The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

Orlando Ballet finds new homes for school, dancers

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-orlando-ballet-exits-mold-building-20130926,0,3252056.story

Glad to see they seemed to have found an answer for the Orlando Ballet after they had to leave the old Ivanhoe OUC plant. Kudos to all those, especially Florida Hospital, who stepped up to the plate to find a pretty quick solution.

I am concerned about where this leaves the power plant, though. I sure would hate to lose it.

Edited by spenser1058

I looked up the background on the fellow pushing the thing when they announced they were looking to build on the Catholics' parking lot. Suffice it to say, he makes the fellow who imploded Tradition Towers look like a beacon of integrity. Don't hold your breath on this hoary chestnut ever getting out of the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the OUC Building. The repairs are going to be costly. 

I sure hope they find a way to save this building.  I'm more pro-development (at least in the current time period) than anything, but there are several great looking older buildings in this area, including the OUC building and several of the art-deco buildings further down the street.  I know it's too much to hope for someone to convert this into loft spaces or condos - but what a great location!

• Like 1

Speaking of Ivanhoe Village, I have friends who own a resturant in the area and we were discussing ways to encourage the Uptown residents to head toward the Ivanhoe Row/Virginia/Mills Market area rather than across Colonial and downtown for nightlife options.  Any ideas?  We  discussed advertising, fliers - even golf carts/pedicabs.  It's actually a much more pleasing walk (along the lake once you get past the mildly confusing Orange/Magnolia/S Ivanhoe intersection).  When Uptown reaches a critical mass - if they ever get around to building The Sevens - I think this area has an awful lot of promise (Colonial is a bit of a wall).

Get YELP to sponsor a street fest on Weber with booths for the Ivanhoe Vendors. (Maybe tie it in with the Holiday Wine Walk Virginia St and Ivanhoe have had in the past)  or a 2.5k beer run up the urban trail to highland up to New Hampshire and back through the park along Lake Ivanhoe.  You need people to experience how short that walk really is and how nice the sidewalk and trail are for getting up there.

• 2 weeks later...

The building was built for industrial purposes (power and water) and I think turning it into an arts space was a stretch.  I worked there with the Opera and when Mad Cow Theatre had their offices there.  There is a new roof, I believe, and HVAC system, but the interior layout and flood-prone construction present huge obstacles.  There is a whole section of the building that hasn't been used for a number of years because of the water and mold problems.  Unlike a warehouse or factory with wide open spaces that could be divided easily for condos or offices, the interior is very segmented on the lower floors and South end of the building by very large concrete and brick walls.  There are areas that are only accessible by stairs and AFAIK would need to be completely gutted to bring into ADA compliance. 

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be rescued, but it will take a concerted effort and significant investment to make it into a usable building.

• 11 months later...

This is the first I've heard of this. Anyone have any additional info?

http://blogs.orlandoweekly.com/bloggytown/new-development-project-proposed-for-ivanhoe-village/

I know artists are leaving their studios in the area as well as so me businesses. I sit on the Fringe board, and our offices are affected. I think it's important to think about the age and therefore affordability of building stock. These new developments are nice, but if small independent businesses that drive the activity we value in our neighborhoods cannot afford rent, we'll get more of the national chains that homogenize cities.

• Like 1

Yep....we're waiting to see plans (none submitted yet). Developer wont share any...heard lots of different things thrown around. We'll post something once there's actually something share :)

Same thing here.  I got a heads up on this last week but everyone I contacted just didn't respond (at all). Whatever is happening I think few know yet and those who do are, at least for now, keeping their cards close.

I'm expecting it to be a mixed use development similar to Mills Park, with retail a part of it.  

Princeton Warehouse, Theatre Downtown, Orlando Ballet and now this. Together these projects will change that area big time. 

what is princeton warehouse?

It's a project between Florida Hospital and another local non-profit to build out the space in The Princeton Warehouse and Theatre Downtown. We're waiting on them to finalize all the details and the renderings but we should be able to share more in the next couple of weeks. They've asked us to hold off posting until things are finalized. We try to respect that as much as possible :)