Best metro-Detroit downtowns?

ZachariahDaMan

Downriver was where most of the steel mills in the region were located. They stretched from Zug Island all the way down to Gibraltar. It made more sense to build neighborhoods around these steel mills and that's one of the reasons a lot of Downriver communities developed earlier than their northern or western counter-parts. That's also why you'll see 50's-era ranches as far south as Trenton and Gibraltar. Granted, most of the steel mills in the region have closed and as the population ages, the average household size shrinks, which leads to population loss. Population loss means less traffic. Also, you have to remember that Downriver doesn't have as much exurban sprawl as the western and northern suburbs. You basically go from 50's era suburbs to farmland in less than 1 mile. That is starting to change, though, as Brownstown TWP continues to allow massive residential projects.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
There are two "downtowns" in Dearborn. Eastborn and Westborn. Eastborn is where you'll find a lot more arabic stores as well as many of the city services. (City Hall, Police Headquarters, etc.) It's centered on Michigan Ave. and Schaefer Rd. Westborn is more "upscale" and is becoming a center of nightlife for the area. It has quite a few bars, restaurants, and nightclubs. Westborn is centered on Michigan Ave. between Oakwood Blvd and Outer Dr. I'm not sure how far east you went past Telegraph, but Westborn is only about 1 mile further.

What's the deal with downtwon farmington. I heard it's the next royal oak. They have excellent plans for 2007 and 8 alone. starting with brand new sidewalks and curbs, new lighting, new trees, and a boulevard for Grd River. The most important thing they need to do is get the rid of those power lines. Does anyone know if that's easy or even possible. Downtown areas should have no Powerlines in sight. They are more eyesores that most of detroit's abandoned buildings (ok maybe not).

Even though this is great for Farmington, I don't hear of any actual developers wanting to invest in the city (condos, lofts, restaurants). please share with me if you have any info on that. Plus, do you think city council or the residents of the city would allow this little historic downtown to because a night club/entertainment mecca like royal oak is.

Perhaps, the downtowns of the metro need to stop worrying about "becoming the next __________" and worry about becoming the best downtowns they can for their citizens. The provincial cannibalization of this region is a hindrance. BTW, I hope the proposed merging of Farmington and Famington Hills gets beyond the level of talk.

Archived