Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

joeDowntown

41 minutes ago, Raildudes dad said:

Yes we did. We had a friendly RR north of town that wasn't anti passenger service.  We looked at a Sparta - Bridge St service. We proposed a quick and dirty startup to see if folks would use the service. Now that RR is owned by a "Not on our RR" company that also owns the RR to the east.  CSX doesn't want passenger w/o a lot of money which is why Holland to GR service discussion is a joke. The owner of RR to the south is supposedly receptive but NB 131 functions pretty decent in the morning as opposed to SB 131 from Rockford to downtown. You can't get folks to ride commuter rail until travel time and lack of downtown parking attract them. IMHO metro GR isn't even close to having that demand. The Silver Line would be standing room only if that was the case.

Raildudes dad, you're into the RR stuff, isn't it likely that CSX will be selling off the routes if they can through Grand Rapids in the next few years since they're losing all their money making coal hauling business with the Holland, Grand Haven, and Muskegon generating plants closed and the big Consumers Energy Port Sheldon plant scheduled to close maybe as early as 2025?  It might be an opportunity for MDOT or a smaller more open minded community private operator to take over and consider hosting some kind of commuter service along with maybe increased Amtrak frequency.  I'm sure it would have to be subsidized somehow.

Current plan is to close 2 of 3 units at Port Sheldon in 2031 and the 3rd in 2040 unless the Sierra club and other groups force earlier dates. (Don't get me going on the stupidity of going to wind and solar over burning cleaned up coal - battery banks have no environmental impacts?????)

The smallest unit is a peaker plant burning eastern coal. Last year I was told, they did not receive 1 train of eastern coal. The largest unit is base load plant for the midwest power grid, it runs full load 24/7 . The last or 3rd unit varies with the load demand, always running but is "turned up or down" depending on the power demand in the grid. They currently receive about 3 -130 car trains every 2 days or so I was told. About 19,000 tons a day.

None of the potential buyers of the CSX lines are passenger friendly. I don't see any gov't agency stepping up to buy the corridors.  Look at MDOT's high speed corridor from Detroit to Chicago - billions of $$. We can't come up with the money to fix our roads so how will MDOT come up with the monies to buy the RR corridors.

I did some review of the "Wally" since I worked some excursion trains on the TSBY - now GLC. I was very familiar with the track and territory. US 23 from I-96 to Ann Arbor was a 2, now part 3 lane  traffic nightmare.  The Wally was proposed to be a commuter from Howell to just north of AA. Couldn't get into AA due to a  hostile railroad. So it was proposed, 40 mph speed, limited stops, with handicap service on demand via small bus.  Very minimal station amenities, a trial service to see if folks would ride. U of M would provide their employees with no cost passes. There would be bus service from the south end of the line into AA to and connect with the transit system. Initial startup for 23 miles -$5-6 million.

So someone wanted a consultant to review the Wally. Their recommendation - 65 mph track - keep in mind it's 23 miles. Full 4 way gates at every road crossing, welded rail, full ADA access at every station, ADA cars etc. Start up costs -$65 million. Google the Wally and see if you can ride it today. Nope, the proposal is just that today. AA changed their focus to Detroit - AA and that hasn't gone any where either.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few update shots on the construction happening in Ada.

First up, the library is making good progress:

image.png.a2d8e95961aeb290734a33d9d60edbee.png

Second, building A2 is coming along nicely:

Just a refresher, below is the overall layout and A2's location.

image.png.4968ad871bcf051f19c13ccd252e6166.png

image.png.676519dd31059b03623af249665e256a.png

image.thumb.png.2a09611b70734def9c137201e981a025.png

Also, bids for building B5 (Luna's new restaurant) were sent out late last year, so I have a feeling there will be movement in the not so distant future on that site. 

On 3/11/2020 at 8:39 AM, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

A few update shots on the construction happening in Ada.

First up, the library is making good progress:

image.png.a2d8e95961aeb290734a33d9d60edbee.png

Second, building A2 is coming along nicely:

Just a refresher, below is the overall layout and A2's location.

image.png.4968ad871bcf051f19c13ccd252e6166.png

image.png.676519dd31059b03623af249665e256a.png

image.thumb.png.2a09611b70734def9c137201e981a025.png

Also, bids for building B5 (Luna's new restaurant) were sent out late last year, so I have a feeling there will be movement in the not so distant future on that site. 

Nice job @NoDustBusterNoMore! Much appreciated.

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, wingbert said:

Amway laying off 900, most of them at the HQ.  There go a lot of potential customers for those numerous vacant storefronts in the new downtown Ada.  That’s actually a real bummer for those poor folks as this stupid pandemic drags on.

