Brightline Trains

FLheat

1 hour ago, shardoon said:

So interesting. I have to read up on box jacking. I always wondered about what will go down at 417. Also, mentioned crossing 528 twice. Where? Maybe this is why all the land clearing on the north side?

saw that.  maybe the EB and WB rail lines split as they approach MCO?

6 hours ago, shardoon said:

So interesting. I have to read up on box jacking. I always wondered about what will go down at 417. Also, mentioned crossing 528 twice. Where? Maybe this is why all the land clearing on the north side?

They are building a bridge over Industry Rd in Cocoa and there are going to be two tunnels built for the train to go underneath 528. The article I read wasn't horribly specific, but that's what I garnered. 

On 10/11/2019 at 4:05 PM, shardoon said:

23 hours ago, mraurora said:

They are building a bridge over Industry Rd in Cocoa and there are going to be two tunnels built for the train to go underneath 528. The article I read wasn't horribly specific, but that's what I garnered. 

Crosses 528 at US 1 and east of 95. Over Dallas,  417, and Narcoossee under Goldenrod and Innovation Way per the plans they have public. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The bill which attempts to provide state regulation of Brightline has once again been refilled.

While it has gone nowhere in previous sessions, the fact that it has a companion House bill this time gives it a better shot.

Interestingly, both sponsors (one opposes and one supports the train’s existence) are from Brevard.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/309724-tyler-sirois-joins-debbie-mayfield-in-seeking-more-state-oversight-of-virgin-trains

From Florida Politics 

Edited by spenser1058

Article today said Virgin Trains got the go-ahead to build a station at Port of Miami. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-tr-cru-brightline-virgin-trains-portmiami-20191029-4cgnoswczvhanln4536p7ctw2e-story.html

This would connect OIA to major cruise port and perhaps future connection to the theme parks.   Interesting for the folks pushing for a Port Canaveral connection. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Article today said Virgin Trains got the go-ahead to build a station at Port of Miami. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-tr-cru-brightline-virgin-trains-portmiami-20191029-4cgnoswczvhanln4536p7ctw2e-story.html

This would connect OIA to major cruise port and perhaps future connection to the theme parks.   Interesting for the folks pushing for a Port Canaveral connection. 

If this train connects to the Port of Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, eventually (via expansion) Port Tampa Bay, and JaxPort from the sea and connects MIA, FLL, MCO, eventually TPA, and JAX from the air this becomes a complete game changer.  Absolutely would change travel as we know it in Florida.  Those are a hundred million+ potential riders from the sky and roughly 15 million sea passengers that could potentially use the system.  Even a very small percentage of those would be huge numbers for the train.

If you throw in the various theme parks (although Busch Gardens & LEGOLAND seem too far off the path) then it moves into full throttle territory.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Congratulations! The nation’s deadliest train line is coming to Orlando!

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/12/02/mile-for-mile-floridas-brightline-is-the-nations-deadliest-train-line

From the Orlando Weekly 

In that time span approximately 8,000 people have died from cars in Florida. Also most of the deaths were ruled suicides which are still tragic, but most deaths involving automobiles are definitely not suicides. The new story states," 

"Psychologist Lanny Berman, who studies train suicides, said it’s likely the velocity of Brightline’s trains, their bright color and newness that attracts the suicidal. “It would be noticed that it has faster speeds and that it is more lethal,” said Berman, a former executive director of the American Association of Suicidology."

So hopefully the amount of suicides decreases once the novelty of the train wears off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/12/02/mile-for-mile-floridas-brightline-is-the-nations-deadliest-train-line

From the Orlando Weekly 

You seem to be on a weird sensationalist kick lately.  You OK buddy?

2 hours ago, codypet said:

I doubt that's likely.  There will always be suicides.  I don't know if its the bright color as much as its just.....easy?  

Like Sunrail, it has very few grade separated crossings, which makes it easier, but also increases the possibility for accidents across the board. I know it's expensive to rebuild the entire corridor to reduce these kinds of crossings, but if we want transit that runs at headways that produce dependability and ridership, they can't close down the street every time a train crosses. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 6:43 PM, spenser1058 said:

From the Orlando Weekly 

OMG.  I am going to bite my lip before I piss everyone off on this subject.

From the Orlando Weekly 

To be fair, it won’t be so deadly in Central Florida since there won’t be any at-grade crossings heading into Orlando.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk