Brightline Trains

FLheat

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

5 more days left to solidify plans.

FDOT said that the deadline is more soft now b/c of Sunrail's inclusion in ROW planning, which has complicated the lease agreements with CFXA and IOA. I wouldn't expect an update by the end of the month at this point.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, WAJAS said:

FDOT said that the deadline is more soft now b/c of Sunrail's inclusion in ROW planning, which has complicated the lease agreements with CFXA and IOA. I wouldn't expect an update by the end of the month at this point.

Yeah, its now formally extended.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 12:56 PM, DowntownMike said:

That’s why it’s really important that the path used can service both SunRail and Brightline, with a dual use agreement.  I’d also argue that the I-Drive line would be smarter for that reason, with SunRail/Gvt paying the delta. We should also be exploring a spur to Lake Nona.

welcome!

can you give more insight on your observations about route placement, etc?  Thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting...

Brightline says when the Miami to Orlando route is done they will include a “mobility offering” so “You will be able to get from your front door to your office, or from your couch to the ballgame in one transaction,” Goddard said. “Enabled by our new, state-of-the art app, we will offer shared and private rides with our own branded fleet of vehicles.”

I didn't see that coming.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-brightline-service-restart-20210810-4c6l6yngynbzhesktunfgl3sia-story.html

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Very interesting...

Brightline says when the Miami to Orlando route is done they will include a “mobility offering” so “You will be able to get from your front door to your office, or from your couch to the ballgame in one transaction,” Goddard said. “Enabled by our new, state-of-the art app, we will offer shared and private rides with our own branded fleet of vehicles.”

I didn't see that coming.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-brightline-service-restart-20210810-4c6l6yngynbzhesktunfgl3sia-story.html

wow. I wonder if they will outsource the work to companies like Mears

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

wow. I wonder if they will outsource the work to companies like Mears

Goddard said the fleet with hired drivers will consist of “a selection of private cars, shuttles and, for small, local, short trips, we are looking at electric golf carts.”

Re: the I-drive route, Goddard said it will cost an added $1B and so far no one wants to cough up the dough. “We have left the door open and discussions open,” Goddard said.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Goddard said the fleet with hired drivers will consist of “a selection of private cars, shuttles and, for small, local, short trips, we are looking at electric golf carts.”

Re: the I-drive route, Goddard said it will cost an added $1B and so far no one wants to cough up the dough. “We have left the door open and discussions open,” Goddard said.

can you imagine taking an electric golf cart to the intermodal station in the center of MCO and battling speeding cars?  Charles Bronson had that movie series called Deathwish...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

Funny the last time I flew which by now is a few year ago there was a cyclist riding south on JFB from 436 toward the main terminal and my Fast Park and Relax Driver was laying on the horn trying to force him to move.

I had an F-150 driver doing that to me on OWG Road one morning. Four lanes, hardly any traffic and I was riding toward the edge of the right lane.

He didn’t just honk, though. He followed beside and behind me insisting I needed to be on the sidewalk even though he could have easily gone around me.

I tried to explain sidewalks don’t work well for road bikes due to the uneven pavement. He insisted it’s Florida law (it isn’t).

I was worried about things escalating but thankfully an OC deputy came by and apparently understood my dilemma. He followed in front of us for a couple of miles until the F-150 turned right on Pine Hills Rd.

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I had an F-150 driver doing that to me on OWG Road one morning. Four lanes, hardly any traffic and I was riding toward the edge of the right lane.

He didn’t just honk, though. He followed beside and behind me insisting I needed to be on the sidewalk even though he could have easily gone around me.

I tried to explain sidewalks don’t work well for road bikes due to the uneven pavement. He insisted it’s Florida law (it isn’t).

I was worried about things escalating but thankfully an OC deputy came by and apparently understood my dilemma. He followed in front of us for a couple of miles until the F-150 turned right on Pine Hills Rd.

you're right.  sidewalk or street, but if in the street, follow traffic laws.

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Oh getting out of the airport on that thing would also be a death wish.  Especially right now, the construction there has  made pick ups and drop offs a total nightmare. Can't wait to fly next Thurs!

when doing pickups/ arrivals, be creative as to where you're or they're waiting...not gonna publish it here, but think outside the box next time ala OIA...and life will be so much easier and better...

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie here, but very excited to read about Brightline and other area developments.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:56 AM, DowntownMike said:

That’s why it’s really important that the path used can service both SunRail and Brightline, with a dual use agreement.  I’d also argue that the I-Drive line would be smarter for that reason, with SunRail/Gvt paying the delta. We should also be exploring a spur to Lake Nona.

I believe the opposite – that Brightline’s route wouldn’t be a very good SunRail option because it serves very few origin-destination pairs.

A big problem with it is that nobody flying into the airport has Disney Springs as their destination, so any visitors going to Disney hotels would need to transfer to a bus at Disney Springs, adding time and hassle to the trip. Disney has already cancelled their magical express service because it was losing ridership to Uber and Lyft based on being too slow and inconvenient, and it’s hard to believe that a two-seat ride that’s not free would do any better.

