joeDowntown

Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The new library and community center has been revised. Some thought this version was "too modern."

project-01.jpg.0973a9535eab134e35d45675e

Here's the new design:

JWAKKYP5HVBONF4V2NT6OOSAJI.jpg

Whatevs

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/revised-designs-for-amy-van-andel-library-near-amway-headquarters-unveiled.html

1970 called. It wants its bland design and pudding pop color scheme back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I liked the original design as well. If they were going to go the traditional route, they should have used Dixon. I’m really impressed with the buildings they’ve done so far in Ada. The brickwork on the building at Bronson and Ada Drive is quite impressive. 

Joe

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I liked the original design as well. If they were going to go the traditional route, they should have used Dixon. I’m really impressed with the buildings they’ve done so far in Ada. The brickwork on the building at Bronson and Ada Drive is quite impressive. 

Joe

Exactly.

ProgressiveAE is not known for "traditional design."  Not to say that the modern version was superb, but with a couple of tweaks would have been outstanding, and added a little diversity to the mix. 

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed. The new version looks like a Metro Health immediate care center, not the centerpiece of the community. 

"The revisions by architecture firm Progressive AE drew praise from Ada Township Trustee Robert Proos, who said he was “not real impressed with the outside” of the previously revealed designs.

“It looks like it belongs, it looks like it would fit and it looks like something that we would all be proud of,” Proos said of the revisions."

Proos has also been rumored to be a big fan of boxy apartment buildings. 

That moron Proos should be tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail.  That new design looks like a failed attempt at a “modern” church annex from the late 1970s.  Just the kind of thing a dopey white bread traditional values type of sap would love.  I was prepared to grudgingly accept that perhaps things in Ada might actually come together ok but clearly there are some still itching to screw the pooch and wreck the fabric of what is being created.  I may not have loved it, but it was consistent. This building sucks.

Edited by wingbert
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Actually Ricky Devos built a new house out in Ada and it looks a lot like the modern design version

2052377081_rickdevoshouse.thumb.JPG.c0ed389242616c13798d8e7ab061ae78.JPG

wow that is awesome!  has it been completed?   Do you know any details on it?  Who was the architect and builder?  

Apparently, the Forest Hills Foods nugget wasn't a huge secret (I just found it a few minutes ago..).  Their Facebook page has been up for a couple of days.  Here is a drawing of the layout.AdaMarket.thumb.jpg.20233bfdd3cede0689a63a09b4024e56.jpg

Edited by Sparty97
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

"Ada Market - by Forest Hills Foods" 

Complete with a Starbucks, which I am sorry, worst localist ever, but I think is a great move for the village to have a Starbucks. 

https://www.shopforesthillsfoods.com/ada-market?fbclid=IwAR2kHi6EkzuC2BU38R6yKCerrgdR8bL6gDeibAXUSt-uPh_Uj0j-itIx_9w

I think that's a good fit there. I hope they up their quality though from FH Foods. The two stores are quite far apart so I don't think they risk cannabalizing themselves. 

On 2/12/2019 at 3:12 PM, GRDadof3 said:

The new library and community center has been revised. Some thought this version was "too modern."

project-01.jpg.0973a9535eab134e35d45675e

Here's the new design:

JWAKKYP5HVBONF4V2NT6OOSAJI.jpg

Whatevs

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/revised-designs-for-amy-van-andel-library-near-amway-headquarters-unveiled.html

I'm surprised by how strongly this group prefers the old design to the new one. The first looks like a generic college building, like a GVSU dorm or the GRCC preschool, except with the trend of the last couple years where black, white, and gray are the only colors that exist. The floor-to-ceiling windows are cool, though. The new design is somewhat attractive in the little corner wing closest to us, especially the big arched windows, but the rest of the building is squat and uninviting, and I don't like whatever that darkish textured material is (seen mostly to the left on the second floor).

I could honestly take or leave either one, but neither particularly offends me either. They're the textbook definition of "adequate."

Edited by getemngo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, getemngo said:

I'm surprised by how strongly this group prefers the old design to the new one. The first looks like a generic college building, like a GVSU dorm or the GRCC preschool, except with the trend of the last couple years where black, white, and gray are the only colors that exist. The floor-to-ceiling windows are cool, though. The new design is somewhat attractive in the little corner wing closest to us, especially the big arched windows, but the rest of the building is squat and uninviting, and I don't like whatever that darkish textured material is (seen mostly to the left on the second floor).

I could honestly take or leave either one, but neither particularly offends me either. They're the textbook definition of "adequate."

As I mentioned, the modern version could use a few tweeks (maybe even some dormers like Rick's house has). I think it was the Ada commissioner saying they want something they can be "proud of." Adequate to me doesn't make one proud. :) Maybe they need a design revision 3. 

Also I love the GRCC pre-school lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Better views of the Ada Library:

library1.jpg

library2.jpg

library3.jpg

library4.jpg

Meh. :) I think the goal should be to make suburban communities be "less vanilla/bland." But maybe that's just me. 

• Like 3

Looks very suburban office park ish...blown opportunity to do something unique as a “public” building even if it’s just the facade

• Like 3

19 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Better views of the Ada Library:

library1.jpg

library2.jpg

library3.jpg

library4.jpg

It looks like a Spectrum Health/Holland Hospital outpatient clinic. A swing and a miss on the part of the planners. The original was far better, even if it wasn’t perfect. 

• Like 2

At the end of the day it's just Ada and most of us probably will never use this facility. "Ada's gonna Ate." :rofl:

• Like 1

Looking at the floor plans it doesn't seem they have very many books.. could probably just use a converted house for them all. The rest is meeting spaces, lobbies, and fluff. More like a general purpose community center with a library inside.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tSlater said:

Looking at the floor plans it doesn't seem they have very many books.. could probably just use a converted house for them all. The rest is meeting spaces, lobbies, and fluff. More like a general purpose community center with a library inside.

I don’t think that should be a shocker. Look at most university libraries being built and they are more meeting and study space than “traditional” book shelves. 

I don’t see this as a missed opportunity with this particular project. It’s the world we live in. 

Joe 

WOW - for a change, the actual building has better details then the rendering!  Usually, everything is value engineered out.    I like the corner window changes, and the roof/eyebrow detail changes as well.   Red windows look sharp too. 

• Like 4

Dixon architecture is doing an amazing job with the design of the buildings in Ada. I’d love to see a developer use them on a project downtown (and not value engineer the heck out of it). 

Joe