The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

5 hours ago, sethM said:

Well I was able to get some pricing information; 1 bedrooms start around $1800 and 2 bedrooms at $2500. I can’t imagine them filling all 600 units at those rates. 

The Princeton down the road on Edgewater is a solid $3/400 less and still has 110 of their 206 units listed on Zillow, they’re also offering a free month and some other promotions. It’s worse if the 110 units aren’t including all of the ones they have available. 

Exactly why I haven't been excited about a single one of these projects- they're building all of these complexes that are completely ridiculously priced and destroying the vibe of the area. I'm sorry, but this project should've NEVER been approved, and it's upsetting that the locals allowed it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Although they’re trying to kill it with all these soulless mid-rises, Ivanhoe has a funky quality to it that makes it more interesting than downtown in many ways (and I say that as someone who’s lived downtown since God was a child).

Great area but the pedestrian experience is horrible however, I wish they would remove the on street parking on Orange and put in a shared bike/walk path, the sidewalks are so small and unwelcoming for such a vibrant district . There's not even a sidewalk along the stretch of Orange next to the Yard. The added traffic with the Yard and Lake House will make it even more unwelcoming for pedestrians and cyclists. The path along Gaston Edwards Park is nice but not very helpful for shoppers browsing the eclectic mix of retail in the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, smileguy said:

To some, Ivanhoe is a *gasp* more attractive place to live.   You get the density, great restaurants and chill bars, close to the Urban Trail and Gaston Edwards for running, get a skyline view, but don't have to deal with traffic, road closures, noise, rowdy nightlife of downtown, and can easily slip onto I-4 or walk/ride your bike a half mile to Sunrail.  

That’s why I like South Eola. You’re downtown but it’s not as insane as the CBD. It’s the perfect mix for me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Naqiy90 said:

Great area but the pedestrian experience is horrible however, I wish they would remove the on street parking on Orange and put in a shared bike/walk path, the sidewalks are so small and unwelcoming for such a vibrant district . There's not even a sidewalk along the stretch of Orange next to the Yard. The added traffic with the Yard and Lake House will make it even more unwelcoming for pedestrians and cyclists. The path along Gaston Edwards Park is nice but not very helpful for shoppers browsing the eclectic mix of retail in the area.

I am trying to get FDOT to widen a sidewalk (move the curb) on a project where they have decided not to put bicycle facilities to allow for street trees and pedestrian enhancements, and they literally don't understand the concept.  They come back confused, asking if I am talking about adding gore striping to the lane. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xander said:

Exactly why I haven't been excited about a single one of these projects- they're building all of these complexes that are completely ridiculously priced and destroying the vibe of the area. I'm sorry, but this project should've NEVER been approved, and it's upsetting that the locals allowed it.

I don’t disagree with you regarding the price. I am curious to know who these locals  are that you speak of.

I like the project. It is an upgrade to the area. I don't think any of the business down there would complain about "mid rises" being built  with people that can afford a high price apartment next to them.  With the increase food traffic and business, I would hope the local business would up their game and provide a better service.

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Although they’re trying to kill it with all these soulless mid-rises, Ivanhoe has a funky quality to it that makes it more interesting than downtown in many ways (and I say that as someone who’s lived downtown since God was a child).

How are they killing it? Lol Orlando is growing just like any other city in America 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Read Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City epic about the difference between Barbary Lane and The Summit in San Francisco and get back to us.

Take a look at the difference between 1970s San Francisco and 2019 San Francisco. It's clear that policy put in place to "protect" places like Macondray Lane has led to underdevelopment which, at an intersection with the tech boom,  has resulted in massive displacement and homelessness across the entire region, with quality of life declining for everyone.  Orlando needs to keep up with population growth in a sustainable manner (not building more and more and more suburbs/exurbs that come at high social and economic cost).

This is far from a perfect project, but unlike The Summit (999 Green), it has public gathering space, retail use, and street interaction.  It looks like this will have 590 apartments, compared to the ~200 single family homes in the Lake Formosa neighborhood, providing many more people on the street. It's very close to downtown and Sunrail, and with the geography between Orange Ave. and the RR tracks, a majority of the "funky" retail district that is there remains protected, as the small-scale, lot-by-lot development we saw last century is no longer profitable.  

Will Ivanhoe Village be the same neighborhood we have known? Probably not, but the antique stores have long ago moved out for higher-margin restaurants and bars. I see it as the natural evolution of the neighborhood, not the death knell. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe another way to look at it (and this is strictly anecdotal but I haven’t yet found a contra case so it seems to have validity):

I know a lot of people who moved into Thornton Park or Colonialtown and have ended up staying there for decades and find those neighborhoods to have a sense of being “home” (in my own case, I’ve lived in my ‘60’s era condo between Eola and TP for 17 years and have no plans to move).