Attracting local ridership is going to be a challenge too, because the only residential communities the proposed route passes through are Meadow Woods and Hunter’s Creek, neither of which have anything resembling TOD and would provide only a few hundred daily riders at best. Even worse, the route wouldn’t open much new area for TOD, because those areas are already developed with single family housing. Connecting the current SunRail line to the airport would provide some riders, but for that to really be a useful connection SunRail would need to start operating evenings and weekends and at higher frequencies during the day. Even then, the connection would only be projected for a couple thousand daily riders, which can be accommodated easily and at higher frequency on buses, given that a transfer will be required in either case. We could get a dedicated fleet of nice buses to run between MCO and Sand Lake Road SunRail with fancy stations and 15-minute frequency all day for like 1/10 of the capital and operating costs of providing the same connection using SunRail.

Operating SunRail over Brightline’s tracks would also face worse financial prospects than the existing line, because instead of being the track owner and collecting rent from other users (CSX and Amtrak) SunRail would be paying to buy trackage rights from Brightline. There would also be the problem of CFX wanting to get reimbursed for reduced toll collections, which could eat into any fare revenue collected. Given that what ridership could be attracted to this line would be dependent on higher frequencies and long operating hours, it’s easy to see it turning into a low-ridership money pit for taxpayers.

In my opinion, any funds available for transit would be better spent on getting the existing SunRail line to run every 30 minutes all day long, 7 days a week, and establishing a new high-frequency (BRT-lite?) bus network.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gtothree2748 said:

the campaign against the 417 brightline route 

I had to chuckle at the lady from the I-Drive Chamber that said “we’ve been working on this for over 30 years.” They, along with Harris Rosen, his consigliere Ted Edwards and the GOP, were the ones who worked hardest to shoot down light rail that was paid for by the feds.

I believe George Orwell referred to this as “repainting the barn”.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:40 AM, spenser1058 said:

I had to chuckle at the lady from the I-Drive Chamber that said “we’ve been working on this for over 30 years.” They, along with Harris Rosen, his consigliere Ted Edwards and the GOP, were the ones who worked hardest to shoot down light rail that was paid for by the feds.

I believe George Orwell referred to this as “repainting the barn”.

Spenser, respectfully, we just had this discussion  a few days ago. 

Why don't you move your post into the politics thread instead, where you can debate party politics 'till you're blue in the face.  Unless you don't want a debate, which would explain why you continue to post political comments in these other threads, knowing there likely won't be a response or retaliation without the thread being "hijacked" and the penalty flag of public opinion being thrown at the retaliating party. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 10:12 AM, FLheat said:

Although, I want the Convention Center path, the corny Hunter's Creek NIMBY cross wearing BS and concern about wetlands they NOW care about makes me puke in my mouth.

Oh, I agree about the feigned concern over wetlands.  Everything else they claimed is 100% true for border properties close to that super tall rail wall (property values; noise). 

That's a really good propaganda video, probably paid for by Universal and Orange County itself (which wants the rail line stop near the OCCC to help lure future shows and ensure future success).  The Hunter's Creek crowd were riled up by Universal much like the Tangelo Park people were riled up by Universal back when that other theme park tried to build just south of Festival Bay.  

What the video doesn't say is that this is really about Disney vs Universal and Orange Co.

Orange Co. is sitting in the background on this issue, letting Universal and Hunter's Creek have center stage.  GOAA is happy, regardless, but make no mistake the OCCC is expensive and big business.  There's no way Orange Co. would take this 417 route lying down and jeopardize the OCCC's future and it's tax base on I-Drive.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Oh, I agree about the feigned concern over wetlands.  Everything else they claimed is 100% true for border properties close to that super tall rail wall (property values; noise). 

That's a really good propaganda video, probably paid for by Universal and Orange County itself (which wants the rail line stop near the OCCC to help lure future shows and ensure future success).  The Hunter's Creek crowd were riled up by Universal much like the Tangelo Park people were riled up by Universal back when that other theme park tried to build just south of Festival Bay.  

What the video doesn't say is that this is really about Disney vs Universal and Orange Co.

Orange Co. is sitting in the background on this issue, letting Universal and Hunter's Creek have center stage.  GOAA is happy, regardless, but make no mistake the OCCC is expensive and big business.  There's no way Orange Co. would take this 417 route lying down and jeopardize the OCCC's future and it's tax base on I-Drive.

An OCCC stop for Brightline just doesn't make sense to me (and I don't have a dog in this particular hunt). 

A Disney stop makes some sense. Families take the train to Disney Spring, then transfer to their hotels on whatever system Disney puts into place. It could be practical.

But conventioneers taking a train to the OCCC? They'll do what exactly? Drag their suitcases through the concourses? Lug their suitcases down the street to whatever hotel they might be staying at? It doesn't seem practical, and if it's not practical, it won't work (at least not in large enough numbers). Plus, the people who work these conventions (the meeting planners, conference teams/staff, A/V professionals, etc.) won't use a train. Again, it just doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

• Thanks 1