The Yard at Ivanhoe | Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

orlandoguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over on Alden Rd, Bungalow reports a warehouse conversion to a microbrewery if LHPS doesn't complain about it being too close to the poor little rich jocks on their ball fields.

What I like especially is tying their signature brew and other items to the long-ago Joyland water and amusement park along Lake Ivanhoe.

Along with shows at Kemp's Coliseum (Orange and New Hampshire), swimming at the adjoining Aquaseum and bowling at the Bowliseum, that was the place to live the high life and stay cool back before air conditioning hereabouts.

http://bungalower.com/2017/07/25/new-brewery-looking-open-alden-road/

• Like 3

On 7/25/2017 at 4:19 PM, spenser1058 said:

Over on Alden Rd, Bungalow reports a warehouse conversion to a microbrewery if LHPS doesn't complain about it being too close to the poor little rich jocks on their ball fields.

What I like especially is tying their signature brew and other items to the long-ago Joyland water and amusement park along Lake Ivanhoe.

Along with shows at Kemp's Coliseum (Orange and New Hampshire), swimming at the adjoining Aquaseum and bowling at the Bowliseum, that was the place to live the high life and stay cool back before air conditioning hereabouts.

http://bungalower.com/2017/07/25/new-brewery-looking-open-alden-road/

Man.  Are you like not the encyclopedia of stuff or what?  How the...?

Edited by jrs2

It's mostly a matter of remembering things I did as a kid and my parents and relatives talking about things they did. The built environment was always important to me so I soaked that stuff up.

As a volunteer docent at the history center and doing tours with Orlando Remembered, I got to know what people thought of Orlando. No one on my tours ever said much about our buildings were too short but they frequently exclaimed when memorable older buildings were replaced by generic modern structures, "why in the world did anyone think that was an improvement?" Most of the time, they were right. 

Think about it - the old Ivey's downtown is a century old and still a great looking building even though it hasn't been maintained. Compare that with the Ivey's at Colonial Plaza that was torn down before it was even 15 years old. There's nothing memorable about today's disposable buildings.

There's also no sense of place. "Downtown Orange County" has lots of tall buildings and the latest, trendiest ideas. Who'd want to live there and build a community? There's a reason Winter Garden and DeLand are on everyone's list of great towns and Casselberry and Winter Springs are on no one's.

Until the last few years, downtown St. Pete had fewer tall buildings than almost any major city in Florida (the NCNB tower stuck out like a sore thumb.) Strange, then, that everyone is clamoring to move there and most folks have little interest in downtown Tampa.

Coincidentally (or not), the stretch of downtown St. Pete that first attracted attention was lined with old storefronts much like the Woolworth's and McCrory's on Orange Ave.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2017 at 2:01 PM, spenser1058 said:

Until the last few years, downtown St. Pete had fewer tall buildings than almost any major city in Florida (the NCNB tower stuck out like a sore thumb.) Strange, then, that everyone is clamoring to move there and most folks have little interest in downtown Tampa.

Coincidentally (or not), the stretch of downtown St. Pete that first attracted attention was lined with old storefronts much like the Woolworth's and McCrory's on Orange Ave.

Downtown Tampa really got dissected by highways. This is always going to be a negative until they find ways to either eliminate them or focus on major gateways that soften their impact on the streets around them. Tampa has more architectural merit than both St Pete and Orlando combined - Ybor alone is a huge gift to the city of Tampa and yet it's stagnated for decades. Plop that district down in Miami, St Pete, or Orlando and it could be one of the most thriving neighborhoods in the country. Orlando has worked with far less and has succeeded in building a downtown where people want to live  (not just work or party).

But I digress...

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Downtown Tampa really got dissected by highways. This is always going to be a negative until they find ways to either eliminate them or focus on major gateways that soften their impact on the streets around them. Tampa has more architectural merit than both St Pete and Orlando combined - Ybor alone is a huge gift to the city of Tampa and yet it's stagnated for decades. Plop that district down in Miami, St Pete, or Orlando and it could be one of the most thriving neighborhoods in the country. Orlando has worked with far less and has succeeded in building a downtown where people want to live  (not just work or party).

But I digress...

IMO The Hyde Park historic residential neighborhood is Tampa's saving grace... it's like a mashup of Winter Park and Thornton Park with it's old estates, bungalows and nearby shops - not to mention the bonus of Bayshore Blvd. Miami Beach & Hyde Park were my top FL choices, but I decided to stay in Orlando.

• Like 2

I lived in Hyde Park while I was working in Tampa. I really enjoyed it, especially since I was in my high-prep phase and Brooks Brothers was right there in the middle of the block. There was also an AMC theater in walking distance. I ran on Bayshore everyday and worked out at the Y at Fort Brooke. Sadly, reaching downtown was a bit of a bear but UT was close by to party with the college kids.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 7:52 PM, prahaboheme said:

But I digress...

Downtown Tampa is a strange bird.  They got a river, a port, a convention center, lots of hotels, Harbor Island, a hospital on Davis Island, UT across the river with it's Putin-esque architecture, tall buildings, some new low rise housing, the NHL arena, etc., etc., and a streetcar to Ibor.  So, it's got a lot of interesting dynamics at play.

Our Orange Avenue & Church Street & Central Ave & Wall Street & Summerlin/Washington Street scenes are for the most part, good and very good.  Those are streets in the heart of downtown too.  Choc full of bars, restaurants, clubs, small stores, galleries, Walgreens, Publix, Ace Cafe, Lake Eola, etc.  We've got a good thing going on that's only getting better.  It's a great asset. 

Once UCF's campus gets going, that will feed the downtown "scene" and help to support more development.

The Yard, I'm hoping, really adds good density on the back side of Antique Row to help solidify that neighborhood even more and being more than just a strip north of downtown.  That's a great asset too for the City. 

You know, with the Lucerne Promenade u/c, that project is creating a bridge to SoDo which is fantastic.  Earthfare.  Wow.  Is there going to be any kind of anchor stores in The Yard?

• Like 3