The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

On 12/19/2016 at 1:36 PM, bulldogger said:

The stretch of warehouses along the train tracks has been demolished over the past week.  The large cylindrical structures are still standing.  I think it looked like the are going to incorporate that into the design.

On 12/19/2016 at 1:41 PM, RedStar25 said:

According to the renderings they are. 

I hope that's the case. It's nice to see some sense of history being preserved, in Orlando of all places especially, even if it's something simple like those silos. Reminds me of when I visited Barcelona and saw the industrial chimneys in a former industrial area that had been redeveloped. A lot of the industrial buildings have been torn down and replaced with more urban developments but it was decided that their chimneys be preserved as a testament to what was once there. Because of their tall heights, they also serve as way-finding landmarks in a way. I still lament the loss of the warehouses and character of Ivanhoe but I'm excited for The Yard.

This is a bit off tangent but relatable to what has happened to Ivanhoe: I just hope that when the city and developers turn their sights on the industrial areas of south Division, that they're not adamant about demolishing everything, that they work with what's there and retain some of the strange industrial charm it has. Simply put: I don't want a simple continuation of the CBD and I especially don't want to see more SODOs replicated in the area.

• Like 3

I applaud the industrial character of the Yard, but i think the industrial character of south division and the industrial character of ivanhoe are apples and oranges. In Ivanhoe the industrial area had already started to become part of the village community's identity, infused with a bohemian lifestyle. The warehouse buildings had a pub (Thirsty Topher, with a regular night-time food truck) and many artisans had set up shop in there.  A community culture had established itself and the industrial flavor was embraced by the residents. In south division, as far as I know, the Parramore community had not adopted the industrial segment into it's character. I suspect that the Parramore residents see the industrial area as an unwelcome intrusion into their community pushed by the NIMBYs on the other side of division and I-4.

Edited by cwetteland
  • Like 1

Yup and really being in SoDo, it's not really something we relate to much.   Out of sight/out of mind.   I'd challenge any advocate of repurposing what is there now to go property by property and give me their top 5 buildings and what they envision them becoming.  

If that is too hard, how about your top 3 design elements (like the ones being saved in Ivanhoe) that are worth saving. 

The only thing that comes to mind for me is the Merita Bread sign which is already saved and in storage 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The InBloom building used to be the Coca Cola bottler before they moved out to a Butler building off Silver Star (in the 70's, I think). When I was a kid, it had jalousie windows and you could watch the Coke bottles moving on the assembly line which was high entertainment in these parts pre-Disney.

You should write a book full of these anecdotes. I love them. I'll buy 100 copies!

• Like 4

Thanks so much. There are just so many folks who think there was no history to Orlando before Walt came to town that I like to let them know there was sentient life prior to 10/1/71. It's a two-edged sword, of course. Longtime Channel 6 anchor Ben Aycrigg (the closest we ever had to our own Walter Cronkite) observed that because of the growth his kids could stay in the area after graduating; conversely, Orange County Commission Chairman Paul Pickett told National Geographic in 1971, "No hard feelings, but I wish the Mouse had stayed in California."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

^Well done.

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Cheers, metal93!  I'm on board.   

Thanks!

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The InBloom building used to be the Coca Cola bottler before they moved out to a Butler building off Silver Star (in the 70's, I think). When I was a kid, it had jalousie windows and you could watch the Coke bottles moving on the assembly line which was high entertainment in these parts pre-Disney.

That's actually really cool, never knew Coca-Cola did bottling in that building, love learning little tidbits of pre-Disney Orlando.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Bungalower:

• "Factur has signed two leases with Crossman and Company which will add 4,500 SF of space to their Virginia Drive laboratory...The agreements cover use of the buildings for the next five years, after which they will be razed as part of the second phase of the Yard at Ivanhoe development."

Looks like the second (south) phase of The Yard won't start until at least 2022. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, cwetteland said:

According to Bungalower:

The Yard has hit a new snag, in that FDOT won't or hasn't approved the realignment of Alden Rd.  Not sure if the city take-over of Virginia Dr. in this area from the county will alleviate this. Seems to me that problem might be the proximity of the new intersection to the rail tracks.  

That should be alleviated by the City taking control of that section of Virginia Drive. They're already planning on putting in a stoplight at Alden and Virginia. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:46 PM, cwetteland said:

Yes, but I think the stoplight at Alden and Virginia is the problem, not the solution.  People coming from Orange who want to make a left on Alden will back up onto the tracks.

I agree. It's also really close to the Virginia/Orange stop light. I was just citing it as evidence that it was slowly moving forward.

Broadstone Lakehouse developer to hold town hall meeting today for Ivanhoe Village residents to discuss issues surrounding proposed mixed use high-rise...

Developer outlines plans for 10-story building proposed for Ivanhoe Village (video)

Broadstone.jpg

Alliance Realty will hold a meeting Thursday evening for residents and business owners to discuss plans to construct a $50 million 10-story building in Ivanhoe Village.

The meeting, which isn’t open to the general public, is planned for 6:30 p.m. at the Marks Street Senior Recreation Complex.

The city will consider approving the project next month.

• Like 2