I biked through there about a week ago. I was surprised by how many retailers have set up shop. And the community center/library appears to be finished. I'll try and get pics the next time I'm through there. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was in Ada yesterday doing some Christmas shopping and the hotel (Ada House) looks like it's starting. They had it freshly staked for the foundation. 

image.png.4968ad871bcf051f19c13ccd252e61

2MCVELV6RJFQNHVKAXXRJZYTZA.jpg

Also the Garage Bar is open and already always looks busy. Adds a nice touch to that corner. After A3 and A6 get built I think that completes the whole retail section. Then it's residential at the Eastern end? 

On 12/24/2021 at 9:08 AM, joeDowntown said:

It also looks like Luna is close to opening (I saw photos of the bar and it looked like it was in the final stages). Also saw a sign for a pharmacy next to Luna. Wonder if it’s going to be run by Spartan (being that its close to the Ada market)?

Joe

Looking forward to going to the Luna there. 

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

That's funny, pretty sure they already have foundations in the ground...

I'll try to nab a picture on my way through one of these days now that's it is light enough when I drive through after work.

3 minutes ago, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

That's funny, pretty sure they already have foundations in the ground...

I'll try to nab a picture on my way through one of these days now that's it is light enough when I drive through after work.

Yeah, I think "ground breaking" was a bit ceremonial. :) Should go up pretty fast.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

The talk about taco joints got me thinking about Luna of Ada. Does anyone have the inside scoop on why it hasn't opened yet. I walked by it the other night, and it looks 100% finished (even the computers were on and ready to go). Are they waiting on a liquor license or something else? It's been sitting ready to go for a while (the interior looks fantastic). Just wondering if anyone knew the story?

Joe

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

Ada House Hotel stair cores are currently going up:

image.thumb.png.fa1b3ab5e387aedbfbea02bc57747db8.png

This will be building A4/A5 in the below Ada town plan:

image.png.b06a06c03a4d3e510624ab5ae362fb2d.png

Also there has been fencing put up and a lot of earthwork on the townhouse/ apartment area to the east of the developments pictured above:

image.thumb.png.cfb090ce49d8cf3909b65a5d2c7dc6b9.png

Wow, hadn't seen anything about the apartments yet. They're needed in Forest Hills. 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, hadn't seen anything about the apartments yet. They're needed in Forest Hills. 

The rendering is a lot different than the original proposal. Remains to be seen if I like it, but fits in much better with the new town look than the first renderings. 

Joe

On 12/24/2021 at 8:20 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I was in Ada yesterday doing some Christmas shopping and the hotel (Ada House) looks like it's starting. They had it freshly staked for the foundation. 

image.png.4968ad871bcf051f19c13ccd252e61

2MCVELV6RJFQNHVKAXXRJZYTZA.jpg

Also the Garage Bar is open and already always looks busy. Adds a nice touch to that corner. After A3 and A6 get built I think that completes the whole retail section. Then it's residential at the Eastern end? 

I'm not sure I'd name it the "Ada House".  I remember the  Ada House in the 70's.

Walker: Do you remember the Ada House? 

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The rendering is a lot different than the original proposal. Remains to be seen if I like it, but fits in much better with the new town look than the first renderings. 

Joe

They look much more like apartments than townhouses. I'm fine with either. 

Downtown Ada was toying with doing "social zones" to allow open carry throughout downtown. Haven't heard how those public meetings went. I think it's fine and I haven't heard of any additional lawbreaking in the social zones that have been set up in GR and Rockford. 

On 3/23/2022 at 6:57 AM, GRDadof3 said:

They look much more like apartments than townhouses. I'm fine with either. 

Downtown Ada was toying with doing "social zones" to allow open carry throughout downtown. Haven't heard how those public meetings went. I think it's fine and I haven't heard of any additional lawbreaking in the social zones that have been set up in GR and Rockford. 

Is that really necessary? Beside the brewery and the new garage "bar", to my knowledge all of the few other places that serve alcohol are more dinning. Dont get me wrong I like the ideas in general for the vibrancy, and hopefully help create more of destination bar districts where people can get to bar hop and easily uber home safely. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:09 PM, GR8scott said:

Is that really necessary? Beside the brewery and the new garage "bar", to my knowledge all of the few other places that serve alcohol are more dinning. Dont get me wrong I like the ideas in general for the vibrancy, and hopefully help create more of destination bar districts where people can get to bar hop and easily uber home safely. 

I don't think any social zone is "necessary" but for special events in Ada it could add to the fun. 

I also think it becomes a competitive benefit. If Rockford and Grand Rapids have social zones, does it help restaurants compete by also having a social zone? Or help developers compete to get restaurants in buildings. Once the hotel is in and Luna opens, there will actually be enough restaurants and bars in that small area where it may be viable.

Joe 

• 1 month later...