Brightline Trains

FLheat

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I just have to say that BL not coming to Orlando is DEAD OPPOSITE of what I'm hearing from the people I know who are on this project.  Sadly though, I don't know anyone directly with BL so my info is only downstream.  They are all starting to ramp up.

Same. Someone I know who once worked as a subcontractor to All Aboard told me years ago that they'd already registered "All Aboard ______" for every state and had [what sounded like serious] plans in the works for using/upgrading lines north of Orlando into other states. This has since been echoed by multiple articles as recent as last month talking about expansion to Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas.

I would say the company has a pretty good track record so far: they've completed the West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale stations, have service running between them, have tenants moving into portions of the Miami Central station while the main buildings are well under construction, and have a reserved spot at the Orlando intermodal station. Despite the delays, I'm pretty impressed and optimistic. (Still bitter that they didn't take over Lynx Central Station and the empty lots in downtown Orlando, but that's a separate discussion...)

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, codypet said:

Alex you're right about the registering but that was before the name change.

The way I understood it is that Florida East Coast Industries owns the All Aboard brand which is building the Brightline-branded train. So technically "All Aboard" still exists...?

13 hours ago, alex said:

The way I understood it is that Florida East Coast Industries owns the All Aboard brand which is building the Brightline-branded train. So technically "All Aboard" still exists...?

All Aboard _____ is the operator, like Amtrak or Metrorail.  Brightline is the service name, like Silver Star or Orange Line.  The difference will become more evident when All Aboard ____ begins operating their second service.

Edited by WAJAS98
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, codypet said:

HankStrong.  Could you define ramp up?  Alex you're right about the registering but that was before the name change.

Both in the public and private sector they are working.  Plans, meetings, bids, lining up contractors, draft/design, upgrading signaling, moving utilities, etc.  The stuff that happens right before ground is broken and track is being laid.

I don't know a lot of specifics about how much active work is going on, but the handful of people I know around the project are optimistic and excited.  I called one of them yesterday and he said they aren't slowing down at all at this point.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, aent said:

I thought I also read the main point of the entire project was to expand their rail lines to Orlando and expand the number of tracks on the existing route, and by offering something to the people so they're less likely to fight as hard on that expansion, so the people get something out of it (outside of more products/goods getting delivered in a more efficient matter, less trucks on the road)

So in other words, this was really all about cargo...

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So in other words, this was really all about cargo...

I mean thats one point of view, we also have the point of view that its all about competing with Amtrak, and then the third point of view thats its a bit of both. I think its impossible to know the exact reasoning of the decision maker at FEC, whether it was a strategic way to get cargo transit improved (which is a huge issue right now, there isn't enough labor for truck drivers), whether they felt they could diversify and start making money for transit, and making money from real estate as well, or something else we're not even thinking of.

I don't know what Brightlines future expansion plans are, but if they can follow the old HSR from the airport to Disney, and strike a deal with Disney (as they indicated they were willing to do with the HSR) to take over the Magical Express service, it could be a huge win for everyone involved. I don't know if thats on the table, they're clearly just focused on getting the first route going right now.

• Like 2

I wonder what the flight numbers are for Orlando to Miami, and, for tourists driving as well.

I know Port Canaveral wanted the route to go close to it along the coast and not up the TNPK for a potential future station.  So, I’m not sure who spearheaded that path vs the other...

All in all, I think it is going to proceed (the leg to Orlando) and it could really get traction with tourists and businesspeople.  I’d prefer to take it, sleep, and then rent a car when I got to Miami.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, jrs2 said:

I know Port Canaveral wanted the route to go close to it along the coast and not up the TNPK for a potential future station.  So, I’m not sure who spearheaded that path vs the other...

Likely a lot to do with FEC owning much of the existing land.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:07 PM, aent said:

Hmm thats very susprising to me. Anyone know a reason why?

Laundry list of reasons really.

A colleague of mine worked on the route proposals as they affected the Ranch property east of OIA.

If they are completely focused on finishing Phase I to Miami, that is normal because they have to get Miami’s station completed asap to get at first 60-70 mile leg fully operational.  Right now the Death Star is working off of only one generator.  They need to run them all to obliterate Alderaan.  Actually, running them all means the Orlando leg is also operational.

I hate OUC.

If they took over the Magical Express service, that deal alone could fund the entire system.  Holy cow.

2 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Then again, Mears will pad local politician's and Airport Board member's pockets with cash to prevent this from happening. 

Another colleague of mine who is a former OPD laid it out for me 20 years ago about how Mears has been doing just that since the 1960’s.

8 hours ago, shardoon said:

Then again, Mears will pad local politician's and Airport Board member's pockets with cash to prevent this from happening. 

Eh, I'm sure Disney is much more powerful then Mears on getting what it wants. If that were to happen, Disney'd be in charge, and it'd likely be going the 417 route to avoid getting too close to I-Drive/Universal.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Early, early, super early numbers, but BL is claiming the ridership is 3x what was expected for the Ft. Lauderdale to WPB leg on this project.

The best quote of the article is a big one for me and a lot of you, if it is really true. 

“People are excited to be off I-95. We’ve gotten people out of traffic.” - Patrick Goddard

I think one thing most of here have in common is we think that traffic jams are a horrible thing and anything that helps that is a big positive step.  Whether you like BL, support BL, or hate BL, the commonality is that traffic jams stink and are horrible for all us and our planet.  We need some wins in that category, however they come about.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/03/08/brightline-president-train-ridership-is-3-times.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Let me state the obvious...the Brightline project is not for Orlando.

It's for the tourists.

Another slight on the local residents.

Wake me when the developers find it economically feasible to bring it downtown.

If it increases tourism to the region, pretty sure that benefits everyone.

Also, so little of Orlando's economy is based in DTO. Disney, UCF, Lockheed(s), Maitland Center, Lake Mary, Nona, etc are just as critical to our success. You could argue that MCO is more convenient than DTO from most of those places.