Brightline Trains

FLheat

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Dale said:

As long as it wasn't Rick Scott.

...based on his prior Medicare dealings, he would be considered a dirty uncle, named Uncle Dick (Dick for Richard, ya know).

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, I am Reality said:

Interesting Dilemma:  

Do Republican officials on the Treasure Coast use the Scott connection to kill the Brightline bonds?

I'm hearing whispers that people down there are not happy about the Scott connection.

Do the elected officials actually go there??

is there something new on this, or just a hypo?

• Like 1

Article about the Miami Worldcenter development and Brightline.  

The developers are using the Brightline  station as the focus of a $2 billion project.  It is currently the 2nd largest construction project in the nation. Developers recently topped off the 60 story Paramount building and started a new 43 story condo building.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2018/08/21/miami-worldcenter-developer-hails-progress-brightline/

IMG_0871.JPG

44 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Article about the Miami Worldcenter development and Brightline.  

The developers are using the Brightline  station as the focus of a $2 billion project.  It is currently the 2nd largest construction project in the nation. Developers recently topped off the 60 story Paramount building and started a new 43 story condo building.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2018/08/21/miami-worldcenter-developer-hails-progress-brightline/

IMG_0871.JPG

Ok.

I was just there 3 months ago.  How did I miss that 700 footer?  How many floors can they build in 3 full months?  6-8 floors?  Maybe I was fixated on the traffic on the Rickenbacker and the Ten Mus Park row of scrapers and missed that new one to the right and recessed behind there. 

That building depicted is out of scale, though.  As depicted it looks like an 800-900 footer because the tallest buildings behind there are in fact 700 footers, and Ten Mus Park is like 575'.  That's an old photo too, because there is a very cool looking scraper to the south of Ten Mus Park that recently topped off that's a 700 footer as well.

Also, this project is nowhere near the Brightline station.  But, Metromover is to it's east.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Ok.

I was just there 3 months ago.  How did I miss that 700 footer?  How many floors can they build in 3 full months?  6-8 floors?  Maybe I was fixated on the traffic on the Rickenbacker and the Ten Mus Park row of scrapers and missed that new one to the right and recessed behind there. 

That building depicted is out of scale, though.  As depicted it looks like an 800-900 footer because the tallest buildings behind there are in fact 700 footers, and Ten Mus Park is like 575'.  That's an old photo too, because there is a very cool looking scraper to the south of Ten Mus Park that recently topped off that's a 700 footer as well.

Also, this project is nowhere near the Brightline station.  But, Metromover is to it's east.

FYI: several towers ranging to 890' are slated to begin soon in the immediate area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Ok.

It’s about 3 blocks north of the Brightline Station. It may appear further because until late this area of downtown Miami has remained as abandoned lots and homeless encampments for decades. Once fully built out, there will be a seemless transition from  Miami World Center into the CBD.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

It’s about 3 blocks north of the Brightline Station. It may appear further because until late this area of downtown Miami has remained as abandoned lots and homeless encampments for decades. Once fully built out, there will be a seemless transition from  Miami World Center into the CBD.

It's already becoming unrecognizable and will be spectacular 3-5 years from now.

• Like 2

Great location next to the basketball arena. I am surprised there isn't more of a restaurant/retail element to the development, but it's definitely nice.

I saw an article 1-2 weeks ago about how much dirty money is floating around Miami.  Nearly all downtown development is dependent on foreign money, alot of it laundered by elicit sources.  The worry is that a government clampdown could stall the real estate market there.  The Miami economy is already fragile. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

It's already becoming unrecognizable and will be spectacular 3-5 years from now.

I remember going to a number of different clubs in some of the warehouses there in the late 90s.  I really now wish I had pictures of the state of underdevelopment at that time to compare it to now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Yeah I just checked Google maps.  That tower is about 3 blocks to the north and 3 blocks to the east of BL.  I did not realize that it was even that close.  I kept thinking that it was west of the courthouse; but it's north of the courthouse.

9 hours ago, Dale said:

What I'm getting is that Brightline is the reason for the delay to Orlando, not lawsuits.

I definitely don't agree with that. They can't build with lawsuits pending on their right to build or finance the project. I don't think Brightline has any desire to really have a station in those communities that are fighting it, like they're offering to do now. They expressly said they were against it before. They might be fishing for a good real estate deal/government incentive while also solving the lawsuit problem, but if they can get away with not building a station and just getting past a "point of no return"  by exploring station locations in the area, they could solve the problem without even building it. If the real estate deal makes sense outside of the station, they could build it and not few to no trains through that station as well to simply satisify they have a station. I don't see them running a substantial number of non-express trains without substantial ridership first. Brightline needs this system to make a profit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe said:

Absolutely. Isn’t there a brand new (albeit salmon colored interior) station in Orlando anticipating their arrival?

my friend, it is not '80's outdated salmon colored; it's some other outdated hue; LOL.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, I am Reality said:

I'm not buying it.  They'll do the study and if they build stations, they will only be bare platforms I think.  If they build anything, they need to build a station in Cocoa to ferry cruise ship passengers between OIA and PC (IMO)- that's major ridership numbers right there.

2 hours ago, aent said:

I definitely don't agree with that. They can't build with lawsuits pending on their right to build or finance the project. I don't think Brightline has any desire to really have a station in those communities that are fighting it, like they're offering to do now. They expressly said they were against it before. They might be fishing for a good real estate deal/government incentive while also solving the lawsuit problem, but if they can get away with not building a station and just getting past a "point of no return"  by exploring station locations in the area, they could solve the problem without even building it. If the real estate deal makes sense outside of the station, they could build it and not few to no trains through that station as well to simply satisify they have a station. I don't see them running a substantial number of non-express trains without substantial ridership first. Brightline needs this system to make a profit.

I'm almost sure someone posted a TV news spot indicating Brightline was two years behind filing plans through Orange County, never mind the coastal section.

• Like 1

Just now, Dale said:

I'm almost sure someone posted a TV news spot indicating Brightline was two years behind filing plans through Orange County, never mind the coastal section.

Yeah, they've been having lawsuit after lawsuit. Permits expire, if there is a reasonable risk of an injunction causing delays while a court hears the case (which there no doubt was, judges don't like to have cases be moot by the time they rule), there is no reason to go through the approval process until that risk has subsided. As it is, it still hasn't, as each case is finished new ones are filed.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If they build anything, they need to build a station in Cocoa to ferry cruise ship passengers between OIA and PC (IMO)- that's major ridership numbers right there.

I think this is very important but I'm not sure if their agreement with the expressway folks allows it.  This station will be mandatory if they start looking to expand to Jax so they must have a way out of that part of the agreement if there is a clause about it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If they build anything, they need to build a station in Cocoa to ferry cruise ship passengers between OIA and PC (IMO)- that's major ridership numbers right there.

Amen to this.  As we've discussed, the cruise numbers are GOING WAY UP and this is a perfect way to get them there.

• Like 2