Sign in to follow this  
joeDowntown

Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

Recommended Posts

On 5/15/2017 at 8:54 AM, joeDowntown said:

Does anyone know if they have plans for the old schoolhouse that sit next to the Thornapple Grille? I'm sure it was moved to the site, but it's a great little historic building. Hope they move it (as opposed to demolishing it) and keep it in the "Village".

Joe

Cheri DeVos knows:

amway heir works to save old schoolhouse

Edited by walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


48 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

Wyoming could take some notes but they are on a different scale with no real historical past 

And no wealthy local family appears interested in owning Wyoming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pictures of the new development next to Kingma's, which just opened. Looks like Gravel Bottom is moving. It's amazing how much lower in elevation the old buildings in this development were. 

So far, a flower shop, a knitting store, and Gravel Bottom. 

 

ada remake.jpg

Ada remake 2.jpg

Ada remake 3.jpg

ada remake 4.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Anyone gone to the new Kingmas in Ada. Looks pretty nice, and they seem to have landed some good elements from GR- Rowsters, Fishlads, etc. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/09/new_kingmas_features_locally-g.html

Joe

2

I stopped in this morning to grab some coffee from Rowsters.  It has some of the same feel as the Plainfield store but a lot more light and open space.   Decent beer selection (like Plainfield) and they had the same wall of bulk food (like Plainfield).   I didn't check out Fish Lads or Carver's.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Ada remake 2.jpg

I know its far from done but I hope they fill this in with more awnings and horizontal signage. Would have been nice to see brick sidewalks as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped into Zeytin today.  They said they will remain in their current place until next June.  She also said they will be in a new on the river...which is supposed to start build in the next few weeks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, john_denver said:

I stopped into Zeytin today.  They said they will remain in their current place until next June.  She also said they will be in a new on the river...which is supposed to start build in the next few weeks

That's great news. I love the food at Zeytin.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the many interesting things going on in Ada, it sounds like they're preparing plans for a pretty sizable "downtown" civic building with a library, community center, and maybe a market space of some form? I'm glad to hear that they're at least including public spaces/uses in this project and it isn't just a fancy shopping center of sorts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to someone that works at Amway, and they are knocking down the original office space on the east side of the complex (they said it still looks like an episode of madmen, offices with a wetbar, etc). They are also knocking down the pressure plant behind it (I guess they started outsourcing this function). They're going use this new space to extend the green space along river as part of the whole Ada project. 

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 5:40 PM, GVSUChris said:

Of the many interesting things going on in Ada, it sounds like they're preparing plans for a pretty sizable "downtown" civic building with a library, community center, and maybe a market space of some form? I'm glad to hear that they're at least including public spaces/uses in this project and it isn't just a fancy shopping center of sorts. 

Have you seen a rendering of this or know where it will be located? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Have you seen a rendering of this or know where it will be located? 

I have not seen any renderings but I think they have narrowed the sight down to the land on/around the Cominty Church. I know that they are in talks with the church.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Thanks! Looks like instead of adjoining/fronting Fulton, Amway wants to move them back across Headley. 

It's kind of interesting how some board members are all gung-ho on the  "let's just trade with properties with Amway" while the DDA is looking to the future and saying, "hey, that north space could come in handy if it remains in the township's hands".  I'm feeling myself agreeing with the DDA on this one.  Amway owns enough of the town already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Talked to someone that works at Amway, and they are knocking down the original office space on the east side of the complex (they said it still looks like an episode of madmen, offices with a wetbar, etc). They are also knocking down the pressure plant behind it (I guess they started outsourcing this function). They're going use this new space to extend the green space along river as part of the whole Ada project. 

Joe

Interesting. I work there, in the building butting up to, and they haven’t mentioning anything in the company newsletters about its future use. Although it’s possible I missed it.

If anybody is interested I can get pics of the demolition.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.