The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

The Staff Report to the Municipal Planning Board for The Yard at Ivanhoe has been posted.

Per an earlier story, one of the key elements of this review is the abandonment of the existing Alden Rd. by the city.  The developer has said that if this is approved they hope to break ground in November.  Also, on the Alden Rd. bit, if approved, Philadelphia will be renamed Alden Rd. so the name will have continuity through the Ivanhoe Village area.

Buried in there also is the connection of the sidwalk/trail on the west side of Lake Formosa to the Gaston Park/Lake Ivanhoe sidewalk/trail.  I frequently run in this area and that small connection would be lovely - currently one who takes the Urban Trail north can turn west at Lockhaven park and follow around Lake Formosa until the sidewalk abruptly ends and your stuck on bumpy/brick Alden road and a short portion of Virgina to get back to the trail at Lake Ivanhoe.  This will also make walking from Virgina to the new Ballet building much nicer

• Like 1

Philadelphia will be renamed Alden Rd. so the name will have continuity through the Ivanhoe Village area.

The lack of this around Orlando/Orange County (and Seminole/Osceola, too!), in general, is crazy.  I've never seen so many disconnected & double/triple/quadruple named streets in my life.

Head down to the rodeo and you head down Semoran, which becomes Jeff Fuqua Blvd, which becomes Boggy Creek Rd, head to the stoplight & turn right on Boggy Creek Rd, head down and turn right on Boggy Creek Rd.  BUT bear in mind that maps don't show the second two roads as Boggy Creek Rd, just SR 530, but every sign along the way says "Boggy Creek Rd" for the entire route.  Even weirder, maps (Google, MapQuest, etc) call the 3 different routes SR 530 BOTH DIRECTIONS from the aforementioned intersections.

The same part of town: start on Lee Vista Blvd, that turns into Judge Rd, which becomes Daetwyler.

Start on Conway, which becomes Tradeport, which become Taft-Vineland Rd, which stops several miles short of the area of town called Vineland.

Start on Fairbanks, which becomes Aloma, which becomes the generic SR 426, which becomes Broadway, which becomes CR 419, which becomes Chuluota Rd, which becomes Columbia School Rd

Start on Markham Woods Rd, which becomes Douglas Ave, which becomes Wymore Rd, which becomes either N Lake Destiny OR Oranole Rd, which becomes Southall Rd, but still crosses N Lake Destiny (2: Electric Boogaloo) well South of Lake Destiny, which becomes Lake Lucien Dr in one direction and eventually becomes S. Lake Destiny Rd at some random & arbitrary point.

Start of Horatio, which becomes Howell Branch Rd, which becomes Hall Rd, but don't forget Old Howell Branch Rd, which for YEARS was just also named Howell Branch Rd and confused everyone.

Apparently, it used to be even worse.

I found an old article about all the multiple named roads around here & action that was taken on some of them years ago.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-12-02/news/9212020760_1_mcgee-state-road-orange-avenue

I still remember years ago, when hwy 50 aka Colonial Dr, used to become William B. McGee Highway then changed to W.B. ''Bill'' McGee Highway as you passed from Orlando to Ocoee, then Winter Garden & beyond.

• 1 month later...

Posting one word comments with OS articles that sit behind a pay wall is no way to go through life.  We need details! 

Basically, as the plans have called for, The Yard, or whatever name it ends up with, has always planned to remove the existing Alden Road, and front the project on what is now Philadelphia Ave.  They requested permission for that, and to rename Philadelphia to Alden and to have the intersection at Virginia align with Alden across the street, keep Alden a continuous name throughout the Ivanhoe corridor. In Feb the MPB approved their request.  The new article just says that the city counsel has now also approved it.  A previous statement said the developer hoped to break ground in November if these changes were approved.  So there's that.

Related:  Above I said " whatever name it ends up with" is because the official website says that "The Yard at Ivanhoe" and "Ivanhoe Place" are several of the working titles that may evolve as part of the creative process.

Edited by cwetteland

• 4 weeks later...

How so?

I meant crossings over the tracks.  At peak hours, the left turn from Orange southbound onto Virginia eastbound is a three light wait, as well as from virginia wesbound left turning onto Orange southbound, not to mention the wait Virginia eastbound for the light at Mills.   At Princeton and Orange it is not as bad, but I imagine the light at the new Alden and Princeton will need to address the left turns toward I-4.  I was mostly  thinking about how many more people will be living and playing on Virginia and in the Ivanhoe district.  I wish, one, that Virginia could get a rehaul with dedicated bike lanes; two, that there were could be better connectivity (more pedestrian, car, bike crossings) over the tracks at any point between Virginia and Princeton into the area by Washburn Imports as a midpoint between that long block. I know that it's wishful thinking that the city would create another crossing, or that CSX or Sunrail tracks would ever be elevated through higher populated areas. However, in addressing that type of barrier to connectivity, especially for walkers wanting to explore that area, remedying the barrier the tracks create feels important as the neighborhood achieves more density. 

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know what the hold up is on this?  This looked to be an impressive project and now all of the momentum is in Downtown South

As of January, their optimistic projections were if all of the board approvals went well they could break ground in November.  So, as of now, they are not behind schedule.

Edited by cwetteland

As of January, their optimistic projections were if all went well they could break ground in November.  So, as of now, they aren't behind schedule.

There have been a lot of tenants to move out, and everyone has different leases. I know the Orlando Fringe offices just moved a week ago, and they've been doing drilling/sampling in that area (by the Thirsty Topher).

Edited by smileguy

I guess my spidey sense was tingling...

Case Number:MPL2015-00033
Primary Address:503 BROOKHAVEN DR
Project Name:THE YARD - CROSSMAN SITE
Master Number:MPL2015-00033
Case Description:Master Plan application for 174-unit multi-family and commercial/office development. (See CUP2015-00014, GMP2015-00049 and ZON2015-00048).
Application Date:10/19/2015