smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

1 minute ago, erdichia said:

Isn’t this the site where someone wanted to put the guitar shaped building? Does mean we might actually get a decent project here now? (It’s going to be the first thing you see when driving up from south of town on I-65)

I actually think the highlighted portion incorrectly shows where Travis Kelty wants to build his very bland apartment towers, and the site in the aforementioned article is to the right of it.

Travis Kelty is the one who wanted the guitar shaped building, which is now the stucco apts. 

Walked by Colt's Chocolates last night and it appears almost completely empty.  Has anyone been by their new digs in Inglewood?  Are they up and running with a store, like they had in The Gulch?

On 6/6/2019 at 10:40 PM, Baronakim said:

Ok gang, 3 weeks to go until retirement.   Thought I would walk around the office and give y'all pic updates on the construction around the Gulch.  Endeavor is slowly nearing finishing the glass at the top.  333 is going up fast. I took the from the parking deck at 4:00.  The next one I had taken at lunch.... fast steel erection!    Gulch Union is putting up columns for the 4th floor. The W is getting ready to pour the 2nd parking level up.  Asurion proceeds in its giant hole.  The Hyatt Grand now pokes over Union Station Hotel rather well. The tower at 5th & Broad gets more impressive every day a. The work over on 5th and on third looks much more complete.  I'll probably do one more round in 3 weeks before I pass into the sunset of retired gentry.  Enjoy.

IMG_20190606_092343434_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190606_170801005.jpg

IMG_20190606_091803906.jpg

IMG_20190606_091622555.jpg

IMG_20190606_091721800.jpg

IMG_20190606_092307352.jpg

IMG_20190606_091957618_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190606_091852539.jpg

Congrats on the upcoming retirement. I’m thinking about shutting it down also, in 2062 :) 

• Like 2

Epiphany, an interior design shop on 8th Avenue S across from Carter Vintage Guitars, has a 'Moving Sale' sign in the window, another sign that the triangle of six properties there (not yet given a name on UP) is moving toward consolidation and eventual development.  The antique mall next door closed on May 31.

• Like 3

4aff6f7f-d38a-4a55-a1cc-cda29b667cb0

Sorry if this was already posted, but this is my first time seeing these renderings of what could become of the Vorhees building on 8th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I am thinking those may be several years old. That was the original plan I think before the entity out of NY bought it.

They may have rsurected those plans .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

4aff6f7f-d38a-4a55-a1cc-cda29b667cb0

Sorry if this was already posted, but this is my first time seeing these renderings of what could become of the Vorhees building on 8th. 

What exactly is notorious about 8th Ave S?

Happy retirement, my friend. And good luck with the Notre Dame proposal. It is striking and unique, something the French love in their architecture.

Congrats, @Baronakim!  Wish you the best on the Notre Dame proposal!  We're grateful to benefit from your talents here at UP.

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Officially hung it up yesterday after 50 years.....RE-Tired.  I took a last walk around the office and took some updates of the projects going up all around ESa.  3 weeks has made some real progress on some of these sites.    Oh yes, the Notre Dame competition was NOT canceled after all, so I submitted my entry this morning.    It would be amazing to win it!

Ron..... is the upcoming Luna  meeting on next weekend at the same restaurant?

Congrats and good luck on the retirement and the entry.

Yes we are still going to meet at Luna Llena, however they now charge for parking there, so my recomendation is parking at state lot 14 at the corner of 4th and Harrison. As far as I know the state lots are free on the weekends, and someone needs to correct me if I am wrong about that. Three hours in the Luna Llena lot is around 10 dollars. Metered parking on the street is 2 dollars an hour with a two hour limit as Metro continues to run their parking service poorly and inefficiently.

There is some free parking on the street on 3rd, but the construction workers usually grab those up early.

• Like 1

Hey Ron - what time is it at Luna?  I would like to join again if possible?  10am? Thanks - Adam

2 hours ago, abick16 said:

Hey Ron - what time is it at Luna?  I would like to join again if possible?  10am? Thanks - Adam

Correct, 10 am. And, as Ron stated, I normally park at 4th & Harrison in either the state surface lot (by the railroad) or the state parking garage. Both are free on the weekends unless there is a special event 

• Like 1

@Baronakim Looks like the voting is finally up for the Notre Dame contest - yours is #10178 right? (https://www.designnotredame.com/design-submissions/10178).

Browsing through the other designs while I'm at it ... a couple worthwhile proposals, a cute entry by a 12-year old ... and then there's the river in the sky with giant ships (which I think you mentioned), topped by the separate person who wants to knock down nearby buildings to build a pair of 500m glasses of red wine (#10101). Interesting ...

Sorry to derail this thread even further, I haven't forgotten that this thread is for The Gulch haha.

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 2