Gay Nashville

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

It is so great to see our state get some recognition in the media.  Any publicity is good publicity.  Right?  Sen Campfield is at it again.  Stacey,  kind of a girlie name, gets mentioned on The Colbert Report  I thought it was amusing.

http://www.advocate.com/comedy/2013/02/08/watch-stephen-colbert-dissects-dont-say-gay-legislator

This is the best we got folks.

It is so great to see our state get some recognition in the media.  Any publicity is good publicity.  Right?  Sen Campfield is at it again.  Stacey,  kind of a girlie name, gets mentioned on The Colbert Report  I thought it was amusing.

http://www.advocate.com/comedy/2013/02/08/watch-stephen-colbert-dissects-dont-say-gay-legislator

I try to keep my politics to myself, but Stacey Campfield is a total jackass. How such a primitive-minded human being could be elected to office is beyond me.

Yeah, such a "manly" name....

I try to keep my politics to myself, but Stacey Campfield is a total jackass. How such a primitive-minded human being could be elected to office is beyond me.

Fortunately, not all of us share your opinion. I think he's one of our best legislators in the body and refreshingly doesn't bow to extremist PC political interests and groups. That he draws flak from the usual suspects in the media, et al, tells me he's doing an excellent job. :)

Fortunately, not all of us share your opinion. I think he's one of our best legislators in the body and refreshingly doesn't bow to extremist PC political interests and groups. That he draws flak from the usual suspects in the media, et al, tells me he's doing an excellent job. :)

Regardless of his or anyone's opinion on gays/gay marriage/social issues, etc, this is a guy who publicly stated that he thinks it is virtually impossible for AIDS to be transmitted through heterosexual sex. That is inconceivably ignorant. I don't want anyone who is that obtuse to be in any sort of position of power, and especially not in my home state. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with being PC. He draws flak from much more than the "usual suspects," but rather paints this state as ignorant and backwater because outsiders associate his ignorance with this state as a whole. 

Regardless of his or anyone's opinion on gays/gay marriage/social issues, etc, this is a guy who publicly stated that he thinks it is virtually impossible for AIDS to be transmitted through heterosexual sex. That is inconceivably ignorant. I don't want anyone who is that obtuse to be in any sort of position of power, and especially not in my home state. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with being PC. He draws flak from much more than the "usual suspects," but rather paints this state as ignorant and backwater because outsiders associate his ignorance with this state as a whole. 

What is typical is that virtually anything he says is misreported or deliberately distorted. If and when he does make a statement, right or wrong, the attention he receives dwarfs that of other elected officials (rarely do I see such attention paid to members of the opposition who say and do ghastly things on a frequent basis). I could also similarly care less what outsiders think about him, based on either that aforementioned misreporting or a hatred for someone who pursues a non-radical, non-PC agenda.

It is clear the elites in this state loathe him because he isn't PC, and doesn't toe the trendy, radical line, and that makes him an enormous breath of fresh air in this extraordinarily stale and statist climate. Given that my own representatives (Sherry Jones, Thelma Harper & Jim Cooper) are thoroughly useless and support and vote for causes I find viscerally repugnant, I look to leaders like Sen. Campfield to stand up for my beliefs and views. God bless him for it. :yahoo:

Stacey is a large reason why we have the worst legislature in the nation. He is trying to make a name for himself, and in the process embarasses our state. His misunderstanding of even the most basic of issues is hilarious to me. But he does have his supporters, people like fieldmarshall.

^I think we have one of the best legislatures in the country, and it took us a long time to finally get it (of course, there's still room for improvement - it's still a bit centrist for me). To make the claim we are one of the worst is ludicrous on its face, especially with states like CA, IL, MA, NJ, CT, et al., with grossly incompetent and corrupt legislatures. We're not the ones running obscene debts, regulating and taxing individuals and businesses to the hilt and driving them out or pushing other offensive radical social agendas. We're fast becoming the model of responsible, Constitution-based governance, and it's why people want to move here rather than flee. I cannot fathom the logic of those that would want us to mimic the agenda making those other states unliveable.

What is typical is that virtually anything he says is misreported or deliberately distorted. If and when he does make a statement, right or wrong, the attention he receives dwarfs that of other elected officials (rarely do I see such attention paid to members of the opposition who say and do ghastly things on a frequent basis). I could also similarly care less what outsiders think about him, based on either that aforementioned misreporting or a hatred for someone who pursues a non-radical, non-PC agenda.

