Brightline Trains

FLheat

• Neo changed the title to Brightline Trains

Word is the stop in Tampa is going to be in Ybor city. 
Supposedly it will be at the junction of Adamo and Channelside Drive. 
It will be a short walk from Amtrak and the street car, there's also potential for a connection to the water taxi but I would be getting ahead of myself.

There's not much in this area now as it is on the southern end of Ybor where it is mostly industrial but it is right across the street from where the latest Rays stadium proposal was and is well connected via dedicated urban trails. What I'm trying to say is that there is a ton of potential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

That would certainly be a catalyst for growth in Ybor and those direct transit connections will be key.

Meanwhile, Orlando’s proposed stops at OIA and Disney will have no impact on urban growth.

The Tampa stop, much less potential development, is a LONG ways away and has a pretty strong possibility of being scrapped entirely, never mind urban development. Also, let’s see what happens with Sunrail and its urban growth.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

The point still stands - does it not? 

No I totally get your point. I just mean, before we start lambasting Orlando’s urbanity due to the Brightline stops — because that’s where this certainly is leading — perhaps we should give both Sunrail the opportunity to have an impact on urban growth and wait and see if Tampa’s station is even built.

8 hours ago, Uncommon said:

No I totally get your point. I just mean, before we start lambasting Orlando’s urbanity due to the Brightline stops — because that’s where this certainly is leading — perhaps we should give both Sunrail the opportunity to have an impact on urban growth and wait and see if Tampa’s station is even built.

I'm pretty sure Sunrail is already contributing to urban growth. Most stations have had some sort of TOD since Sunrail.

2 hours ago, WAJAS said:

I'm pretty sure Sunrail is already contributing to urban growth. Most stations have had some sort of TOD since Sunrail.

What we’ve seen so far is a decent start. Imagine how much more walkable, transit oriented development we’ll see when SunRail shifts to daily operations with an airport connection.

• Like 3

We may not get the sexy urban station, but we'll end up with multiple transit hubs, a maintenance hub, and an additional transit line adding to better regional connectivity. Not going to lie, I'm bummed about not getting an HSR urban downtown station, but I think we may get a pretty nice  deal out of all of this in the long run. 

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, Uncommon said:

The Tampa stop, much less potential development.

Not true. 
Brightline is working with a developer named Darryl Shaw. Shaw owns the land that Brightline wants to build the station on he also is the owner of the Tampa Park land and several of the industrial lots around the potential station. 
Whether or not it happens is besides the point the potential for development is not only there it may be one of the most coveted sections of Tampa's urban core. 
It will most likely be to Tampa in the 2020's what Tampa Heights was in the 2010's and Channelside was in the 2000's.

Anyway, sorry to "derail" the convo. I know this is an Orlando thread I'm just excited about the potential of better service from Tampa to Orlando as I used to take amtrak back and fourth all the time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WAJAS said:

I'd appreciate it going up to Jacksonville, but that won't happen till 2030 at the earliest.

And if it does - perhaps that downtown Orlando stop would be a reality after all. Although, I’d imagine that a potential route would circumvent the Orlando core altogether and head northeast out of OIA.

Edited by prahaboheme

18 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

And if it does - perhaps that downtown Orlando stop would be a reality after all. Although, I’d imagine that a potential route would circumvent the Orlando core altogether and head northeast out of OIA.

It would definitely follow the tracks currently being built to the coast, then use the FEC tracks to Downtown Jacksonville near the convention center and transit center. I don't see a Downtown Orlando station in the future to be honest.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Most likely, it would head east from OIA so as to take advantage of the FECRR tracks to Jax. The reason there is no coastal route is because, until Brightline, FEC refused to let Amtrak use their tracks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cubanbread said:

Not true. 
Brightline is working with a developer named Darryl Shaw. Shaw owns the land that Brightline wants to build the station on he also is the owner of the Tampa Park land and several of the industrial lots around the potential station. 
Whether or not it happens is besides the point the potential for development is not only there it may be one of the most coveted sections of Tampa's urban core. 
It will most likely be to Tampa in the 2020's what Tampa Heights was in the 2010's and Channelside was in the 2000's.

Anyway, sorry to "derail" the convo. I know this is an Orlando thread I'm just excited about the potential of better service from Tampa to Orlando as I used to take amtrak back and fourth all the time. 

I think you misunderstood. I didn’t say the Tampa stop would have much less potential development. What I said was that the Tampa stop itself is still a long way from happening, and potential development is even more of a long way from happening. The use of “much less” is an expression.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I think you misunderstood. I didn’t say the Tampa stop would have much less potential development. What I said was that the Tampa stop itself is still a long way from happening, and potential development is even more of a long way from happening. The use of “much less” is an expression.

Gotcha.
Though I would still disagree that "potential development" is still a long way away (depending on your definition of "long way")
I think it's more likely than not that this area gets development before the train station.
It's simply too big of a connecting point between Ybor, Channelside, and Water Street to go undeveloped for much longer especially since it's all connected via the street car which has been a major reason why the south east end of Tampa has exploded in the last 20 years. 
I'm thinking in terms of the next decade not the next 5 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cubanbread said:

Gotcha.
Though I would still disagree that "potential development" is still a long way away (depending on your definition of "long way")
I think it's more likely than not that this area gets development before the train station.
It's simply too big of a connecting point between Ybor, Channelside, and Water Street to go undeveloped for much longer especially since it's all connected via the street car which has been a major reason why the south east end of Tampa has exploded in the last 20 years. 
I'm thinking in terms of the next decade not the next 5 years. 

I understand what you’re saying. Basically, I’m just saying is potential development from Brightline is a long away from happening. This isn’t to say that another project won’t develop that area. But another poster was lamenting that our Brightline location won’t spur urban growth, and I just meant to say it’s going to be awhile before we have any idea that Tampa’s Brightline location will spur any development at all, so let’s see what happens first before we start comparing. That’s all.

But I agree to an extent. Tampa is undergoing an urban renaissance. It wouldn’t surprise me if urban renewal occurred in places not currently experiencing growth due to Water Street and the other plans under construction. In 2030, Tampa is going to be an absolute force and I can’t wait to see it.

• Like 2

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/12/02/brightline-trains-president-provides-update-on-central-florida-expansion/

According to this, a potential Brightline stop in Cocoa has been discussed. Not sure if this has any legs or if it’s just speculation, but I remember a KSC stop was talked about a couple of years ago, though the stop would’ve been 8 or 9 away and therefore would necessitate a shuttle or something to the Space Center. 

It would be great to be able to get to the beach and without driving. Take the Sunrail to the airport and then switch to Brightline and take that to Cocoa.

• Like 2

A Cocoa beach stop makes sense, in part because of KSC but more then anything for Port Canaveral. The potential tourists from the cruise  ships can now make day trips  to Disney, Universal studios, the attractions on international drive, etc... Brightline would provide the transportation in a seamless way. Brightline can potentially make many more deals with other players.