The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

8 minutes ago, klstorey said:

A McDonald's would do wonders with all the field trip groups

Manny Garcia had a BK at one point on Orange Ave. (when corporate bought him out, they ditched it) and before that there was a Royal Castle on Church St. Both seemed to do OK, although I'm not sure how much nighttime business they got.

Boston Market at Church Street Market didn't last long but I think part of their problem was no one knew it was there (it was tucked away on a back passageway to SunTrust.)

I ate at the Krystals in downtown Nashville a lot (but I was in my early 20's and was often an idiot.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm confused... are we anti-Ale House?  I would love a convenient Ale House that isn't obnoxiously packed because they took over a too small space like the Colonial one.

I have to admit I miss Houlihans but I'm apparently the only one since Ale House is a lot busier. I suspect I'm not the Ale House demographic, though.

9 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm confused... are we anti-Ale House?  I would love a convenient Ale House that isn't obnoxiously packed because they took over a too small space like the Colonial one.

I'm 100% in the Ale House demographic as a rabid sports fan, 4x4 pickup driving, white, straight male.  I'm highly anti-Ale House because their food is weak, their service is mind-blowingly bad, and their obsession with LITE/LIGHT beer is unconscionable. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I'm 100% in the Ale House demographic as a rabid sports fan, 4x4 pickup driving, white, straight male.  I'm highly anti-Ale House because their food is weak, their service is mind-blowingly bad, and their obsession with LITE/LIGHT beer is unconscionable. 

OK so it's not just me. We used to go to the Ale House on Kirkman Rd a lot for lunch (it's near my office) and I was struck by how generic it was. By comparison, even Bennigan's and Friday's seemed more unique. I'm sticking with the Harp and Celt.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I mean, I much prefer a good local place like Pourhouse, but for a chain I've always found their food to be significantly above average with good/great drink specials.  I love craft beer as much, if not more, than the next guy, but I'm not really looking for an advanced selection in that environment.  The fact they have Fat Tire and some Kona and Goose Island is good enough (but this is definitely their one big spot for improvement).  I literally can't think of a sports bar-ish chain I'd rather go to.  Also, one of the only places in town that consistently has an actual patio that isn't just like 3 tables on the sidewalk.

As far as food chains in general, I think Cheddar's is the only one I'd prefer.

Ale House food is consistent and the price is affordable. You paid for what you get. Good happy hour.

Santiago food is good but it easily cost me 50 bucks just not to be hungry when I leave that place. If I have to pay that much, I rather go to Hillstone which I am not overpaying for what I get.

The point is we need some chains in the Yard to drive down the price of these restaurants. I would nominate Ale House and Buffalo Wild Wings.

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

Ale House food is consistent and the price is affordable. You paid for what you get. Good happy hour.

Santiago food is good but it easily cost me 50 bucks just not to be hungry when I leave that place. If I have to pay that much, I rather go to Hillstone which I am not overpaying for what I get.

The point is we need some chains in the Yard to drive down the price of these restaurants. I would nominate Ale House and Buffalo Wild Wings.

Chains will not drive down prices for independently owned restaurants. If anything, they will just drive them out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So... the garage looks pretty complete.  However, I think the new activity since the past few weeks has been the steady construction of the "building" portion to the south of the garage close to Virginia- out of cinder blocks.  This is gonna take a while.

As a frequent Lake Ivanhoe paddle boarder, the way this structure looms over the Lucky Lure is actually really cool.  It's going to be a great addition to the area, which is already pretty flush with pedestrian and bike traffic.  I'd love some Virginia Dr sidewalk improvements though

Side note: some letters are blown out of the Chapel's neon sign and no one seems to be fixing it.  I didn't love the proposal for that site, but I'm not against something there (it would have an amazing DT view) as long as they add first floor commercial space and find a way to work that sign in the way this project is working in the old silos...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, Xander said:

Absolutely despise this project. Way too big for the neighborhood and destroys the overall feel of Lake Ivanhoe.

You could be right, and I understand why you state that.  The elevation adds to it's overall height on that side of the tracks.  That being said, I'm a "bigger is better" type.  If they finish it off right, it could transition well.  I think it will be ok...