The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

17 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I understand the sentiment and agree that Orlando needs to demand better design in modern development. I’ve been one of the biggest proponents of preservation on this forum over the years. 

It’s hardly an Orlando phenomenon, though. What is uniquely Orlando is that there is a lack of civic engagement in preservation and demand to incorporate existing structures into new development.

I also think this city is incredibly slow at enhancing the uniqueness of its neighborhoods. It seems to rely too heavily on developers to make changes in order to force improvement. An example that always strikes me is that Orlando doesn’t really update streetscapes unless a new development is built (hence the patchwork look of Rosalind, for example).

It all starts at City Hall. Both Buddy and Mayor Bill are corporate attorneys who have project-oriented outlooks. It shows.

Ironically, Glenda Hood was all about the neighborhoods but she was perceived as moving too slow on downtown as a result. (A big part of that was because she was all in trying to save light rail.)

The city commissioners should be the protectors of the neighborhoods but that has rarely been their agenda. Patty’s very worthwhile goal has been increasing diversity but she’s been mostly content following Buddy’s lead on infrastructure, zoning and the like. Robert Stuart has pretty much followed the wishes ofCollege Park’s neighbors with the exception of The Princeton. That comes as a consequence of his being born and raised there. Outside College Park, he’s been more than happy to follow Buddy’s big project lead.

Buddy came in with a charge to get the venues done and to get downtown and Parramore moving. He’s done that but with a top-down rather than an organic approach.

The next mayor (if there is one, it seems that Buddy may be mayor-for-life) and the next group of commissioners will need to dial that back and be more mindful of the grass roots. That’s my goal for the 2019 city elections.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It all starts at City Hall. Both Buddy and Mayor Bill are corporate attorneys who have project-oriented outlooks. It shows.

Ironically, Glenda Hood was all about the neighborhoods but she was perceived as moving too slow on downtown as a result. (A big part of that was because she was all in trying to save light rail.)

The city commissioners should be the protectors of the neighborhoods but that has rarely been their agenda. Patty’s very worthwhile goal has been increasing diversity but she’s been mostly content following Buddy’s lead on infrastructure, zoning and the like. Robert Stuart has pretty much followed the wishes ofCollege Park’s neighbors with the exception of The Princeton. That comes as a consequence of his being born and raised there. Outside College Park, he’s been more than happy to follow Buddy’s big project lead.

Buddy came in with a charge to get the venues done and to get downtown and Parramore moving. He’s done that but with a top-down rather than an organic approach.

The next mayor (if there is one, it seems that Buddy may be mayor-for-life) and the next group of commissioners will need to dial that back and be more mindful of the grass roots. That’s my goal for the 2019 city elections.

That and transit. We need a dedicated public transit tax or some sort of dedicated funding, like from tolls.  SunRail is screwed if it doesn’t happen by the time the counties take over.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

That and transit. We need a dedicated public transit tax or some sort of dedicated funding, like from tolls.  SunRail is screwed if it doesn’t happen by the time the counties take over.

This. Orlando metro has no plan for mass transit expansion.  A lot of people think the answer is Disney — it’s not. Look to Anaheim. It will take the courage of a different mayor and commissioner to push through a real transit plan. 

Orlando, with its 50 million visitors, could already have a rail infrastructure.

LA doesn’t care to expand its rapidly expanding metro system to Disney and Anaheim has also turned on Disney.

Meanwhile, Universal Hollywood has been connected to the LA red line (heavy rail) now for 20 years.

• Like 3

Geez, I hate to say it but this monstrosity doesn’t fit in this location. I really want to look the other way because this project represents something Orlando continues to need — urbanism — but it’s massive for this area and sticks out terribly. It looks more like a hospital or maybe a factory. They should’ve built this closer to downtown where its fit is less questionable and more in line with surrounding buildings.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Geez, I hate to say it but this monstrosity doesn’t fit in this location. I really want to look the other way because this project represents something Orlando continues to need — urbanism — but it’s massive for this area and sticks out terribly. It looks more like a hospital or maybe a factory. They should’ve built this closer to downtown where its fit is less questionable and more in line with surrounding buildings.

oh, the irony of this being here and Crescent being across from the O Co Ctse.

• Like 3

I'd argue that this development sets a new president in Ivanhoe Village in which further developments can be modeled after. I honestly think those homes south of Lake Formosa between Mills and Orange Ave should be on the chopping block soon for some seriously dense redevelopment.

