The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

14 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

It's a 1.5 miles from downtown and 1/2 mile from a Sunrail stop, not to mention one of the most frequent LYNX routes on Orange, if anything it should be bigger.

Agreed.  It should be much bigger.  This is the opposite of a BMW dealership in a cornfield and it needs to keep spreading to the SunRail station.

19 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Virginia has been a highly underdeveloped street with tons of potential. This development should help to bookend the western edges of Virginia and hopefully push infill eastward. 

Hopefully..the beer and tacos will move out and some higher end establishments will come in to create Park Ave II...   *******dodge******   :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Hopefully..the beer and tacos will move out and some higher end establishments will come in to create Park Ave II...   *******dodge******   :)

Independence Lane in Maitland will be Park Ave II if they can keep re-developing south of Packwood and end at Lake Lily. 

• Like 1

Like the infill eastward bit, looking forward to the phase II[III] Yard south of Virginia.  But want to keep the beer and tacos.  Love that the Hideaway is appropriately staying tucked in to the development.  Let Park Ave be Park Ave, and let Virginia/Ivanhoe be Virginia/Ivanhoe.  The developer of the Yard chose the location because of the Ivanhoe Village culture that he didn't want to change.  That's one of the reasons this is my fave.  From Ten10 to Lucky Lure .... keep the good stuff.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Like the infill eastward bit, looking forward to the phase II[III] Yard south of Virginia.  But want to keep the beer and tacos.  Love that the Hideaway is appropriately staying tucked in to the development.  Let Park Ave be Park Ave, and let Virginia/Ivanhoe be Virginia/Ivanhoe.  The developer of the Yard chose the location because of the Ivanhoe Village culture that he didn't want to change.  That's one of the reasons this is my fave.  From Ten10 to Lucky Lure .... keep the good stuff.

More liquor and food in Ivanhoe/Virginia honestly.  I just had a friend in town for 5 days and didn't go there once because he's not much of a beer drinker and unless you want a sit down meal, there's not really any food options (Granted on a previous trip we had been to Lamb and Imperial).

Also, agreed on scale being right if not too small.  It's in-essence fronting a major throroughfare.  We need to get to a point where Orange avenue is one big urban playground between the two hospitals (and beyond to SoDo).  There should never be more than a block without some sort of destination.

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

I wish we have a restaurant row in downtown. Dr Phillips is a long hike. Get it together, Thomas Chapman...

Personally, I'm only eating $100 meals for a special occasion or when a vendor is paying.  IMO that's by and large a car destination.  Let Dr P have that market

• Like 1

Agree college drunks seem to be too prevalent in the orange church wall st area, but Ivanhoe/Virginia not so much.  That's a more  bohemian local mix.  Bring more food but also keep the food trucks.  More places like White Wolf would be good.  Santiago's Bodega is a nice example too.  I've done Luma and Bosporus and they're great but not a fit on Virginia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I think we need a mix if we want business travelers, conventioneers, tourists to come DT.  I personally would like a mixed crowd. I don't care to be overrun w college drunks all the time

...get used to it even more so once the UCF campus opens...

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I think we need a mix if we want business travelers, conventioneers, tourists to come DT.  I personally would like a mixed crowd. I don't care to be overrun w college drunks all the time

Agreed entirely.  We have some... Kres.  DoveCote.  Artisans Table.  Rusty Spoon.  Do we need more?  Absolutely.  A Restaurant Row worth of stuff?  Ehhhh, pass.  High priced restaurants tend to be destinations that people stay at for hours on end.  How is that helping the urban cause.  Kres is massively successful, but it's an absolute nothing to Church Street.  It may as well be a closed storefront.

I loved when Graffiti opened Cafe Red on Church, too bad no one else did.  We need more have an app and casual drink type places moreso than high end restaurants in my opinion.

But back to on topic, agreed with @cwetteland.  Ivanhoe's eclectic mix is great.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:21 PM, Naqiy90 said:

It's a 1.5 miles from downtown and 1/2 mile from a Sunrail stop, not to mention one of the most frequent LYNX routes on Orange, if anything it should be bigger.

That's fine. I don't agree. I do think Ivanhoe should continue to be developed to a point, but this is overkill to me. Some more buildings that are proportionate to the actual neighborhood would do the area a lot of good, I think. And I do agree that the Virginia Dr area has tons of potential, but I think it should've been more gradual. As a result, sadly, I envision a lot of the smaller places being pushed out of this area. 

5 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Agree college drunks seem to be too prevalent in the orange church wall st area, but Ivanhoe/Virginia not so much.  That's a more  bohemian local mix.  Bring more food but also keep the food trucks.  More places like White Wolf would be good.  Santiago's Bodega is a nice example too.  I've done Luma and Bosporus and they're great but not a fit on Virginia.

Exactly. That kind of balance would work well, I think. There's a reason downtown is downtown. Ivanhoe Village is it's own place and doesn't need this massive of a project.

Edited by Xander

Charlotte has mixed of restaurants downtown and I think it is great. I seldom eat at downtown because it is over price for little or no service for the price they charged (besides they are mostly tacos and beer for a quick meal).  I don't mind paying 50 to 60 per meal but for me dining is an experience. If I have to sit in sticky table with dirty floor and music blasting at the back ground and eat on paper plate, I will pass.  I don't even go to food truck because the price they charged are outrages.  World of Beer constantly smell horrible and the patio floor is disgusting.  Orlando constantly ranked high on food scene is because the fancy restaurants in Dr Phillips & Disney.  I just want to be able to enjoy that downtown, which is supposed to be the centre of everything Orlando.

For example, the food truck park that just recently opened by Colonial has a pho truck. They were charging 10 dollars for a bowl of noodle soup. You have to wait at the truck for them to cook it like a Mc Donald style. So I just walked right back out and go across the street, paid 8 to 9 bucks for pho with service.

As for the Yard, I agree, it should be bigger. If the entire Virginia Dr can be lined with 3 to 5 stories retails with condo above, it will look great. Is there any chance that they can just close the street from traffic permenantly?

In other cities, the have a program which they would close down the street on certain day of the year...Virginia drive is perfect for that.

Restaurant rows exist where there are expense accounts. In Orlando, that’s in the convention center area, aided and abetted by the high-end neighborhoods.

Until you go back in time to the 1970’s and get the voters to choose downtown for the convention center instead of the attractions area, that’s not likely to change. 

Charlotte’s in a different situation because of all the financial types on expense accounts that are uptown.

Otherwise, just as Vegas’ high end facilities aren’t downtown, neither are ours. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Restaurant rows exist where there are expense accounts. In Orlando, that’s in the convention center area, aided and abetted by the high-end neighborhoods.

Until you go back in time to the 1970’s and get the voters to choose downtown for the convention center instead of the attractions area, that’s not likely to change. 

Charlotte’s in a different situation because of all the financial types on expense accounts that are uptown.

Otherwise, just as Vegas’ high end facilities aren’t downtown, neither are ours. 

This is exactly why I would like to see a smaller conv center DT. We can have 2. Its not exclusive...