It is clear the elites in this state loathe him because he isn't PC, and doesn't toe the trendy, radical line, and that makes him an enormous breath of fresh air in this extraordinarily stale and statist climate. Given that my own representatives (Sherry Jones, Thelma Harper & Jim Cooper) are thoroughly useless and support and vote for causes I find viscerally repugnant, I look to leaders like Sen. Campfield to stand up for my beliefs and views. God bless him for it. :yahoo:

Lmao...I love it.  Calling those on the opposite end of the political spectrum "elites" to feed the bizarre conservative fantasy that you're constantly under attack and oppressed, while your guys control practically every facet of government in the state.  Pretty rich stuff right there.

Not here to debate gay rights or Rep. Campfield, but I will agree with FMJ that our state government, faults and all, is very well-run compared to most of the country. You may not like some of social proposals, but the fiscal management has been outstanding since '02.

^I think we have one of the best legislatures in the country, and it took us a long time to finally get it (of course, there's still room for improvement - it's still a bit centrist for me). To make the claim we are one of the worst is ludicrous on its face, especially with states like CA, IL, MA, NJ, CT, et al., with grossly incompetent and corrupt legislatures. We're not the ones running obscene debts, regulating and taxing individuals and businesses to the hilt and driving them out or pushing other offensive radical social agendas. We're fast becoming the model of responsible, Constitution-based governance, and it's why people want to move here rather than flee. I cannot fathom the logic of those that would want us to mimic the agenda making those other states unliveable.

Lmao...I love it.  Calling those on the opposite end of the political spectrum "elites" to feed the bizarre conservative fantasy that you're constantly under attack and oppressed, while your guys control practically every facet of government in the state.  Pretty rich stuff right there.

Hey, man, well, for starters, they ARE elites. Secondly, us NON-elites are under constant attack from almost every direction (in a way you guys on the left would never be able to withstand were you held to the same such standards by the media/culture/political establishment, et al). And "our guys" certainly do not control every facet of government in the state. The judiciary, for starters, dominated by the unconstitutional and byzantine methods foisted to assure non-Conservative (or non-GOP) dominance. Certainly not Nashville or Memphis or other city governments, where the one party statist regime has remained in place since Reconstruction (at least in the former two) without so much as a break. Hell, not even the political cesspool known as the Windy City has gone THAT long with one-party Dem control (not that their last GOP Mayor, Big Bill Thompson, was anything to crow about, but I digress). Your side may thankfully be on the decline in TN as a whole, but you're far from fully eviscerated. I tell you what, though, after our side controls things for 140 years and becomes statist and decadent, you have my full permission to call us "elites." :thumbsup:

Not here to debate gay rights or Rep. Campfield, but I will agree with FMJ that our state government, faults and all, is very well-run compared to most of the country. You may not like some of social proposals, but the fiscal management has been outstanding since '02.

Yes, indeed. Considering that some around here would hope for us to emulate those paragons of "unembarrassing governance" such as California or Illinois, well, to borrow a phrase, that's pretty rich stuff right there (and boy, do you have to be to live there). :rofl:

Hey, man, well, for starters, they ARE elites. Secondly, us NON-elites are under constant attack from almost every direction (in a way you guys on the left would never be able to withstand were you held to the same such standards by the media/culture/political establishment, et al). And "our guys" certainly do not control every facet of government in the state. The judiciary, for starters, dominated by the unconstitutional and byzantine methods foisted to assure non-Conservative (or non-GOP) dominance. Certainly not Nashville or Memphis or other city governments, where the one party statist regime has remained in place since Reconstruction (at least in the former two) without so much as a break. Hell, not even the political cesspool known as the Windy City has gone THAT long with one-party Dem control (not that their last GOP Mayor, Big Bill Thompson, was anything to crow about, but I digress). Your side may thankfully be on the decline in TN as a whole, but you're far from fully eviscerated. I tell you what, though, after our side controls things for 140 years and becomes statist and decadent, you have my full permission to call us "elites." :thumbsup:

I don't think any reply is necessary, you've made my case for me

I realize there are a bunch of terrible state legislatures. Ours just has a propensity to fundamentally misunderstand science and also loves guns everywhere and hates gay people. Which are very easy things for intelligent people to poke fun at. I'd rather our state be attracting intelligent people.

http://open.salon.com/blog/frank_michels/2012/04/13/our_idiot_tennessee_legislators

I would like our state be progressive and welcoming of everyone. I do not mind slightly higher taxes. California may have extremely high taxes, but its also an awesome place to live in many areas. Same is true of Chicago and New York. You pay a price to live in those cities, we understand that.

Samsonh

I read and considered your response and have a follow-up question. Besides Campfield, who is only proposing bills, what actual laws have been passed that persecute gay people? What I am getting at is that many people seem to be saying either everything is permissible, or it is a sign that people hate gays.

I have a similar question regarding your conjecture that the TN legislature has a problem with established science.

