Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

joeDowntown

30 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I liked the original design as well. If they were going to go the traditional route, they should have used Dixon. I’m really impressed with the buildings they’ve done so far in Ada. The brickwork on the building at Bronson and Ada Drive is quite impressive. 

Joe

Exactly.

ProgressiveAE is not known for "traditional design."  Not to say that the modern version was superb, but with a couple of tweaks would have been outstanding, and added a little diversity to the mix. 

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed. The new version looks like a Metro Health immediate care center, not the centerpiece of the community. 

"The revisions by architecture firm Progressive AE drew praise from Ada Township Trustee Robert Proos, who said he was “not real impressed with the outside” of the previously revealed designs.

“It looks like it belongs, it looks like it would fit and it looks like something that we would all be proud of,” Proos said of the revisions."

Proos has also been rumored to be a big fan of boxy apartment buildings. 

That moron Proos should be tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail.  That new design looks like a failed attempt at a “modern” church annex from the late 1970s.  Just the kind of thing a dopey white bread traditional values type of sap would love.  I was prepared to grudgingly accept that perhaps things in Ada might actually come together ok but clearly there are some still itching to screw the pooch and wreck the fabric of what is being created.  I may not have loved it, but it was consistent. This building sucks.

Edited by wingbert
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

"Ada Market - by Forest Hills Foods" 

Complete with a Starbucks, which I am sorry, worst localist ever, but I think is a great move for the village to have a Starbucks. 

https://www.shopforesthillsfoods.com/ada-market?fbclid=IwAR2kHi6EkzuC2BU38R6yKCerrgdR8bL6gDeibAXUSt-uPh_Uj0j-itIx_9w

I think that's a good fit there. I hope they up their quality though from FH Foods. The two stores are quite far apart so I don't think they risk cannabalizing themselves. 

On 2/12/2019 at 3:12 PM, GRDadof3 said:

The new library and community center has been revised. Some thought this version was "too modern."

project-01.jpg.0973a9535eab134e35d45675e

Here's the new design:

JWAKKYP5HVBONF4V2NT6OOSAJI.jpg

Whatevs

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/revised-designs-for-amy-van-andel-library-near-amway-headquarters-unveiled.html

I'm surprised by how strongly this group prefers the old design to the new one. The first looks like a generic college building, like a GVSU dorm or the GRCC preschool, except with the trend of the last couple years where black, white, and gray are the only colors that exist. The floor-to-ceiling windows are cool, though. The new design is somewhat attractive in the little corner wing closest to us, especially the big arched windows, but the rest of the building is squat and uninviting, and I don't like whatever that darkish textured material is (seen mostly to the left on the second floor).

I could honestly take or leave either one, but neither particularly offends me either. They're the textbook definition of "adequate."

Edited by getemngo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, getemngo said:

I'm surprised by how strongly this group prefers the old design to the new one. The first looks like a generic college building, like a GVSU dorm or the GRCC preschool, except with the trend of the last couple years where black, white, and gray are the only colors that exist. The floor-to-ceiling windows are cool, though. The new design is somewhat attractive in the little corner wing closest to us, especially the big arched windows, but the rest of the building is squat and uninviting, and I don't like whatever that darkish textured material is (seen mostly to the left on the second floor).

I could honestly take or leave either one, but neither particularly offends me either. They're the textbook definition of "adequate."

As I mentioned, the modern version could use a few tweeks (maybe even some dormers like Rick's house has). I think it was the Ada commissioner saying they want something they can be "proud of." Adequate to me doesn't make one proud. :) Maybe they need a design revision 3. 

Also I love the GRCC pre-school lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tSlater said:

Looking at the floor plans it doesn't seem they have very many books.. could probably just use a converted house for them all. The rest is meeting spaces, lobbies, and fluff. More like a general purpose community center with a library inside.

I don’t think that should be a shocker. Look at most university libraries being built and they are more meeting and study space than “traditional” book shelves. 

I don’t see this as a missed opportunity with this particular project. It’s the world we live in. 

Joe 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's to hoping that this model works out. I honestly don't think this will be the last use for this building (which is a cool building). 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/04/new-ada-grocery-store-to-open-sunday.html

ADA TOWNSHIP, MI — A new grocery store will open Sunday in Ada Township.

Ada Fresh Market by Forest Hills Foods, 444 Ada Dr. SE, will be open daily from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. It will feature everything from household staples to local and organic produce, fish, meats and cheeses, flowers, a salad and soup bar, and a wide selection of craft beers, wines and spirits.

• Like 2