The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

19 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Ehhh friend who lives there hears everything from all sides of him. The office is going to let him move into the new section top floor in  hopes that its better there but yeah not so sure about that.

I toured a while back and was shocked at how noisy it was given the concrete floors and exterior. I was fully expecting every unit to feel like a bunker but it was the complete opposite. 

On 3/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, sethM said:

I toured a while back and was shocked at how noisy it was given the concrete floors and exterior. I was fully expecting every unit to feel like a bunker but it was the complete opposite. 

Exterior noise typically comes from the windows. You can upgrade the windows if you are in a high noise environment. Think hotels near the airport. I am not an acoustcian, but there is a STC rating that is desired for those locations. 

Besides, concrete is porous and does have some sound transfers. 

Concrete columns also transfer noise especially if the gym is above a unit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

The developer is scrapping the old plan for phase 2 (the lot that previously housed The Venue) and is instead building a 3600 sqft retail with wrap around patio on most of the lot. The remaining portion will be gifted to the City as a park.

On the south side of Virginia they are now planning a revised phase 3 which would include the entitled units they are losing in phase 2 to increase phase 3 to 265 units in a 7 story building- "171 one-bedroom units, 44 studios and 50 two-bedroom units. The design has amenity space on the first floor and the seventh floor, including a fitness center and rooftop pool. " Plus 19,100 sqft of retail fronting Virginia.

Phase 1 has 591 residential units (437 are open and 154 will be delivered by August), plus 20,000 sqft of dining/ retail including the 13,000 sqft food hall- which is now "scheduled" to open this summer.

There is mention in the article that says The Hideaway will stay in the neighborhood, but does not say the building is staying. It make me wonder if the 3600 sqft building on phase 2 will be swapped for their property...???

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-yard-brookhaven-inverlad-20210604-wj7c4rcb5za7rop6ysvpvlmnm4-story.html

The redesigned Yard at Brookhaven, across from the Yard at Ivanhoe, would have ground-floor retail and 265 apartments, with no office space. This is the view from the corner of Virginia Drive and Alden Road.

According to the article, the new hideaway will be across the street. 

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The developer is scrapping the old plan for phase 2 (the lot that previously housed The Venue) and is instead building a 3600 sqft retail with wrap around patio on most of the lot. The remaining portion will be gifted to the City as a park.

I don't know how I feel about that.   I wasn't a frequenter of The Venue, but I remember those folks being pretty distraught over losing their place.  A new park is not nearly as satisfying knowing its cost was a small venue like that.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2021 at 7:35 PM, AmIReal said:

On the south side of Virginia they are now planning a revised phase 3 which would include the entitled units they are losing in phase 2 to increase phase 3 to 265 units in a 7 story building- "171 one-bedroom units, 44 studios and 50 two-bedroom units. The design has amenity space on the first floor and the seventh floor, including a fitness center and rooftop pool. " Plus 19,100 sqft of retail fronting Virginia.

Phase 1 has 591 residential units (437 are open and 154 will be delivered by August), plus 20,000 sqft of dining/ retail including the 13,000 sqft food hall- which is now "scheduled" to open this summer.

There is mention in the article that says The Hideaway will stay in the neighborhood, but does not say the building is staying. It make me wonder if the 3600 sqft building on phase 2 will be swapped for their property...???

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-yard-brookhaven-inverlad-20210604-wj7c4rcb5za7rop6ysvpvlmnm4-story.html

The redesigned Yard at Brookhaven, across from the Yard at Ivanhoe, would have ground-floor retail and 265 apartments, with no office space. This is the view from the corner of Virginia Drive and Alden Road.

Pity...It just looks like a bank building.  I liked these renderings more....

yard-6.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, codypet said:

Um I feel about this the same way I felt about Lazy Moon when it moved from University/Alafaya to its current location.  Well its not gonna work...........and then it ends up working that way.

I tend to think the owners, who have been doing this a long time, have a better feel for what their regulars will do. Hopefully this works out really well for all parties involved. Wouldn't it be nice to have a win-win situation where the Hideaway has a new building/ kitchen/ larger space/ etc across the street from the old location with very favorable terms AND the developer continue to add to that urban density thing we all supposedly support (I'm not making any comments about what they are building or the appearance- that is a different subject).

