Brightline Trains

FLheat

1 minute ago, ChiDev said:

Since when are leftists against public transport?  

One day, he’ll read the party platforms and know who’s who.

We’ll not mention btw that Amtrak, SunRail and TriRail have been up and running for months unlike Brightline. May God help you if you had to actually, you know, depend on Brightline to go somewhere.

Edited by spenser1058

Unfortunately I’m working and I don’t have the time to document in length for you the sources. But since u do have the time I’ll just make the suggestion. I’ve been following Sunrail since it’s birth and believe it hasn’t been Leftists that have tried to kill it. Paula Dockery, and  Rick Scott are names that come to mind. Ok lunch is over back to work!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aent said:

Unfortunately I think thats no longer even in the realm of a possibility as a leftist replaced John Mica. Elections matter.

True. In the current obstructionistic climate, it does seem  that the only way to enact policies that benefit the public-at-large is to hold out for the rare occasion where a conservative is willing to go against general party policy for the sake of directing federal money to their district, as Mica was when it came to SunRail funding.

Although I don't think that's what you meant...

Edited by uncreativeusername

2 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Since when are leftists against public transport?  

I think you might might be misunderstanding a poorly worded statement (or maybe the poster is just plain nuts).  To John Mica's credit, he was a big supporter of mass transit to the point of being one of the most passionate members in the House, and a bit of an outlier from the typical conservative positions.  I remember watching the stimulus vote from the gallery back in 2009 (I got my visitor's pass from Nancy Pelosi's office!) and noticed how he was one of the guys all over the floor on both sides of the aisle, negotiating for increased spending on transit.  He managed to bring home a lot of bacon to Central Florida (SunRail was his baby), even though the folks back home in his district weren't willing to accept it and provide the matching funds under the woeful Reagan-era formulas (Charlotte/Mecklenburg County thanks you, Clarence Hoenstine!).  Sunrail was the consolation prize for Orange County, which still doesn't have its act together in regards to transportation funding.

Edited by jliv

Even at the local level, the Orlando Maglev train from the airport to the convention center I Drive was literally rejected by those on the left, because of fears that it would make it look like privately owned mass transit could take care of our transportation issues. I know, I know, they screamed "maybe Orlando Maglev technologically wouldn't work" but they were literally willing to post a bond to cover the cost of removal if they failed to keep the system functioning for a set amount of time, and they STILL rejected it.

Ya'll are just ignoring the facts... Brightline, Orlando Maglev, OBX, Sunrail all were opposed by prominent democrats and pushed heavily by prominent republicans. Mica was pushing to get all of them done, and he loses the election, and barely a beep about the unbuilt ones. I'll admit part of my comment was in jest because of how anti public transit spenser is if it gets supported by a Republican or gets some private funding.

• Confused 1

On 3/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, codypet said:

@aent There was more going on with Maglev at the time of proposal that made it clear that that dude was playing a game.  Anyone who was coordinating adjacent construction projects were well aware Maglev didn't have basic important details thought through.

I've also been told that brightline was playing  game too, this thing had no chance of doing anything. Private rail doesn't work. And here we are.

I understood the concern they didn't know how to operate a rail due to past failures. I thought bringing this concern to them and demanding something to make sure we don't end up with a non-functional half built system seemed super reasonable. He then offered to put up a bond to guarantee its either operating or taken down after a set amount of time, and for some reason that blows my mind, that offer was rejected?!? WTF? Why not give him a chance? The financial backer of that project, Globalvia, has built other transit systems successfully. They even said if he fails, they'd still do it without him using more traditional tech. Literally the only explanation I've heard that makes any sense is if he builds a successful system, then the public will probably want other routes privately operated so they'll get cancelled. If he fails, he'll set other projects back many, many years. Seems pretty dumb to me.

1 hour ago, aent said:

I've also been told that brightline was playing  game too, this thing had no chance of doing anything. Private rail doesn't work. And here we are.

