially feasible in a few years. I realize it's a stretch to assume that TDOT could get out of its own way, but if they could see the feasibility, they should start planning for that now. It would take 10-15 years to be a reality. I remember when the Robinson Humphrey's Financial Center was planned above GA400, and it took years to plan... and (surprisingly) not a long time to build in comparison. Of course, the funding for GA400 was all from tolls. 

Um, back on topic...

I've been wondering is there is some improvement needed to the interstates before we cap them.  I guess we could build a second level of I-65 to the east of downtown rather than the west.  If TDOT has a wish list of things they want to do to that stretch of I-40/I-65, would they delay capping until they had checked all the boxes on their list?

Saw this article on News Channel 5 about the Downtown Antique Mall closing on May 31.  Did any of the other businesses in this triangle also get notices?  There was a posting here about the owner asking the city to condemn the street and two alleys so that it could combine the parcels.  Sounds like there is some movement here.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on-the-rise/nashvilles-downtown-antique-mall-closing-after-nearly-30-years

8 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Saw this article on News Channel 5 about the Downtown Antique Mall closing on May 31.  Did any of the other businesses in this triangle also get notices?  There was a posting here about the owner asking the city to condemn the street and two alleys so that it could combine the parcels.  Sounds like there is some movement here.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on-the-rise/nashvilles-downtown-antique-mall-closing-after-nearly-30-years

The move to abandon the alleys was started abiut 6 months ago. I do think something is up, but I hope and think the buildings will not come down. The owner from my understanding loves the older buildings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, Andy20 said:

The Atlanta Financial Center is a prime example of what we could do. Built right over Ga 400.

OK so I've driven under this several times. Appears like an actual bridge supports the edifice. Given that concrete bridges and overpasses last about 60 to 65 years, what does that mean for this structure?  I know that water damage, corrosion and fatigue from vibrations is much less than an actual traffic carrying bridge, but can anyone tell me how these factors into the future of this whole structure?

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 1:01 AM, dragonfly said:

OK so I've driven under this several times. Appears like an actual bridge supports the edifice. Given that concrete bridges and overpasses last about 60 to 65 years, what does that mean for this structure?  I know that water damage, corrosion and fatigue from vibrations is much less than an actual traffic carrying bridge, but can anyone tell me how these factors into the future of this whole structure?

Many highway overpasses have a definite shelf life only because it becomes cheaper to replace the bridge than to rehabilitate it. The cost-benefit ratio changes a bit when it's the foundation of a building.

I'm not familiar with the Atlanta Financial Center but it's also possible the building is designed such that the load is supported to the sides of the roadway (meaning the bridge/tunnel is only supporting the first few floors).

I lived about a mile from there when it was built. I remember so many piers... probably 50-60. I'd bet that building could stand without the tunnel beneath it. 

• Thanks 1

Colts Chocolates is moving from their home at 609 Overton St. in theGulch to a larger facility in the Inglwood neighborhood.  This will free up 10,000 sq. ft. of space for MarketStreet Enterprises immediately to the north of The James mixed-use development in the Gulch.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21069051/colts-chocolates-to-leave-gulch-for-inglewood

609 Overton, the Gulch, May 16, 2019, site map 1.png

609 Overton, the Gulch, May 16, 2019, site map 2.png

• Like 2