Sign in to follow this  
FLheat

The Brightline

HAHAHAHA, Nice one Jernigan.  I keep imagining myself in a bank tube from the 80s when I see these hyperloop videos.  Except with more techno and happiness. 

On 4/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, Jernigan said:

If they happens they send a surge of air to push you out the other end.   A move known as the hyperpoop 

Wasn't there a James Bond movie where he was in a servicing vehicle in a pipeline tube?  Pierce Brosnan?  It would be like that I imagine.

Actually, it shouldn't be much different than being in a subway, right?  It's still a tube.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:52 AM, jrs2 said:

If my house abutted train tracks, I'd be ticked off too.  And I wouldn't be worried about the public good and benefits to Miami and Orlando tourism either.  Someone's reasons are their reasons.  I don't know what the litmus test for "defensible" would be in this case.

But, I don't live along that route; I live in Orlando, and I want this train up and running.  If it went up the Fla TNPK corridor we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Too bad it didn't go up the I-95 median instead.

The problem with that Bill was that it did target FEC and the Brightline system.

There is nothing to be ticked off about. Currently, double decker freight trains use these very tracks many times a day. I have a large commercial property that I am developing in Brevard county that borders these tracks. I can tell you, in my office, which is still about 200 feet from the tracks...... the earth shakes when the freight trains go through. Brightline is gonna be a joke compared to that. 

Great news for Brightline - the lawsuits filed against it by Marin and Indian River counties has been dismissed by a federal judge. We're now one step closer to having Brightline come to Orlando.

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/shaping-our-future/all-aboard-florida/2017/05/10/federal-judge-dismisses-counties-challenge-all-aboard-florida/101525222/

• Like 4

Interesting the counties are hanging their hats on Environmental reviews for taking the case up again. Have they not been noticing what's been going on with the EPA recently?

8 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

Interesting the counties are hanging their hats on Environmental reviews for taking the case up again. Have they not been noticing what's been going on with the EPA recently?

Hoisted by their own petard... 

So, the OBJ yesterday had an article where they stated that site work is starting on the Orlando leg in the form of stormwater relocations along the 528 I think.

14 hours ago, codypet said:

Permit doesn't mean site work has begun.  They still have a long way to go.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business/new-could-minor-change-track-route-delay-brightline-orlando/jEVhlCfwJBw1kqfVPL5C2M/

Here is a September 29, 2017 article about FEC renewing their push for a Fed loan and other issues.  Interesting read.

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Meanwhile, the latest in the skirmish between Brightline and the Treasure Coast. The latest salvo seems to be over a derailment that took place back in February.

From Orlando Rising:

http://orlando-rising.com/brightline-february-train-car-derailment-comes-light-critics-call-disturbing/

so, a low speed derailment in the rail yard.  were they switching railroad ties and the changer mechanism failed?  they don't say.  $400k in damage isn't much at all.  so long as it doesn't fly off the track at 100mph.

The actual event does seem to be minor. In what seems to be a regularly occurring problem with FECRR (or for that matter CSX, the two railroads I've had dealings with over the years), the lack of transparency is what came back to bite them. Hardly the way to win hearts and minds. 

They seem to believe they have enough political leverage to move forward, though, so that may be all they need.

• Like 1