I understood the concern they didn't know how to operate a rail due to past failures. I thought bringing this concern to them and demanding something to make sure we don't end up with a non-functional half built system seemed super reasonable. He then offered to put up a bond to guarantee its either operating or taken down after a set amount of time, and for some reason that blows my mind, that offer was rejected?!? WTF? Why not give him a chance? The financial backer of that project, Globalvia, has built other transit systems successfully. They even said if he fails, they'd still do it without him using more traditional tech. Literally the only explanation I've heard that makes any sense is if he builds a successful system, then the public will probably want other routes privately operated so they'll get cancelled. If he fails, he'll set other projects back many, many years. Seems pretty dumb to me.

They were so different that I cannot even describe. FEC has the wherewithal financial to pull this off. The maglev dude seemed like he had dream and that was all. 

As soon as FEC announced they were doing Brighline, it felt real. Maglev never felt like it had shot. 

Just now, jack said:

They were so different that I cannot even describe. FEC has the wherewithal financial to pull this off. The maglev dude seemed like he had dream and that was all. 

As soon as FEC announced they were doing Brighline, it felt real. Maglev never felt like it had shot. 

Globalvia, which was the financial partner of AMT, has a better record on passenger rail then FEC. Maglev never had a shot because unfortunately those in charge were anti-maglev.

Brightline provided details on their preferred "$1 billion route piggybacking on Road 417 through Hunters Creek over a more than $2 billion route along State Road 528 to International Drive."

Re: I Drive, Brightline said, "“We think there are better, other ways to connect the important convention center area and I-Drive to the airport. That needs to happen. It’s imperative,” Cegelis said. “We think there are other, more efficient ways to do it than an hourly, intercity train.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-prem-ne-brightline-disney-tampa-route-20210311-ehaxz2gcjjfgtl6mbx2r2be5ye-story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Brightline provided details on their preferred "$1 billion route piggybacking on Road 417 through Hunters Creek over a more than $2 billion route along State Road 528 to International Drive."

Re: I Drive, Brightline said, "“We think there are better, other ways to connect the important convention center area and I-Drive to the airport. That needs to happen. It’s imperative,” Cegelis said. “We think there are other, more efficient ways to do it than an hourly, intercity train.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-prem-ne-brightline-disney-tampa-route-20210311-ehaxz2gcjjfgtl6mbx2r2be5ye-story.html

And they are 100% right.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting article. So basically, it comes down to Brightline linking with Sunrail at Meadow Woods (417 plan) or Brightline serving the I-Drive area but possibly no direct link to Sunrail (528 plan).

Both options are less-than-great, but forced to choose, I’d go with the 417 plan. Then at least Orlando residents using Sunrail wouldn’t get passed over in favor of tourists on I-Drive in the quest to get to the airport.

16 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Interesting article. So basically, it comes down to Brightline linking with Sunrail at Meadow Woods (417 plan) or Brightline serving the I-Drive area but possibly no direct link to Sunrail (528 plan).

Both options are less-than-great, but forced to choose, I’d go with the 417 plan. Then at least Orlando residents using Sunrail wouldn’t get passed over in favor of tourists on I-Drive in the quest to get to the airport.

Brightline shouldn't stop at either Meadow Woods or I-Drive. It's intercity rail. Sunrail will interface with Brightline at OIA.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

OBJ has a Transportation spotlight this week and one focus section is Brightline. There is not a lot of new info there, but re: Jacksonville Brightline bought "the passenger rail easement rights on the Florida East Coast Railway corridor from Cocoa north to Jacksonville, which it eventually may use in a future expansion", was new info to me. I'm sure the train people on here were already aware of it, but news to me.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/26/intercity-rail-helping-to-shape-floridas-future-t.html

17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

OBJ has a Transportation spotlight this week and one focus section is Brightline. There is not a lot of new info there, but re: Jacksonville Brightline bought "the passenger rail easement rights on the Florida East Coast Railway corridor from Cocoa north to Jacksonville, which it eventually may use in a future expansion", was new info to me. I'm sure the train people on here were already aware of it, but news to me.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/26/intercity-rail-helping-to-shape-floridas-future-t.html

That was always part of the plan.   Unsure the timeline though. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/04/05/what-s-being-done-to-bring-brightline-to-i-drive.html

Biggest takeaways:

1. ”In addition, officials with Orange County have confirmed to OBJ that future discussions are expected to occur on some kind of transportation option connecting I-Drive and Brightline.”

