Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

joeDowntown

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was in Ada yesterday and was surprised how quickly the hotel has gone vertical (once they fenced it off)

6E382C92-0523-4F61-8AAE-670F4437604A.jpeg

Wow!  I'm kinda surprised with Amway being right there aren't any other hotels nearby.  Do they usually just stay at the Amway Grand and get shuttled back and forth?

On 5/13/2022 at 2:06 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Wow!  I'm kinda surprised with Amway being right there aren't any other hotels nearby.  Do they usually just stay at the Amway Grand and get shuttled back and forth?

I do know many of the international visitors stay at AGP

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

You have to imagine during normal times, they have a lot of business travelers, consultants etc that call on Amway. I bet it’ll be a busy hotel. 

Joe

And if you're visiting family and friends anywhere in the Forest Hills or Lowell area, it's a way cooler alternative to 28th Street or the East Buttline. 

Mudpenny just recently opened for dinner, which gives another dining alternative. I'd really like to see Luna open. Looks ready to go, probably no staffing. 

Some updates about Ada, including the social zone apparently got passed. Drives me crazy though when public officials say they're trying to make things "family friendly."  No gay couples then? No couples period? What the hell does family friendly mean? 

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/ada-cascade/13-on-your-side-of-town-what-to-expect-in-ada-the-next-few-years/69-9816acff-ae31-468b-929c-513e93f03e52

32 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Some updates about Ada, including the social zone apparently got passed. Drives me crazy though when public officials say they're trying to make things "family friendly."  No gay couples then? No couples period? What the hell does family friendly mean? 

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/ada-cascade/13-on-your-side-of-town-what-to-expect-in-ada-the-next-few-years/69-9816acff-ae31-468b-929c-513e93f03e52

PA-REACH. 

"Family Friendly" always feels like a coded way of saying "1950s Clever Fantasy." 

What is a family, and why assume that every family has the same boundaries on what's "friendly" to their needs/desires. 

I get that adults with young children in their care likely desire amenities and attractions that differ from those of other generations and stages of living, AND, I always get a little uneasy when "family friendly" is thrown around as a way of designing a specific type of community with specific type of values. 

Here ends my own rant; thanks a lot GRDadof3 lol

• Like 1

Lol, is Ada somehow hostile to families? Isn't that pretty much a majority of the people down there?

It's cool that they;'re expanding their trail system.  (although bikers will still bike in the road:tw_grin: )

6 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

PA-REACH. 

"Family Friendly" always feels like a coded way of saying "1950s Clever Fantasy." 

What is a family, and why assume that every family has the same boundaries on what's "friendly" to their needs/desires. 

I get that adults with young children in their care likely desire amenities and attractions that differ from those of other generations and stages of living, AND, I always get a little uneasy when "family friendly" is thrown around as a way of designing a specific type of community with specific type of values. 

Here ends my own rant; thanks a lot GRDadof3 lol

Exactly. Why do they even need to stress "family friendly?" 3 x in the statements from the commissioner?  What's wrong with just a bunch of adults just out having a good time, sans kids!!

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Exactly. Why do they even need to stress "family friendly?" 3 x in the statements from the commissioner?  What's wrong with just a bunch of adults just out having a good time, sans kids!!

Maybe they're trying to say "We want Royal Oak but without the D-bags" :D

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Luna Ada is now open and the food was excellent, especially the margaritas. The downtown area was hopping last night too, and interestingly it was the first time we've had issues finding parking. Will be interesting to see once the hotel is built and their guests take up a big chunk of parking. There was probably some parking way down Headley toward Amway but we didn't go that far. Situation will probably become much like EGR (a good problem to have, limited parking availability).  Very very few people live within walking distance of the village, and obviously there's no transit or shuttle buses. 

Didn't notice anyone walking around with drinks, even with the social zone passed. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had to make a trip to Ada today and was hoping someone had info on what I saw. There used to be two houses along the river (as well as across the street) from the covered bridge. I was shocked to see both houses on both sides of the street had been demolished. I could potentially see the 2 houses along the river being removed to extend the park along the river, but not sure why they removed the houses across the street too. 

It had to be quite expensive. All four houses were nice, and I always loved this small, very old house that had to be original to the village. 

Anyone know what is going on here?

Joe

18 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I had to make a trip to Ada today and was hoping someone had info on what I saw. There used to be two houses along the river (as well as across the street) from the covered bridge. I was shocked to see both houses on both sides of the street had been demolished. I could potentially see the 2 houses along the river being removed to extend the park along the river, but not sure why they removed the houses across the street too. 

It had to be quite expensive. All four houses were nice, and I always loved this small, very old house that had to be original to the village. 

Anyone know what is going on here?

Joe

Townhomes.  More info in the Ada PC packet

1941098034_ScreenShot2023-03-16at4_13_47PM.thumb.png.61c58e5ba6a11499eaad12fa568e3540.png

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I was driving by the dam in Ada a week ago, and most of the older houses that used to make up Fase Street have been demo’s. Quite a weird sight. Anyone know what they are developing over there (I assume housing, but?)?

Joe

You mean the area across from the baseball field?

image.png.6d8243b7eb61e187d64b8f6eddea24d0.png

I believe all they did was clear out the land on the north side of Fase, and from what I recall they took out one home on the sound side of Fase. Likely another multi-family housing development.

Just found this: http://adamichigan.org/uploads/home/Development-Update-March-2022.pdf

Edited by NoDustBusterNoMore
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

You mean the area across from the baseball field?

image.png.6d8243b7eb61e187d64b8f6eddea24d0.png

I believe all they did was clear out the land on the north side of Fase, and from what I recall they took out one home on the sound side of Fase. Likely another multi-family housing development.

Just found this: http://adamichigan.org/uploads/home/Development-Update-March-2022.pdf

Could be it. Maybe it was the tree clearing that made it look so drastically different. I thought they had taken down 4-5 houses closer to the ballpark.

Joe