Brightline Trains

FLheat

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, shardoon said:

I am writing this from a hotel in Clearwater beach. Let me tell you all something, I have never had a good experience taking I4 to Tampa. I live in the DP area, so already in SW Orange. It has been years since I was able to make it to Tampa without traffic. Takes me on average 1.5 hours just to get to Ybor. Yesterday was a doozy with traffic. Took me 3.5 hours just to get to clearwater. If this train could get us to Tampa in under an hour and Tampa got off its rear end for connecting service to St Pete and CV Clearwater, I would totally use it. I4 is hell going to tampa.

I've done I-4 to I-75 plenty of times fairly quickly; but beyond I-75, it's moidah...

On 7/22/2018 at 8:05 AM, shardoon said:

I am writing this from a hotel in Clearwater beach. Let me tell you all something, I have never had a good experience taking I4 to Tampa. I live in the DP area, so already in SW Orange. It has been years since I was able to make it to Tampa without traffic. Takes me on average 1.5 hours just to get to Ybor. Yesterday was a doozy with traffic. Took me 3.5 hours just to get to clearwater. If this train could get us to Tampa in under an hour and Tampa got off its rear end for connecting service to St Pete and CV Clearwater, I would totally use it. I4 is hell going to tampa.

I drove to Clearwater Sunday and it was pretty clear.  Just got back now and it wasn't too terrible.  That said I have Busch Gardens passes and go regularly and we seldom get scott free in both directions.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dale said:

I have gotten the feeling that the Tampa line is pretty far along.

So, where would the Tampa line go to?  I.e., to north downtown Tampa, as with the prior HSR proposal?  To TPA, like it is here at OIA?  Do we know?

9 hours ago, Dale said:

I don't know, but I'm guessing OIA to downtown Tampa's Union Station.

My understanding is they don't know yet either, but it most likely won't be an existing station.  If I had to speculate, I'd bet they'll do what they did in Miami and find a piece of land that's mostly vacant and buy as much as they can around it to make money off of the development.

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

My understanding is they don't know yet either, but it most likely won't be an existing station.  If I had to speculate, I'd bet they'll do what they did in Miami and find a piece of land that's mostly vacant and buy as much as they can around it to make money off of the development.

Oh, I fully expect them to build their own station, as well as spin-off development, just going by what Tampans I know have surmised about the location.

I wonder if they'll go to Tampa airport as well.

Edited by Dale

FDOT already bought a few blocks of land, including the old jail site, near Marion and 275.  I assume that they will want to put it there like the old HSR proposal.  It would be directly adjacent to 275 so they could continue on toward the airport if necessary.  I still prefer the Union Station location though.  Having it use the existing tracks to Tampa with maybe a 90 MPH max would be fine with me.

Article in today's NY Times re: CA Bullet Train 

The prospects do not look good.  Only $30 billion of the estimated $100 billion has been found.  The federal government and private business had walked away.

The state is building the Central portion first.  It hopes that voters will support the project more once they see tangible evidence of progress.  It's a gamble that a future governor will not pull the plug.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/us/california-high-speed-rail.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I am Reality said:

The prospects do not look good.  Only $30 billion of the estimated $100 billion has been found.  The federal government and private business had walked away.

The state is building the Central portion first.  It hopes that voters will support the project more once they see tangible evidence of progress.  It's a gamble that a future governor will not pull the plug.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/us/california-high-speed-rail.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

In other words, Florida dodged a bullet  a decade ago?

5 hours ago, I am Reality said:

It's sad, really.  Not happy about it.  It's a nightmare scenario that someone might pull the plug on a project like this.  How could they screw it up so much?  It sends a bad message to other states, you know, trying to design projects of their own.  

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, gibby said:

FDOT already bought a few blocks of land, including the old jail site, near Marion and 275.  I assume that they will want to put it there like the old HSR proposal.  It would be directly adjacent to 275 so they could continue on toward the airport if necessary.  I still prefer the Union Station location though.  Having it use the existing tracks to Tampa with maybe a 90 MPH max would be fine with me.

just had a numbing thought...how bad would it suck that Tampa gets an HSR station downtown and Orlando, which already has Sunrail, can't even build a 3-4 mile link to the Brightline station at MCO.

"I asked you to do one simple thing...kill Superman...and you couldn't even do that."

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

just had a numbing thought...how bad would it suck that Tampa gets an HSR station downtown and Orlando, which already has Sunrail, can't even build a 3-4 mile link to the Brightline station at MCO.

Yes, and someone living in downtown Tampa will have a one-seat ride all the way to Miami and their trip to MCO will be more convenient than someone living in downtown Orlando.

• Like 1