Extending the "urban-ness" north towards the Winter Park border, East towards OEA, South towards Pinelock and West towards John Young is the direction we should go in. Focusing more on denser infill, and building up missing middle projects. Ivanhoe Village/Mills 50/Little Saigon is where all our cities cool/artsy/hip development is going to flourish for the foreseeable future. Might as well develop them to be eye-catching.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Absolutely true. The Lake House likely wouldn't be happening if this wasn't going up as well. I'm convinced this will continue to happen until they've essentially ruined what makes Lake Ivanhoe what it is. Sorry, but in no way am I excited about $1500 per month apartments, in this or any area.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xander said:

Absolutely true. The Lake House likely wouldn't be happening if this wasn't going up as well. I'm convinced this will continue to happen until they've essentially ruined what makes Lake Ivanhoe what it is. Sorry, but in no way am I excited about $1500 per month apartments, in this or any area.

I continue to be amazed by the desire for an endless parade of soulless Stalinesque or bland Baker Barrios architecture while wiping out sometimes quaint, often funky neighborhoods. We’re doing the urban equivalent of saying, “No Winter Gardens, please, we like Casselberry!”

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I continue to be amazed by the desire for an endless parade of soulless Stalinesque or bland Baker Barrios architecture while wiping out sometimes quaint, often funky neighborhoods. We’re doing the urban equivalent of saying, “No Winter Gardens, please, we like Casselberry!”

I'm looking forward to the day that Orlando says "you know......instead of just wanting what dozens of cities already have, let's come up with something unique". It's like someone has this checklist and is going "ok, we need 4 more of these, then 3 more of these, then we'll be like everyone else". Ivanhoe Village is a very unique area already. Any change that happens there should be modest, subtle and compliment what the area already has, or else then, it's not Ivanhoe Village. I fear this will be an ongoing process in the area for the next 10 or so years of buying older buildings, bulldozing them and continuing this seemingly mad rush to build as many "luxury apartments" and condos as possible. 

• Thanks 1

I would much prefer a project of this magnitude up the street by Florida Hospital and around the Sunrail station. It would have fit in much better, kept Ivanhoe Village as it was, and improved density around Public Transportation system as well as a high use/employment area.  That would still be in walking distance to Ivanhoe Village. Where it is, it will be a largely car driven gentrification catalyst with more traffic in the area, rising rents, and overall not the best things for current residents and businesses. 

I don't think the overall design is bad, per se, and one of the better BB designed communities aesthetically, but it does kind of ruin the charm of the neighborhood, which is a shame.  Totally agree with the poster above about the irony of how this is here instead of like DT right next to Lynx Central or up at the FH stop as it should be. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

What’s cool about Florida Hos... oops, AdventHealth, is that they’ve mostly kept themselves confined to an area north of Princeton and well south of Orwin Manor.

Within that campus, they may go as tall as they like, while doing more neighborhood-appropriate fill-ins outside that zone. And, best of all, they’ve mostly kept the trees! (They did, sadly, take out on Orange Ave. a 1940’s era, incredibly ornate, former Howard Johnson’s restaurant that was totally unlike any HoJo you’ve ever seen, if you remember HoJo’s at all).

They were also all in from the very beginning about transit.

One reason for that: they’ve been a part of the community for 110 years (yep, I was born there in the Dark Ages).

The thing about developers is that most of them are agnostic about what they build or where. Most of them aren’t even local and have no stake in how things end up. Their goal is to make the most money possible and it’s up to us to make certain what gets built becomes something we’re proud of.

It’s not always NIMBYism, sometimes it’s stewardship and pride of place.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, codypet said:

Anyone have a pic of that Hojo?

I can’t find one of that specific location, but it would have been somewhat similar to this 1948 version:

As I recall, ours had much larger windows in the dining room area to the right, however.

074b28d820f0d8c855438c4e7a04425e.jpg

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

All along  I've been thinking that the Yard was being built in two phases.  Phase one is what we see now well out of the ground, and phase two was the North end (north of the garage).  Went by there to day and see significant  foundation work going on in the North end.  Most of it several feet lower below grade than previous work.  Anyone know specifics?  Also looking good is the red brick work on the restaurant (or food hall) south of the tanks.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 7:10 AM, Uncommon said:

I'm holding out until its done.  I think it may be one or two stories too tall, but its a perfect bookend to Mills Park on the other end of Virginia.  At least this one is attractive (from the renderings) and not all wood frame.