joeDowntown

Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

On 10/17/2019 at 4:22 PM, joeDowntown said:

Stop being such a curmudgeon (seriously). Your statement was wildly exaggerated, and I've talked to quite a few of these businesses that while it created a lot of stress and uncertainty, plenty would not choose to move back to their old location. Vitales is doing a booming business, Zeytin is much busier than it was in its old location (one of my faves), Heidi Christines, etc. etc.

I was simply pointing out that "most of the long standing businesses in Ada" have not been chased away.

I talked to a realtor that has had an office in Ada for years, had to move due to the landlord being greedy (one that didn't sell to Amway), and they are happier than . Upgraded their space, nicer offices (office landlords had to up their game a bit), vibrant area, new clients that point to the downtown as an additional selling point, etc.

Business isn't necessarily a friendly place. I thought the Van Andel's announcing an ice cream shop, etc. was a really lousy move, etc. But I've also heard a lot of positives from business owners.

Joe

Meh... I kinda enjoy being a curmudgeon.  We can’t all be Joey Blue Skies all the time.  Someone has to provide a bit of perspective every once in awhile.

Edited by wingbert

9 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Meh... I kinda enjoy being a curmudgeon.  We can’t all be Joey Blue Skies all the time.  Someone has to provide a bit of perspective every once in awhile.

I mean I get it.   I think realistic perspectives are always needed, especially in a room full of cheerleaders.  Though it does seem to come across as if you're simply trying to get a reaction vs. state your opinion more often than not. 

17 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I mean I get it.   I think realistic perspectives are always needed, especially in a room full of cheerleaders.  Though it does seem to come across as if you're simply trying to get a reaction vs. state your opinion more often than not. 

@wingbert is a troll. Pure and simple. Just click on his name and look at the way he responds to nearly everything. I'm sorry that I try to stay positive, especially after we had a long discussion about not wanting Urban Planet to turn into another Mlive troll fest. 

There are plenty of times I start typing a snarky comment about a project (that provides no value) and then think, IS THIS NECESSARY?! I do indeed think that certain projects, or decisions need a good bludgeoning. And I do think a lot of people on this forum do a good job posting concerns or critiques, without sounding like they think everyone is dumb, they have a a superior intellect, etc. But I think you'd be negative if you saw a thread full of cute puppies (you probably don't like puppies either). 

You obviously have an axe to grind with me.  And have for a long time. :dontknow:

Joe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

@wingbert is a troll. Pure and simple. Just click on his name and look at the way he responds to nearly everything. I'm sorry that I try to stay positive, especially after we had a long discussion about not wanting Urban Planet to turn into another Mlive troll fest. 

There are plenty of times I start typing a snarky comment about a project (that provides no value) and then think, IS THIS NECESSARY?! I do indeed think that certain projects, or decisions need a good bludgeoning. And I do think a lot of people on this forum do a good job posting concerns or critiques, without sounding like they think everyone is dumb, they have a a superior intellect, etc. But I think you'd be negative if you saw a thread full of cute puppies (you probably don't like puppies either). 

You obviously have an axe to grind with me.  And have for a long time. :dontknow:

Joe

I think you guys are good. I don't think people care that much either way about Ada. :)  

• Like 3

I think you guys are good. I don't think people care that much either way about Ada.   

I think that about sums it up. My wife and I went hiking at Seidman Park this past summer and stopped in Ada for ice cream on the way back. The newness and the all-at-once development kinda creeped me out. However, It seemed pleasant and quaint and village-ey enough, and I'm glad it's there to provide a number of small-town food and shopping attractions. I kinda just lump it in with all the other massive urban-suburban town center-type projects that are proposed or happening across the country. They all make me go, "meh."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3