The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

It would be nice to see a pedestrian crossing over the SunRail tracks connecting this development to Orange Ave.  Overall I dig the industrial vibe of this development, I think that will really help it blend in with the neighborhood. I expect the single-family residents nearby to put up some fight but I'm hopefully that the density won't be cut down too much. 

i like it.

btw, it's amazing how a great rendering can really create a positive perception and create excitement around a project.  a smart developer should spend a few more dollars for outstanding project renderings and then would be better equipped to sell their project to nimbys 

• Like 1

What a fantastic project!

You guys know that walkthrough gallery/studio space on Lincoln Road in South Beach?  Can't remember what it's called.  I've always thought something to that effect would be perfect for Ivanhoe Village - wonder if there's any potential for that sort of space to be worked into this project.  

• Like 1

i like it.

btw, it's amazing how a great rendering can really create a positive perception and create excitement around a project.  a smart developer should spend a few more dollars for outstanding project renderings and then would be better equipped to sell their project to nimbys 

Nothing satisfies the NIMBY's! And I bet you will see a bunch on this one. 

• Like 1

Ivanhoe Village- this project will really create a nexus between Uptown, FH Health Village, and Mills Park.  Just like the Lucerne Towers redevelopment project just past Lake Lucerne will do to ORHS & the CBD.

If I am understanding the diagram correctly, it looks like Virginia will be the southern border.  It looks like Alden will be cut off.  It also looks like Philadelphia will be the eastern border with Lake Formosa and Lake Formosa Drive as a northern border... with the CSX tracks to the west.

Is that right?

Edited by jrs2

For all of the harping by the Rethink people about potential traffic caused by the Princeton development in College Park, this development is definitely going to cause traffic issues on Virginia - a frequently used cut-through to the Winter Park and Baldwin Park areas.  I do hope the city looks at widening the sidewalks of Virginia - there is already a critical mass of cool retail and bars/eateries now, but the sidewalk and street design are not very friendly

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They've submitted some updates to the proposal -- can anyone find a link to original info on the City website?

Article is behind the OS paywall, but you can see it from the blog feed right now.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-the-yard-at-ivanhoe-files-new-details-sketches-20141231-post.html

I like this massing better - gives a better idea of how it will look/feel. Also includes some additions to the plans:

--The plan now envisions 630 residential units, up from previous statements that suggested 585 units.

--Virginia Drive would be widened for about half a block, near Alden Road.

--About 56,905 square feet of commercial space is envisioned. The total parking spaces is listed at 1,146.

The new renderings also break up the interface on the East side of the property, so hopefully it doesn't feel as monolithic to those neighbors. And although its more "themeing" than anything else, the mix of exterior finishes and textures really helps this feel more organic than other recent developments, and hopefully won't get VE'd out.

I'm very curious if it will be possible to walk from any points in this project to N Orange over/under/on the tracks.

I wouldn't think so.  The retail is right up to Virginia so the main crossing would be at grade on Virginia.  A resident could also continue up Alden if they work at the hospital or they could cross at Princeton if necessary.  Where the mid area of the complex is, there isn't even room for a sidewalk between the tracks and Orange.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting if the developers were able to incorporate some more of the warehouses/historical elements rather than just tear down and rebuild.  This example in Perth, Australia is a larger redevelopment but still built around and incorporated pre-existing structures. http://www.architectureweek.com/2012/0125/design_1-3.html

I think the warehouse in Perth (never been to Perth) are actually old warehouse built with bricks, industrial windows....that are worth saving. When the term "warehouse" being used in Orlando, they are nothing but garage, steel buildings that are not worth saving. The one next to Mama B kind of warehouse is a tough find in Orlando.

• 1 month later...