Regarding the bill passed last April, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/13/us-usa-education-tennessee-idUSBRE83C0JR20120413. I must say I do not disagree with purpose of the bill. This very clearly improved critical thinking of the students. I truly fail to see you objection to this bill which encourages all the open-mindedness for which you seem to advocate on other matters.

The rest, about 60 percent, avoided controversy by limiting evolution instruction to molecular biology, telling students they need not believe in evolution to score well on tests, or exposing students to all positions, scientific and otherwise, to let them make up their own minds, the article said. ( here )

In teaching climate change, Ekwurzel said the U.S. National Academy of Sciences offered useful classroom information in a May 2010 report that affirmed the reality of climate change, its largely human cause and the significant risk posed to human and natural systems.

But James Taylor of the Chicago-based free-market Heartland Institute, which plans to offer a global warming K-12 curriculum pointing up scientific disagreement about the impact of climate change, questioned the academy's assessment and those who advocate it.

"To gloss that disagreement over, to pretend that it does not exist, is misrepresenting the science and doing a disservice to students and teachers alike," Taylor said by phone.

The gun support in the TN legislature is fairly obvious and I am in agreement so far, but I hope they do not jump the shark.

The link you posted is absurd and does not deserve a response. I could demonstrate the same by playing to stereotypes but it creates noise and not conversation. IMO

Cheers'

The second link is better, or at least less insulting. The Rep. is wrong plain and simple. The bill will not pass so there really is no controversy. 

http://stuviews.tumblr.com/post/41381728295/the-raging-absurdity-of-house-bill-1088

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30214/new-math-time-indiana-tried-change-pi-32

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2012/01/08/another-crazy-bill-in-new-hampshire/

http://wizbangblog.com/2011/08/30/the-legislature-of-the-state-of-california-has-officially-gone-crazy/

note* unlike most of the other examples CA routinely passes its crazy legislation. ha ha

The state legislature in our state doesn't really have a great deal of power, and the people in the legislature know this imo. The reps and senators would like to use it as a jumping off point to a job that matters, as many have done in the past. Some people go in and do a great job(Marsha Blackburn comes to mind from years ago), whereas others come in and attempt to pass don't say gay bills.

The thing about creating a welcoming environment as a state is this: It doesn't matter what bills pass or don't pass. What matters is the perception and what you are getting publicity for.

Why was the link absurd? Was there anything at all untrue in it? Anything at all?

As for other hilarious bills/laws:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-governor-passes-controversial-gateway-sexual-behavior-law/story?id=16335600

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2011/06/14/tennessee-continues-to-pass-ba/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/04/11/tennessee-passes-law-allowing-creationism-in-the-classroom/ -

We will disagree on the last link. It is clear there is little common ground on this, and that's fine. But how did that bill improve critical thinking of students? I mean, when you are following Lousiana's lead on education you are generally doing the wrong thing.

Also, FMJ, here is your a great example of the kind of man Campfield is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Campfield#Campfield_on_the_origin_and_transmission_of_AIDS

I was intending to post a rather lengthy response, but for now, I'll just refrain seeing as how FieldMarshaldj essentially proved my argument far better than I ever could anyway.  Generally, I'm not worried about people of that ilk.  Why?  Because despite the paranoid, frantic, desperate, fear and sometimes hate (which is just an expression of fear) centered ravings and rantings of some social conservatives (note that I said social, not fiscal) throughout the ages, society has always and will always eventually progress once those folks slowly have their mostly irrational fears adequately quelled. 

Fear is a natural thing, and in some cases, it's even healthy.  It's just a shame though that real human beings, through no fault of their own, have to suffer, sometimes severely, in the meantime simply because some would rather fear things and people that they do not understand rather than simply make an attempt to understand them.  What makes matters even worse is that often times, those people aren't able to deal with their fears in a healthy manner, and would prefer instead to lash out at the object of their fears (whether that object is ethnic minorities, empowered women, homosexuals, immigrants, atheists, tenants of a religion unfamiliar to them etc.) and then compound the issue by attempting to create an aire of fake nobility and virtue around their negative words and actions by attributing them to some skewed concept of patriotism and/or religious duty.  Some, like our friend FieldMarshaldj even go so far as to create completely alternate realities in which they are, somehow, the true victims, even though they're almost always the ones on the offensive.  These schemes, of course, hint at the probability that deep down, they are aware that their beliefs are wrong, but they generally do whatever it takes to maintain the facade so they can avoid having to confront their fears (and the subsequent guilt) like mature adults. It's actually some pretty complex psychology, but it's a game that most rational individuals can see right through, I think.  It's just unfortunate that it sometimes takes so long for people to come to terms with it themselves and admit that it's all an elaborate charade.

Archived