Village of Ada - Complete Makeover

joeDowntown

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Will they have avacado toast??!! :) This is awesome news. 

Anyone know what lot this is going on?

617909438_750x422.png

Quoting myself. From one of the articles it says it's going on a .33 acre parcel on River Street. There aren't any .33 acre parcels on River but if you combine these two, it equals .3ish acres. Which would leave the gray building in the rendering as the future building on the corner parcel, which I believe is under construction now? 

612230135_CityFlatsAdapossible.thumb.JPG.d5404c90c2853103a826feb55994e681.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Sparty97 said:

Well, that didn't last long.  Kingmas, Fish Lads, Rowsters, etc. in Ada are closing.

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/kingma-s-market-to-close-ada-store-18-months-after-opening

18 months?!?!

Good grief!

In a Monday statement, owner Alan Hartline said that the company realized its "niche … is to serve customers in a smaller, more dense and walkable area, in a scaled-down site," like the original Kingma's. But he didn't rule out other expansion stores in the future.

East Hills will welcome you.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonrapley said:

Businesses have been skeptical for sometime if downtown GR can sustain a grocery store, and have only now decided to take the risk. What made people think downtown Ada was a good idea? 

Uhhhh that was no grocery store. A "boutique food emporium" maybe?  I shopped there once and thought it was tailored to people who have a lot of dinner parties maybe? 

I think it was 2 or 3 years too early in that Ada development. Wonder what will take it over? 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Uhhhh that was no grocery store. A "boutique food emporium" maybe?  I shopped there once and thought it was tailored to people who have a lot of dinner parties maybe? 

I think it was 2 or 3 years too early in that Ada development. Wonder what will take it over? 

Sounds like there is already a potential new store there in the works. 

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think that was it. I drove around there a couple months back. It was like a ghost town due to all of the massive development going on, it seems like it would have done them well to wait until a good chunk of the building was done.

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

I think that was it. I drove around there a couple months back. It was like a ghost town due to all of the massive development going on, it seems like it would have done them well to wait until a good chunk of the building was done.

The few times I went to take pictures of the buildings going up, Kingma's lot always seemed to be full. But that building they built must have cost a fortune. You'd have to sell a lot of chocolate covered peanuts to pay for it. 

19 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The few times I went to take pictures of the buildings going up, Kingma's lot always seemed to be full. But that building they built must have cost a fortune. You'd have to sell a lot of chocolate covered peanuts to pay for it. 

Yeah I don't get their business model on that one.  The problem with these "boutiquey" type grocery stores is that they can be a bit light on the practical.  Even rich people want to walk into a store and buy cans of every day mundane crap lol.  I think Bridge St. Market has the perfect balance, Meijer nailed it.  Something like that would be perfect for that location.  I do think "Downtown" Ada can support a full time grocery store.  It's not an urban environment and there's enough parking.  It could totally pull customers from a 3-4 mile radius if it were convenient.  My parents live not too far and my mom didn't care for Kingma's because it was a bit to hoighty for her.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Total guess here.  A Whole Foods 365? Amazons’s first foothold in this market?

I could also envision Spartan gobbling the space up and building a smaller Forest Hills Foods (which would also keep Amazon out of this market- for now). 

Joe

The Whole Foods “365” concept is over. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2019/01/15/report-whole-foods-new-365-stores-in-atlanta-will.amp.html

Amazon will keep the 365 stores in the areas that they have already opened, but no new 365 stores will open in the future.

However, I do  think Whole Foods can work in Grand Rapids but not in the Ada downtown area.  They usually looks for high traffic “big box store” areas and I tend to believe the intersection of East Beltline and 28th Street makes the most sense being centrally located to their type of clientele in GR. The parking lot where Von Maur is currently being built would be great for a stand alone Whole Foods if there is enough space, in my opinion.  I truly think it would thrive. Amazon/Whole Foods would bring much needed competition and new blood to the grocer market in GR area that tends to be gobbled up between Meijer and  Spartan Stores.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EastCoaster93 said:

The Whole Foods “365” concept is over. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2019/01/15/report-whole-foods-new-365-stores-in-atlanta-will.amp.html

Amazon will keep the 365 stores in the areas that they have already opened, but no new 365 stores will open in the future.

However, I do  think Whole Foods can work in Grand Rapids but not in the Ada downtown area.  They usually looks for high traffic “big box store” areas and I tend to believe the intersection of East Beltline and 28th Street makes the most sense being centrally located to their type of clientele in GR. The parking lot where Von Maur is currently being built would be great for a stand alone Whole Foods if there is enough space, in my opinion.  I truly think it would thrive. Amazon/Whole Foods would bring much needed competition and new blood to the grocer market in GR area that tends to be gobbled up between Meijer and  Spartan Stores.

Yeah, I was just spitballing that one. As described, it's not a Trader Joe's. I would put my bets on Forest Hills Foods. They do a crazy lunch business and I think it'd work well there. Also, if anyone remembers when Starbucks was in Woody's, there was a line out the door (literally). Business dropped off significantly when they tried to do a smaller, high-end coffee shop (which interestingly, ended up becoming Lantern (the original people, counter, and machine all came from the short-lived redo).

If they did a hybrid of FHF w/ a Starbucks, I think it'd do very well.

Joe

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The new library and community center has been revised. Some thought this version was "too modern."

project-01.jpg.0973a9535eab134e35d45675e

Here's the new design:

JWAKKYP5HVBONF4V2NT6OOSAJI.jpg

Whatevs

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/revised-designs-for-amy-van-andel-library-near-amway-headquarters-unveiled.html

Hmmm, I like the original modern version better.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The new library and community center has been revised. Some thought this version was "too modern."

project-01.jpg.0973a9535eab134e35d45675e

Here's the new design:

JWAKKYP5HVBONF4V2NT6OOSAJI.jpg

Whatevs

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/revised-designs-for-amy-van-andel-library-near-amway-headquarters-unveiled.html

omg that new design is hideous.  The original is light years better

1 hour ago, jthrasher said:

omg that new design is hideous.  The original is light years better

Agreed. The new version looks like a Metro Health immediate care center, not the centerpiece of the community. 

"The revisions by architecture firm Progressive AE drew praise from Ada Township Trustee Robert Proos, who said he was “not real impressed with the outside” of the previously revealed designs.

“It looks like it belongs, it looks like it would fit and it looks like something that we would all be proud of,” Proos said of the revisions."

Proos has also been rumored to be a big fan of boxy apartment buildings. 

Actually Ricky Devos built a new house out in Ada and it looks a lot like the modern design version

2052377081_rickdevoshouse.thumb.JPG.c0ed389242616c13798d8e7ab061ae78.JPG

• Like 1