Brightline Trains

FLheat

On 10/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, spenser1058 said:

Sure there are states like Illinois which have always had problems with graft. But there are states that run relatively clean. Florida began cleaning up its act with LeRoy Collins and had an amazing run with amazing progress for several decades. Not only were the Urban Democrats committed to improvements but Republicans as well, like Dan Webster and Toni Jennings when they ran the Legislature and Lou Frey in Congress. If you always assume government can only be dirty, that’s all you’ll ever get and the people of the state are simply ignored like they are now. We can do better but we have to try.

Its a great example of believing in something so much that it becomes true. We citizens are so convinced politicians are corrupt that good people are dissuaded from running while talentless hacks control the day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jack said:

Its a great example of believing in something so much that it becomes true. We citizens are so convinced politicians are corrupt that good people are dissuaded from running while talentless hacks control the day. 

Not exactly, Jack.  Believing the system is corrupt may discourage good people from running- true, but it doesn't create the corruption.  And it's never been about talent.

Case in point:  Speaking of talent or lack thereof, I just read in two threads that the designs of two more current projects were by...yet again... Baker Barrios; CSS#2  and CV Hotel and/or Office bldg. 

Back in 2005 I first learned that Tim Baker was on the design board or whatever at The City.  But that should be ignored as just mere coincidence that he's on that board, right?  And as a consequence most of the buildings downtown were all designed by BB?  Coincidence, right?

C'mon, Jack.  On a smaller scale, I also know for a fact that certain companies got the exclusivity at The Plaza when it first opened and occupiers had no choice but to use those companies for most all services.  The deal was dirtier than a box of used condoms- not to mention the midnite razing of the Jaymont Block which started it all. 

Here's some more: what about The Ustler group getting the deal for the entire CV development?  Why?  Their track record was only a handful of buildings- and cheaply made ones at that.  What about the Navy base deal for Baldwin Park back under the Hood regime?  More of the same.

I mean if you people think this is all coincidence based merely on "credentials" and "getting lucky" on bids, then I don't know what else to tell you. Government is business, not the antithesis of it.

You have a guy chop down a single tree downtown and people on these boards do all this research on the applicable code and fines, etc., in an attempt to vilify him, while at the same time simply glossing over much more damning decisions, trends, and deals that have been affecting many city blocks, entire tracts of land, and hundreds of trees in and around the City for decades.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Not exactly, Jack.  Believing the system is corrupt may discourage good people from running- true, but it doesn't create the corruption.  And it's never been about talent.

Case in point:  Speaking of talent or lack thereof, I just read in two threads that the designs of two more current projects were by...yet again... Baker Barrios; CSS#2  and CV Hotel and/or Office bldg. 

Back in 2005 I first learned that Tim Baker was on the design board or whatever at The City.  But that should be ignored as just mere coincidence that he's on that board, right?  And as a consequence most of the buildings downtown were all designed by BB?  Coincidence, right?

C'mon, Jack.  On a smaller scale, I also know for a fact that certain companies got the exclusivity at The Plaza when it first opened and occupiers had no choice but to use those companies for most all services.  The deal was dirtier than a box of used condoms- not to mention the midnite razing of the Jaymont Block which started it all. 

Here's some more: what about The Ustler group getting the deal for the entire CV development?  Why?  Their track record was only a handful of buildings- and cheaply made ones at that.  What about the Navy base deal for Baldwin Park back under the Hood regime?  More of the same.

I mean if you people think this is all coincidence based merely on "credentials" and "getting lucky" on bids, then I don't know what else to tell you. Government is business, not the antithesis of it.

You have a guy chop down a single tree downtown and people on these boards do all this research on the applicable code and fines, etc., in an attempt to vilify him, while at the same time simply glossing over much more damning decisions, trends, and deals that have been affecting many city blocks, entire tracts of land, and hundreds of trees in and around the City for decades.

I am not saying there has never been real or perceived corruption but correlation does not mean causation on the examples provided. 

As long as government has the power to select winners and losers, the potential for corruption will remain. My comment refers to my perceived lack of quality people that want to run for office. If you (not you directly) treat elected officials like corrupt morons, we will get corrupt morons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

What do the dotted routes mean vs the solid ones?  Man I remember when Jacksonville was going to be the next route after Miami......memories.

Solid means they're at least actively working on a route/ROW. Brightline actually is already working on double tracking a section for the eventual Jacksonville route, everything will be double tracked to Titusville by the end of next year from my understanding, they wanted to do it now since it will ease management of the 95/528 track interchange. I think we could realistically see Jax within a decade. Jax was an easier route then Tampa, but ridership projections are lower... connecting Tampa to the system first allows more connections to bring the ridership numbers up in Jax.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, codypet said:

What do the dotted routes mean vs the solid ones?  Man I remember when Jacksonville was going to be the next route after Miami......memories.

That was never explicitly promised.  A lot of the hyperbole from All Aboard Florida officials during the early days of planning were in response to Jacksonville area officials campaigning for a route.  If you're going to maintain broad, statewide support, you have to "dangle a carrot" to communities who can also complicate things if they are not supportive.  A good example: one of things All Aboard Florida promised was a passenger station at Ft. Pierce, to help calm community concerns against railroad improvements in St. Lucie County.  When the time came two years ago for Brightline/Virgin Trains USA to submit their RFI/RFP responses with their vision for redevelopment on a plot adjacent to the railroad tracks, they submitted something which was...errr...quite comical and showing they were clearly not invested in the idea (look it up).    This was the grand rendering of their plans, with all of the quality of the 12-year-old playing around with GIMP:

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 16.36.42.png

Unsurprisingly, they lost the bid to a local developer.  They are using the same tactic with Brevard County with the vague promise of a Melbourne station.

