Brightline Trains

FLheat

Im heartened to see that our officials are doing their job.  Brightline can reach a deal with Sunrail very much like with they did with Trirail.  Although I would much rather  see Sunrail get access to these tracks as opposed to seeing Brightline ferrying our commuters back and forth from Meadow woods to MCO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Im heartened to see that our officials are doing their job.  Brightline can reach a deal with Sunrail very much like with they did with Trirail.  Although I would much rather  see Sunrail get access to these tracks as opposed to seeing Brightline ferrying our commuters back and forth from Meadow woods to MCO. 

The possibility of that was mentioned in one of the two videos.

20 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

The thing is my understanding is if Sunrail does the connection to the airport, every other train will be diverted to go to the airport instead of the southern leg of Sunrail. If that is indeed the case:

1) the southern portion will have even more infrequent service, in my eyes making it useless

2) the southern leg will have to get off and board another train anyways to use the airport connector, except with no possibility for optimizing timings, you're always waiting the full time period for the next train (2 hours in off peak, 30 minutes in peak)

The wait times are simply too long to let Sunrail do it. If OBX does happen (which it looks like it won't unless OC changes the way we vote), I think it'd make more sense for that to go to the airport instead of just ending downtown, potentially providing 2 different transfer trains with hopefully better timings to make sunrail more useful.

45 minutes ago, aent said:

The thing is my understanding is if Sunrail does the connection to the airport, every other train will be diverted to go to the airport instead of the southern leg of Sunrail. If that is indeed the case:

1) the southern portion will have even more infrequent service, in my eyes making it useless

2) the southern leg will have to get off and board another train anyways to use the airport connector, except with no possibility for optimizing timings, you're always waiting the full time period for the next train (2 hours in off peak, 30 minutes in peak)

The wait times are simply too long to let Sunrail do it. If OBX does happen (which it looks like it won't unless OC changes the way we vote), I think it'd make more sense for that to go to the airport instead of just ending downtown, potentially providing 2 different transfer trains with hopefully better timings to make sunrail more useful.

So based on this report http://www.cflroads.com/asset/file/3515/2018-05_Project_Development_and_Environment_Study_pdf (I believe on page 58 in the recommended alternative) there will be a Sunrail transfer station just north of the OUC rail spur and a separate train will run to the terminal. This allows for greater headways on that route and less of a hassle coordinating around freight and amtrak trains and the very issue of stations being cut off. This alternative proposes two platforms on the main rail line (one for the northbound/southbound trains, and one specifically for OIA trains) with the ability for passengers to cross over to the other platform to transfer. By page 63 the maps tell the tale.

Edited by aleonrivera

1 hour ago, aent said:

I agree.  This connection is going to be very complicated and something will end up being substandard (having to switch trains or increased travel times between Kissimmee and downtown).  Having the main train station be located about 5 miles east of our main train line makes everything difficult.  I think the best option is to have all Sunrail trains stop at the airport, using the new Brightline tracks through the OUC spur.  This will screw up travel times between Kissimmee and downtown but they can hopefully minimize the delay.  This will make a transfer station unnecessary and Brightline won't need to have an extra station between the airport and wherever their next stop will be.  The best option (other than Brightline building a station downtown) would be to have the OBX service stop at LYNX station and then go straight to the airport so Sunrail could get downtown from Kissimmee faster.  This would not help folks from Kissimmee get to the airport though but it would fix the Sunrail travel time issue.

Eh, if there's in essence a train shuttle between Intermodal and Sunrail (whether it be Meadow Woods or Sand Lake), I don't think a connection is that big of a deal.  How is that different from JFK (AirTrain --> LIRR/MTA)?  Or ORD, CLE or any number of places where only one train goes to the airport, so if you don't live on that line you have to commute to the center of the city and then transfer to your line.

Edited by AndyPok1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, aent said:

3 hours ago, aleonrivera said:

So based on this report http://www.cflroads.com/asset/file/3515/2018-05_Project_Development_and_Environment_Study_pdf (I believe on page 58 in the recommended alternative) there will be a Sunrail transfer station just north of the OUC rail spur and a separate train will run to the terminal. This allows for greater headways on that route and less of a hassle coordinating around freight and amtrak trains and the very issue of stations being cut off. This alternative proposes two platforms on the main rail line (one for the northbound/southbound trains, and one specifically for OIA trains) with the ability for passengers to cross over to the other platform to transfer. By page 63 the maps tell the tale.

IIRC this was the original plan.  The BL proposal to use the Meadow Woods is a relatively new thing (within the last 6 months) and IMO makes more sense than CFRC building a transfer station in the middle nowhere.  As I've said before the Sunrail trains won't fit at BL's platform so it'll likely be BL operating the "shuttle" which means CFRC would be cutting a check to BL to effectively cover the at least the operating cost and some of the construction cost of the line between OIA and MW.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gibby said:

I agree.  This connection is going to be very complicated and something will end up being substandard (having to switch trains or increased travel times between Kissimmee and downtown).  Having the main train station be located about 5 miles east of our main train line makes everything difficult.  I think the best option is to have all Sunrail trains stop at the airport, using the new Brightline tracks through the OUC spur.  This will screw up travel times between Kissimmee and downtown but they can hopefully minimize the delay.  This will make a transfer station unnecessary and Brightline won't need to have an extra station between the airport and wherever their next stop will be.  The best option (other than Brightline building a station downtown) would be to have the OBX service stop at LYNX station and then go straight to the airport so Sunrail could get downtown from Kissimmee faster.  This would not help folks from Kissimmee get to the airport though but it would fix the Sunrail travel time issue.

Well ideally we'd get both OBX to the airport and Brightline to Meadow Wood, as if you're in Kissimmee, it obviously will be faster to avoid downtown and transfer at Meadow Wood to the airport. Downtown would have a direct airport connector, and no added time on any route. Also, if timed properly, you could have OBX slightly before the Sunrail train, and Brightline arrive slightly after, making it so if you're connecting to Sunrail, you could just check the schedule and get to Sunrail more quickly from the airport. I think its good Brightline will have a more "local" station, as neither Disney nor the airport are ideal for local residents, and would be very difficult/expensive to park at. Hopefully Meadow Wood can have some cheaper/easier parking, so it I'm going for dinner with my family in South Florida, I can just drive to Meadow Wood, park for free or real cheap (compared to the airport or Disney at least). I'd have no desire for Sunrail to connect if you got OBX and Brightline to the airport.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

I just wonder if there is any end to suing, or will people finally get the message and fold ?

From what I've heard, this is the end of suing to prevent construction, but there is still plans to sue to make them cover costs of operations through their county, including roadway crossing maintenance, any public services provided, etc.... we are down to one county suing now (or planning to sue again), as the other one settled (and presumably got something out of it, Indian River was the only one who wanted take a deal)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:15 AM, HankStrong said:

I can't find my prints but this presentation exhibit (albeit not a set of plans) even shows the station @ 192 & I-4 not 2.5 miles down the road @ World Dr.

Tampa-Orlando_route.png

I knew my memory wasn't that foggy.  I came across the old 2010 HSR plans the other day.  They show the station between World Dr and 192.

20190102_120917.jpg

• Thanks 1