Brightline Trains

FLheat

On 4/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, Jernigan said:

If they happens they send a surge of air to push you out the other end.   A move known as the hyperpoop 

Wasn't there a James Bond movie where he was in a servicing vehicle in a pipeline tube?  Pierce Brosnan?  It would be like that I imagine.

Actually, it shouldn't be much different than being in a subway, right?  It's still a tube.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:52 AM, jrs2 said:

If my house abutted train tracks, I'd be ticked off too.  And I wouldn't be worried about the public good and benefits to Miami and Orlando tourism either.  Someone's reasons are their reasons.  I don't know what the litmus test for "defensible" would be in this case.

But, I don't live along that route; I live in Orlando, and I want this train up and running.  If it went up the Fla TNPK corridor we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Too bad it didn't go up the I-95 median instead.

The problem with that Bill was that it did target FEC and the Brightline system.

There is nothing to be ticked off about. Currently, double decker freight trains use these very tracks many times a day. I have a large commercial property that I am developing in Brevard county that borders these tracks. I can tell you, in my office, which is still about 200 feet from the tracks...... the earth shakes when the freight trains go through. Brightline is gonna be a joke compared to that. 

• 5 weeks later...

Great news for Brightline - the lawsuits filed against it by Marin and Indian River counties has been dismissed by a federal judge. We're now one step closer to having Brightline come to Orlando.

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/shaping-our-future/all-aboard-florida/2017/05/10/federal-judge-dismisses-counties-challenge-all-aboard-florida/101525222/

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

Interesting the counties are hanging their hats on Environmental reviews for taking the case up again. Have they not been noticing what's been going on with the EPA recently?

Hoisted by their own petard... 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, codypet said:

Permit doesn't mean site work has begun.  They still have a long way to go.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business/new-could-minor-change-track-route-delay-brightline-orlando/jEVhlCfwJBw1kqfVPL5C2M/

Here is a September 29, 2017 article about FEC renewing their push for a Fed loan and other issues.  Interesting read.

15 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Meanwhile, the latest in the skirmish between Brightline and the Treasure Coast. The latest salvo seems to be over a derailment that took place back in February.

From Orlando Rising:

http://orlando-rising.com/brightline-february-train-car-derailment-comes-light-critics-call-disturbing/

so, a low speed derailment in the rail yard.  were they switching railroad ties and the changer mechanism failed?  they don't say.  $400k in damage isn't much at all.  so long as it doesn't fly off the track at 100mph.

The actual event does seem to be minor. In what seems to be a regularly occurring problem with FECRR (or for that matter CSX, the two railroads I've had dealings with over the years), the lack of transparency is what came back to bite them. Hardly the way to win hearts and minds. 

They seem to believe they have enough political leverage to move forward, though, so that may be all they need.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

He might be right, as far as the immediate future, say the next five to ten years is concerned, but what about fifteen - twenty - thirty years in the future? 

Will those future Floridians be glad we invested the resources now in order to have something like this in place for them to enjoy and benefit from?

Only time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

A nice little Brightline article that isn't behind the paywall.  Nothing you probably don't already know or didn't see before, but it is a nice overview article with all the info in one place.

Emphasizes things like handicap accessibility options and amenities.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/01/08/a-preview-of-brightline-project.html

Interestingly, we are heading to Miami in a few days and it is a shame this isn't running already.  We're going to be with family, so we actually have no need for a car other than to drive up/back.  It would've been the perfect trip to test.  Oh well, we'll have to do it in a few years.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Dale said:

So, Orlando is getting a $1.5 billion bus station at the airport ?

Lynx was long condemned to the bowels of the building thanks to Mears' lobbying so that would certainly be an improvement.

Meanwhile, let's all sing: "Go Greyhound (Go Greyhound) and Leave the Driving To Us"

From YouTube

Edited by spenser1058

On 2/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, spenser1058 said:

An interesting look at where Brightline is now that part of it is up and running:

http://www.governing.com/topics/transportation-infrastructure/gov-south-florida-train-brightline.html

From Governing

Bottom line for Orlando: we probably shouldn't hold our breath.

Great article.  Very comprehensive.  Confirms my suspicions about the Scott administration, ala, Hollingsworth being the connection between Scott and AAF and the saying no to Obama’s $$$ for HSR.  It will happen.  And I’ll tell you why.  Scott gave $$$ to the Intermodal Center.  Damnit if that author refers to OIA as the “Orlando airport” one more time!  Geez!  Anyway, being that the State invested money already, there’s no way they’ll allow the line to not be completed to OIA- is my point.

^^

Great videos from yesteryear for Greyhound!  Everyone was so formal back then; now everyone just schleps around.

Edited by jrs2

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

Great article.  Very comprehensive.  Confirms my suspicions about the Scott administration, ala, Hollingsworth being the connection between Scott and AAF and the saying no to Obama’s $$$ for HSR.  It will happen.  And I’ll tell you why.  Scott gave $$$ to the Intermodal Center.  Damnit if that author refers to OIA as the “Orlando airport” one more time!  Geez!  Anyway, being that the State invested money already, there’s no way they’ll allow the line to not be completed to OIA- is my point.

I have to disagree since FEC already got what they really wanted in the first place: the downtown land and access in Dade/Broward/Palm Beach. Remember, Rick's leaving office this year and will never mention it again (keep in mind, this is the same guy whose company defrauded the federal government of millions and never expressed any remorse.)

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

I have to disagree since FEC already got what they really wanted in the first place: the downtown land and access in Dade/Broward/Palm Beach. Remember, Rick's leaving office this year and will never mention it again (keep in mind, this is the same guy whose company defrauded the federal government of millions and never expressed any remorse.)

So, what you’re saying is that FEC’s main goal was those three downtown stations?  Oh boy...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I thought I also read the main point of the entire project was to expand their rail lines to Orlando and expand the number of tracks on the existing route, and by offering something to the people so they're less likely to fight as hard on that expansion, so the people get something out of it (outside of more products/goods getting delivered in a more efficient matter, less trucks on the road)