Edited by jliv
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, shardoon said:

I noticed the have a freight train parked on the new tracks near the beachline, which means they must have made a connection to the OUC line. 

Yep, about a month ago.

18 minutes ago, jliv said:

That was never explicitly promised.  A lot of the hyperbole from All Aboard Florida officials during the early days of planning were in response to Jacksonville area officials campaigning for a route.  If you're going to maintain broad, statewide support, you have to "dangle a carrot" to communities who can also complicate things if they are not supportive.  A good example: one of things All Aboard Florida promised was a passenger station at Ft. Pierce, to help calm community concerns against railroad improvements in St. Lucie County.  When the time came two years ago for Brightline/Virgin Trains USA to submit their RFI/RFP responses with their vision for redevelopment on a plot adjacent to the railroad tracks, they submitted something which was...errr...quite comical and showing they were clearly not invested in the idea (look it up).    This was the grand rendering of their plans, with all of the quality of the 12-year-old playing around with GIMP:

Unsurprisingly, they lost the bid to a local developer.  They are using the same tactic with Brevard County with the vague promise of a Melbourne station.

Jacksonville was more than just a dangle the carrot at the time.  It was a legit obvious 3rd leg and was more thought through than Tampa at the time.  You're correct about the Ft. Pierce station, but that's also why the ties were made there.  I don't recall the Melbourne station having real legs.  Cocoa however, I do.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Measure twice, cut once...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article256500141.html

Tri-Rail’s Miami station has a new problem: The trains won’t fit

The weight thing doesn't make any sense to me but it sounds to me that the contractor didn't build the platforms per plan and therefore its the contractor's responsibility to fix it.

This is the reason I alluded to earlier as to why Sunrail couldn't used Brightline's platforms at MCO.

5 hours ago, codypet said:

The weight thing doesn't make any sense to me but it sounds to me that the contractor didn't build the platforms per plan and therefore its the contractor's responsibility to fix it.

This is the reason I alluded to earlier as to why Sunrail couldn't used Brightline's platforms at MCO.

I think if the contractor failed to build per plan that would have been discovered way earlier during inspections.

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I think if the contractor failed to build per plan that would have been discovered way earlier during inspections.

My understanding talking to some people is that is barely an inch.  Something that I feel like could be solved with some clever sawcutting and concealing with the detectable warning mats, but they'll know better than me.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

My understanding talking to some people is that is barely an inch.  Something that I feel like could be solved with some clever sawcutting and concealing with the detectable warning mats, but they'll know better than me.

The article mentions rebar is in the way, but that also doesn't make a whole lot of sense, rebar shouldn't be an inch from the edge of the slab.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Interesting video. . . 

In the video, Brightline representative said they have signed an agreement for a a BrightLine station at Disney Springs. . . 

What Brightline thinks about their future:

Isn’t this video from last March? I could be wrong but I think any agreement is currently on hold until a route can be agreed on.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, Uncommon said:

Isn’t this video from last March? I could be wrong but I think any agreement is currently on hold until a route can be agreed on.

I don't think there's a grand route agreement to be had.

Brightline's planned route is along 417, and they are currently working to get environmental approval for that route. CFX has indicated willingness to cooperate with the 417 route, but they won't give the lease final approval until Brightline has received environmental clearance.

The main question now is how much time and cost pain Universal and Hunter's Creek can inflict during the environmental approval process.

Edited by blt23

Having watched all these meetings, I will say that I never knew the NIMBYs in Hunter's Creek had it in them.  "Please place the train over THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRE, with the poor people!" They sound like they live in College Park or something.

I have strong feelings that anyone who wishes to re-route this train should be putting up the money to make that happen.  The comment keeps being made that "it won't cost anything close to $1B to go the way WE want it to go!  It will be a fraction of that!" but the interesting thing is that I've never heard them say they will pay that fraction.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Having watched all these meetings, I will say that I never knew the NIMBYs in Hunter's Creek had it in them.  "Please place the train over THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRE, with the poor people!" They sound like they live in College Park or something.

I have strong feelings that anyone who wishes to re-route this train should be putting up the money to make that happen.  The comment keeps being made that "it won't cost anything close to $1B to go the way WE want it to go!  It will be a fraction of that!" but the interesting thing is that I've never heard them say they will pay that fraction.

well, here's something interesting to consider...

when Maglev was trying to get a route between MCO and I-Drive along 528 and/or SLR or a combination of both, wasn't the County donating the easement?  So, if Universal wants BL to realign so that they and the OCCC both benefit, then why all of the sudden is this an extra $1B to do that alignment?

• Like 1

I have a feeling it's all being done behind scenes.  The razing of the hotel next to OCC where the station would be is almost done.  Plenty of soil sampling been being done along that interchange for flyover and piles.    And besides, the walls all put up along 417 now with expansion done, leave no room along the wall to road.       Just my opinion.     Hunter Creekians ain't on here anyway, they can enjoy their big walls now and feel like they're in West Germany or something.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

I have a feeling it's all being done behind scenes.  The razing of the hotel next to OCC where the station would be is almost done.  Plenty of soil sampling been being done along that interchange for flyover and piles.    And besides, the walls all put up along 417 now with expansion done, leave no room along the wall to road.       Just my opinion.     Hunter Creekians ain't on here anyway, they can enjoy their big walls now and feel like they're in West Germany or something.

Which hotel is coming down?

• Like 1