2. “Meanwhile, Universal Orlando Resort will make its own push in a future meeting for I-Drive to have a Brightline connection, said sources with close knowledge of the ongoing activity. A rail system connecting to I-Drive would benefit Universal's future Epic Universe theme park that's now under construction. 

Executives with Universal were not available for comment. However, during the 2019 unveiling of Epic Universe, Tom Williams, Universal Parks & Resorts chairman/CEO previously said the theme park would push "with every bit of strength that we've got" to get a Brightline connection to the I-Drive corridor.”

3. “A lingering issue will be how the bridge the nearly $1 billion gap in the cost to build each of the two proposed routes. At the moment, the State Road 417 route which wouldn't connect to I-Drive is the cheaper pathway for the rail system.

A potential solution may be a potential future transportation tax proposed by Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings. Last April, efforts for the proposed penny sales tax hike, which would generate about $300 million annually for a dedicated transportation fund, were tabled due to the pandemic before it could go on the 2020 ballot for voters to approve. The soonest that vote for the tax could happen is 2022.”

It's unknown if the ongoing discussions may affect the future plans of the rail system. However, Brightline does recognize the need for a solution for the I-Drive corridor.

4. "With a sharp focus on building transportation networks in Florida and with billions invested in connecting the state, we recognize the opportunity to solve a long-standing issue in Central Florida," Ben Porritt, senior vice president of corporate affairs for Brightline, told OBJ. "We’re actively working with all key stakeholders in the region on a solution that will establish connectivity between the convention center and the Orlando International Airport."

5 hours ago, Uncommon said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/04/05/what-s-being-done-to-bring-brightline-to-i-drive.html

Biggest takeaways:

1. ”In addition, officials with Orange County have confirmed to OBJ that future discussions are expected to occur on some kind of transportation option connecting I-Drive and Brightline.”

2. “Meanwhile, Universal Orlando Resort will make its own push in a future meeting for I-Drive to have a Brightline connection, said sources with close knowledge of the ongoing activity. A rail system connecting to I-Drive would benefit Universal's future Epic Universe theme park that's now under construction. 

Executives with Universal were not available for comment. However, during the 2019 unveiling of Epic Universe, Tom Williams, Universal Parks & Resorts chairman/CEO previously said the theme park would push "with every bit of strength that we've got" to get a Brightline connection to the I-Drive corridor.”

3. “A lingering issue will be how the bridge the nearly $1 billion gap in the cost to build each of the two proposed routes. At the moment, the State Road 417 route which wouldn't connect to I-Drive is the cheaper pathway for the rail system.

A potential solution may be a potential future transportation tax proposed by Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings. Last April, efforts for the proposed penny sales tax hike, which would generate about $300 million annually for a dedicated transportation fund, were tabled due to the pandemic before it could go on the 2020 ballot for voters to approve. The soonest that vote for the tax could happen is 2022.”

It's unknown if the ongoing discussions may affect the future plans of the rail system. However, Brightline does recognize the need for a solution for the I-Drive corridor.

4. "With a sharp focus on building transportation networks in Florida and with billions invested in connecting the state, we recognize the opportunity to solve a long-standing issue in Central Florida," Ben Porritt, senior vice president of corporate affairs for Brightline, told OBJ. "We’re actively working with all key stakeholders in the region on a solution that will establish connectivity between the convention center and the Orlando International Airport."

I hope they don't kill this extension by forcing a super expensive route. Disney also likely isn't going to be happy to have the station on their property if it allows a direct Universal to Disney connection, likely to the point where they say "its us or them"

• Like 1

Universal says, "We have talked with Brightline and do not feel they have done the due diligence required for a project of this magnitude," "At the moment, there is significant disagreement about what is right for our community — with us and many others believing the International Drive corridor needs to be part of the plan."

Brightline says, "There’s a recognition of that. The quantum of it is still being reconciled. We did have a reconciliation meeting yesterday, a lot got accomplished. We owe Universal Studios and their consultant some additional cost information, so we are providing it or may have provided it already."

Whatever the hell that means. https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/04/09/universal-orlando-brightline-i-drive-route.html

Has someone already posted this drone footage?

https://www.floridatoday.com/videos/news/2021/03/16/drone-video-brightline-rail-expansion-south-florida-orlando/4710938001/

• Thanks 1