The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

• 4 weeks later...

Demo is done on one stretch of warehouses, where the Thirsty Topher used to be.  I haven't heard anything about the famous bald eagle (famous mostly for getting it's picture taken on an osprey's nest).  There's still a lot more demo to be done before they can move forward and a lot of the existing structures  still don't seem to be vacant.  I assume they are letting everyone round out their existing leases. What's lost among some of the more vocal opposition to altering this area is that Virginia continues to become more vibrant - Nora's moved there when their original space was sold, Thirsty Topher is now on Virginia as well.  With ten ten brewery opening, you can take quite the pub crawl from the lake over to Mills/Nebraska.... 

The businesses that will have a harder time relocating in the adjacent area are the displaced design and furniture studios that really make up the heart of the Ivanhoe culture.

It is these businesses that I hope are retained within the neighborhood long-term.

I agree though, Virginia is transforming into a great little street.

Edited by prahaboheme
typo
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2016 at 9:37 AM, Universe_Explorer said:

Demo is done on one stretch of warehouses, where the Thirsty Topher used to be.  I haven't heard anything about the famous bald eagle (famous mostly for getting it's picture taken on an osprey's nest).  There's still a lot more demo to be done before they can move forward and a lot of the existing structures  still don't seem to be vacant.  I assume they are letting everyone round out their existing leases. What's lost among some of the more vocal opposition to altering this area is that Virginia continues to become more vibrant - Nora's moved there when their original space was sold, Thirsty Topher is now on Virginia as well.  With ten ten brewery opening, you can take quite the pub crawl from the lake over to Mills/Nebraska.... 

I drove by yesterday and noticed a few more tenants packing up what was left in their warehouses. 

• 7 months later...

I run past there several times a week.  Very little has been happening since the demo of the first set of buildings, but there still appear to be businesses working out of the warehouses across Alden.  I assumed they were still waiting out the leases on those before proceeding.  The city is also conducting a much needed study on Virginia Drive - when this project is done traffic will likely be a problem there, but also brings so much potential for a great walkable region.  Currently the side walks are tiny, non-existent, or a mess.  Just fixing that would be a boon for those businesses.

• Like 1

Traffic on Virginia has been a mess ever since Mills Park.  Most of the traffic is not generated by that development, but I think it made that street noticeable to people that otherwise found alternate routes.  Throw in another development on the other end of the street and it is going to be madness.  With more commercial businesses popping up along the drive that were previously offices or warehouses, there has been an uptick in vehicles that are turning.  I don't think there is enough space for another lane, but a turning lane might relieve some congestion.

6 minutes ago, bulldogger said:

Traffic on Virginia has been a mess ever since Mills Park.  Most of the traffic is not generated by that development, but I think it made that street noticeable to people that otherwise found alternate routes.  Throw in another development on the other end of the street and it is going to be madness.  With more commercial businesses popping up along the drive that were previously offices or warehouses, there has been an uptick in vehicles that are turning.  I don't think there is enough space for another lane, but a turning lane might relieve some congestion.

I drive it everyday and I don't think it's bad. 

I live in the neighborhood and drive it everyday too.  Monday through Friday during evening rush hour, the cars are backed up from Mills half way to Lake Ivanhoe.  I turn onto Virginia at Ferris and I am usually making a blind left turn and hope I don't get hit.

It's still a great neighborhood and getting better.  Speaking of which, there is a new drinking establishment opening or perhaps has opened now.  I can't make out the name.  It has a CB or CD and other writing.  Not the best graphics work since I clearly can't tell what it's saying.  Someone told me that it is a sister store of a brewery.

23 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

I drive it everyday and I don't think it's bad. 

I don't think it's terrible when it comes to traffic delays, but considering it's status as a destination (and the addition of two large apartment complexes on either end), it's inadequate for pedestrians.  I don't think there's a enough room for a turn lane, but I think they can improve sidewalks, crossings, and streetscape to make it work better for everyone. I do worry about traffic at the Ivanhoe and Mills intersections once The Yard is done - Virginia is already a heavily used cut through to link College Park/Mills 50/Audubon Park/ and Baldwin Park.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, castorvx said:

Excited for this project. Seems like it could end up being quite nice, and the location is GREAT.

Agreed!  This project will be a game changer for the neighborhood, but at the same time, the developers seem very sensitive to maintaining the fabric/feel of the neighborhood. 

• 2 months later...