The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I spent some time in Tampa/St. Pete a couple of weekends ago.  I had forgotten how much more Bithlo it is than Orlando.

I love how "Bithlo" is also an adjective.  When I first moved here in the mid-late '90's, a realtor made a reference like that to me about a neighborhood in East Orlando and I laughed my ass off, and at the time, I didn't even know that Bithlo was a real town.  But somehow I knew what she meant.  It's the perfect word...Bithlo.

The Yard:  Wow.  I drove by Lucerne Promenade yesterday along Orange Ave and Gore, and if y'all haven't done it yet, I highly suggest you do because this project is, as another forumer said a few weeks back, massive.  It really is.  Sidewalks to sidewalks.  A whole lot of mass.  Both along Orange Ave and along Gore.  Totally transformative project.  Wow.  With Earthfare going in the main building, what an asset to downtown.  It will be more urban than Mills Park and just as "urbanized" as SoDo.  And this is really big because I believe the Publix at Paramount proved you could have a successful supermarket inside a downtown building.  Walgreens at Orange & Church continues that philosophy.  Lucerne Promenade continues this and hopefully makes it into a "trend".

So, I wonder what kind of mass The Yard will bring to the Alden/ Virginia corridor(s)?  Because right now, I am really excited about Lucerne Promenade and I hope The Yard  carries that torch.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Bungalows reports Harmon Photo at Orange and Virginia is up for sale. The building is unremarkable but it's one of those stores that have been around a long time and the block won't seem quite the same after it's gone.

http://bungalower.com/2017/08/18/harmon-photo-lot-listed-sale/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Harmon Photo for most of it's existence, formerly occupy this somewhat larger building farther up the street at 1919 N Orange Ave, now occupied by Florida Hospital?

1919norange.png

I'm pretty sure they did, as I seem to recall having gone in there once some years back to get a photo enlarged.

33 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I went there to take some passport photos. It was so exepsnive that I should have just go to Walgreens.

I think that they were there more to serve the professional and serious hobbyist/artistic photographer rather than the more everyday kind of snapshot photographer.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:17 AM, JFW657 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Harmon Photo for most of it's existence, formerly occupy this somewhat larger building farther up the street at 1919 N Orange Ave, now occupied by Florida Hospital?

1919norange.png

I'm pretty sure they did, as I seem to recall having gone in there once some years back to get a photo enlarged.

Harmon Photo has been where they are currently located for decades, though they did do a significant renovation in the early 2000s.

The building you are referring to used to house Champagne Color & Camera, until they closed in 1995. Located behind and connected to the camera store is a much larger building, which used to house the regional Qualex overnight film processing facility. Champagne Color & Camera and Qualex were both owned by Kodak. When Kodak decided [for the second time] to get out of the retail business, they closed the camera store and moved the Qualex facility to a much larger building on OBT near Silver Star.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Harmon Photo has been where they are currently located for decades, though they did do a significant renovation in the early 2000s.

The building you are referring to used to house Champagne Color & Camera, until they closed in 1995. Located behind and connected to the camera store is a much larger building, which used to house the regional Qualex overnight film processing facility. Champagne Color & Camera and Qualex were both owned by Kodak. When Kodak decided [for the second time] to get out of the retail business, they closed the camera store and moved the Qualex facility to a much larger building on OBT near Silver Star.

d3884573777c80bff020544f01f6dc15e9a6840e

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 5:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

A great article in today's Sentinel about preservation vs. demolition:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-bz-orlando-historic-buildings-20170915-htmlstory.html

Most interesting is that the Ivanhoe OUC power plant is apparently about to be in play. Here's hoping we get Good Buddy instead of Bulldozer Buddy to guide OUC to a great decision on this one.

About 2 years ago or so during DTO stuff the city started floating around to people that they were looking for a use for that space and hoping someone had a plan for it. I think it has potential to be an incredible space for the right use. Going to cost a few mill but will be great to activate that area again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cwetteland said:

What exactly is your point? 

An interesting, thought provoking discussion was occurring here and you soiled it (in ways that you no doubt do not recognize).

And what you cannot recognize as a result, is that this forum just became entirely less informative and interesting. But hey, you'll get your updates easier, I guess.

Edited by prahaboheme

11 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

What exactly is your point? 

An interesting, thought provoking discussion was occurring here and you soiled it (in ways that you no doubt do not recognize).

And what you cannot recognize as a result, is that this forum just became entirely less informative and interesting. But hey, you'll get your updates easier, I guess.

oh, I get it, he typed his text in HankStrong's quote box.  I actually went back 2 pages to see what HankStrong had written in February...  But why respond to a 7 month old post when there are other more recent posts about...stuff...one could respond to?  Also, why is popsiclebrandon's text missing from the quote?  I'm confused but slightly apathetic to it- but not enough to not comment on it...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...