Conversely, the folks I know who’ve lived in the apartment canyons of South Eola, Midtown and 55W did so on a mostly transient basis and have generally been happy to leave within a few years. We’ve had several members of UP who have fit that description.

Another anecdotal piece: as I walk precincts and look at the level of activism in neighborhoods, it’s like night and day between the differing neighborhoods. People who are just passing through rarely get involved in their local politics or as Tom Friedman has observed, “no one ever washed a rental car.”

I’m sure there are exceptions out there and, in the end people should be where they are most happy. I just wonder what kind of communities we’re building in these soulless edifices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have lived (rented) in Eola Heights for about 7 years. In that time, every single house on both sides of my street that isn't a rental has sold at least once - some up to 3 times. The only people who are still living there who were there when I moved in are renters like myself.   I have sat on boards, served on committees with neighborhood, regional, and national nonprofits, and I know folks in these "soulless" buildings who do the same. I can't count the number of fundraisers and receptions I've attended at The Sanctuary. 

When we look at transience, a significant contributing factor is also life stage and the economy we are living in.  Many of these folks are young (millennials) and may choose a more urban lifestyle and move when they decide to start a family and their needs change. Many are working in jobs and industries for companies with little to no loyalty or care for their work/life balance.  My husband has a cousin in that situation - she has a very well-paid job in finance, but bounces from office to office, staying no longer than 18 months in a single city.  Also anecdotal, but it's tough to draw lifestyle expectations for people living in a completely different economy than we have seen over the past few decades.   

Pricing has a lot to do with it as well. I was talking to a friend yesterday who bought her Thornton Park home decades ago for $30,000.  If you were able to get into the market at that rate, that's awesome.  It's a higher bar now, and to say that people are "happy to move on" completely negates any economic pressure they are experiencing as housing prices continue to increase at an alarming rate.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Businesses and residents get ready for the changes in Ivanhoe Village:

Ivanhoe Village merchants ‘excited and terrified’ to see how new apartments change the neighborhood http://bit.ly/2XxfON8

From the Sentinel 

I saw this earlier and was going to ask, does anyone here live in or close to Ivanhoe? I’m curious to know what their thoughts are, not so much on the buildings’ aesthetics, but on the impact adding another 1,500 to the neighborhood will have. Sorry to say this, but I absolutely hate the thought of apartments being built close to my home, especially if they’re not expensive or upscale.

22 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I saw this earlier and was going to ask, does anyone here live in or close to Ivanhoe? I’m curious to know what their thoughts are, not so much on the buildings’ aesthetics, but on the impact adding another 1,500 to the neighborhood will have. Sorry to say this, but I absolutely hate the thought of apartments being built close to my home, especially if they’re not expensive or upscale.

I do, however I haven't lived here for decades. I'm terrified over the traffic going down Virginia, it's already a mess during rush hour. Lake House will also be a contributing factor. 

I'm skeptical about the type of tenants they'll pull in. In my mind their ideal tenants will be more likely to rent/buy a house given the price point they're going for. 

As far as the surrounding area, I'm split on the residents supporting some of my favorite spots and making sure they stay. But it could also drive rents up and force out some of my favorite places. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Businesses and residents get ready for the changes in Ivanhoe Village:

Ivanhoe Village merchants ‘excited and terrified’ to see how new apartments change the neighborhood http://bit.ly/2XxfON8

From the Sentinel 

What? No Starbucks?  I am going to write a letter. Bring in the national chains please. I am tired of paying 50 to 60 bucks on these small plates and left the restaurant hungry.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

I was thinking the same thing everytime I drove pass there, I wish I have enough money to make Harmon a Starbucks. There isn't one by Ivanhoe or Mills.  Those fancy new renters need a SB.

Hopefully a *better* local alternative!

The site is under hard money contract, scheduled to close end of month.

"The site is now under contract to Orlando-based Property Investment Brokers (PIB), with a deposit that has gone hard and scheduled to close in roughly 150 days, pending soil remediation conditions the current owner must meet.

Bobby Luthra, director of operations with PIB, acknowledged the contract for GrowthSpotter but declined to comment on plans to redevelop or reposition the property."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-harmon-photo-property-near-lake-ivanhoe-under-contract-20180307-story.html

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

I was thinking the same thing everytime I drove pass there, I wish I have enough money to make Harmon a Starbucks. There isn't one by Ivanhoe or Mills.  Those fancy new renters need a SB.

I’m sticking with Diet Dr Pepper. Maybe that’s why I can’t imagine paying $1800/month for a 1 br apartment where you hear everything your neighbor’s doing.

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

where you hear everything your neighbor’s doing.

"Let's go downtownnnnn, order an uberrrrr, omgg... Your beard is soooo hotttttt... The show at wills tonight is sick, brunch tomrw morn most def at santiagos... See you at guesthouse Samantha!... Omg, you haven't showered in days either, so hip!" Nice koi fish sleeve you just got!..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1