Remember when we were all excited about this development and the activation it would bring to the area...?

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I tend to think the owners, who have been doing this a long time, have a better feel for what their regulars will do. Hopefully this works out really well for all parties involved. Wouldn't it be nice to have a win-win situation where the Hideaway has a new building/ kitchen/ larger space/ etc across the street from the old location with very favorable terms AND the developer continue to add to that urban density thing we all supposedly support (I'm not making any comments about what they are building or the appearance- that is a different subject).

Remember when we were all excited about this development and the activation it would bring to the area...?

Or the owners sell and someone opens the new place. It’s incredibly sad that they knocked down the Venue just to backtrack and now they’re knocking down the Hideaway. Both places are/were dingy but that was the entire point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sethM said:

Or the owners sell and someone opens the new place. It’s incredibly sad that they knocked down the Venue just to backtrack and now they’re knocking down the Hideaway. Both places are/were dingy but that was the entire point. 

Luckily the venerable players at the Venue have kept up the tradition at other places around Orlando. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Luckily the venerable players at the Venue have kept up the tradition at other places around Orlando. 

And I think that is the bottom line... if Wills Pub burned down and he opened in a brand new, bigger joint next door with the same crew then he would be just as popular. Sometimes the people and the activity inside the building is more important than the building itself.  Let's not pretend either of these building have any significant historic value.

4 hours ago, sethM said:

If the owners sell and make a small fortune then I'd say bravo for them.

We're not just swapping building for building here. The neighborhood is gaining more residents and generating more activity, more choices and a lot more tax base in this swap. If you oppose the scale of this project I entirely understand as I have some qualms about the traffic impact.  But I'm not gonna fret over a couple "dingy" buildings especially since the occupants of those building are still doing fine.

For Hideaway, I hope keeping the same crew, food, and hours will bring in the same crowd. Add some beergarden lights, a big Andrew Spear / Miami Dolphins mural, and some pool tables, and that new building isn't too bad. (Although I agree that the original building design that wrapped around the current Hideaway was better.) 

That said, I defended the Wally's reno for a while. But while I love the updated look, I went recently and the staff there was rude, prices were high, and the music incredibly loud—all changes in the original building.

Does anyone know why The Venue didn't move into The Yard? I thought they built out a small theater space specifically for them and then The Venue decided not to take it? 

I think if I owned Hideaway I absolutely take this deal. I'm sure they got good money for the land and at least a large chunk of buildout of this new one paid. They can sell the business after it re-opens and make even more money.

Overall its a net win for the neighborhood, even if those renderings are horrid.

2 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

Does anyone know why The Venue didn't move into The Yard? I thought they built out a small theater space specifically for them and then The Venue decided not to take it? 

The owner, Blue Star, decided to take her gig elsewhere. She has since set up on Church St in Haus. I keep hearing rumors of creating a gay entertainment district on Church St.

When she announced the closing she said the developers offered, "a small extension of like four years," and discussed creating a new theater inside the development.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/01/21/the-venue-is-closing-on-sept-12-and-it-wont-be-moving-into-the-yard-at-ivanhoe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The owner, Blue Star, decided to take her gig elsewhere. She has since set up on Church St in Haus. I keep hearing rumors of creating a gay entertainment district on Church St.

When she announced the closing she said the developers offered, "a small extension of like four years," and discussed creating a new theater inside the development.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/01/21/the-venue-is-closing-on-sept-12-and-it-wont-be-moving-into-the-yard-at-ivanhoe

Got it, thanks! Sounds like the build-out and/or rent were just too expensive.

Went to Häos for the first time a few weeks ago and was impressed. Good food and show.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, AmIReal said:

This rendering induced depression. 
Not only is this not appropriate for the location — it’s just flat out ugly.

Am i the only one bothered by “The Yard at Brookhaven” moniker? I can buy into the Yard by an actual railroad — this just seems to be a cheaper substitute for the original concept.

If a penthouse apartment is rented for 12k a block away than a higher quality development can be materialized here.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1