Predictions for 2013

GRDadof3

So....what do you guys think? I have mine but I'll hold them for a bit and jump in later.

I will say, things we WILL see:

) Herkimer addition well underway

) Opening of the Urban Market

) South Division and Cherry will look totally weird with a mid-rise going up

) BRT infrastructure work underway (I believe)

) New Amtrak station underway (same)

What am I missing?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So....what do you guys think? I have mine but I'll hold them for a bit and jump in later.

I will say, things we WILL see:

) Herkimer addition well underway

) Opening of the Urban Market

) South Division and Cherry will look totally weird with a mid-rise going up

) BRT infrastructure work underway (I believe)

) New Amtrak station underway (same)

What am I missing?

How about a prediction vs. reality for 2012? 

I think...

the Division/Wealthy development will score with a decent grocery store and start construction.

with Rockford moving into the Westside they will convince more business to move into the area and renovate buildings on Bridge.

something concrete will be announced for the Celebration Cinema, maybe begin construction.

another apartment complex will be announced near the Downtown Market, either new or renovated bldg.

-Another hotel will be announced either on Ionia or at Midtowne Village.

-MSU will announce plans for the Press site.

-The county will sell their riverfront site next to I-196.

-Old's Manor will remain mothballed.

-New tenant announced for the old Founders location on Monroe.

-Rockford will continue to float ideas for Morton House, maybe some demo there.

-Another brewpub will be announced for downtown, other than New Holland.

-There will be preliminary talk about plans for demo, and build out of the oldest section of Butterworth Hospital.

-Residential and commercial work on Belknap Hill.

-More plans announced for Millennium Park.

-100 Commerce will get a retail tenant.

-St. Mary's will demo more buildings for parking.

-More retail, and residential for Fairmount Square.

-Lyon Square project will finally get underway after years of delays.

-The Wild Bunch will remain the Wild Bunch.

• cwds glass tower across from the arena wont get built
  • a couple more small firms will move from the burbs to heartside
  • the pres building will be torn down for msu parking
  • modiv will expand
  • additional lights on top of Mckay tower along with others
  • comerica bank building will expand its base and panera bread will move on ground floor
  • various clean up through out the heartside.
  • small midrise apartment building render for heartside. (maybe along ionia next to hopcat)
  • road up grades

-Another hotel will be announced either on Ionia or at Midtowne Village.

-MSU will announce plans for the Press site.

-The county will sell their riverfront site next to I-196.

-Old's Manor will remain mothballed.

-New tenant announced for the old Founders location on Monroe.

-Rockford will continue to float ideas for Morton House, maybe some demo there.

-Another brewpub will be announced for downtown, other than New Holland.

-There will be preliminary talk about plans for demo, and build out of the oldest section of Butterworth Hospital.

-Residential and commercial work on Belknap Hill.

-More plans announced for Millennium Park.

-100 Commerce will get a retail tenant.

-St. Mary's will demo more buildings for parking.

-More retail, and residential for Fairmount Square.

-Lyon Square project will finally get underway after years of delays.

-The Wild Bunch will remain the Wild Bunch.

Hahahaha! There is one thing in downtown that seems to perpetually stay the same year after year, usually shows up on these lists, which actually may change this year.

Assuming the world doesn't end on Friday, I foresee a number of announcements in 2013 that no one is even really thinking about. Off the radar surprises.

Hahahaha! There is one thing in downtown that seems to perpetually stay the same year after year, usually shows up on these lists, which actually may change this year.

Assuming the world doesn't end on Friday, I foresee a number of announcements in 2013 that no one is even really thinking about. Off the radar surprises.

Are you talking about olds manor?

- Google street view will continue to show the world what GR looked like 5 - 6 years ago

- parts of the SE side will continue to suck

- Sheldon Cleaners will open more locations than McDonald's

- GRCC will run out of room ... again. But still no football.

- a few grads of Cooley actually get jobs

- Southwest Air finally starts service

- Megabus will dig deeply into Amtrak ridership

- more Jerry Ford pandering at ArtPrize

Enjoying the serious and fun ones...

Was there a 2012 thread?  I couldn't find it.  2011 was pretty much right on, though.)

Plans/renderings will be unveiled for the year-round market. Maybe even see some early prep work this year.

) Announcement of plans to redevelop one of the warehouses across the street from the new market.
) Demolition of the cell tower building and beginning of construction of the new GVSU business college. 
) New residential project announced for that area near the business school.
) Ferris State will announce that they are moving their pharmacy program to Medical Mile. Oops, already announced.
) A long-time suburban employer will move some of its staff to downtown GR, most likely design staff.
) Davenport U will open its new grad school building
) The BOB expansion will get underway.
) Property speculation and maybe even some renderings of a proposed new mixed use project in Heartside.
) New hotel project announced in a portion of an existing building (boutique hotel?)
) RHD Tire building renovations kick off

I feel like we're at the brink of even more amazing stuff - excited for the the new year - here's to new announcements, shovels and cranes!

Great lists so far!

In the coming year:

• Grand Action will float their next initiative -- street car, outdoor music venue, or baseball related. All have been discussed in the past
  • More downtown apartment projects proposed, including new-built over 10 stories tall on the parking south of the arena
  • Active discussion of a new downtown office building
  • Another hotel projects will be announced, but likely won't go anywhere
  • The movie theater project will die
  • More projects announced around Wealthy and Division/131
  • Additional redevelopment projects advance in the East Hills area
  • For the 5th consecutive year, the BOB expansion will be pushed back another year
  • A new major tenant will announce plans to move downtown

Here were some of the 2012 predictions, looks like over half came to fruition:

• Fulton and ionia propsal renderings.
  • new center city condo proposal
  • new center office tower propsal
  • new retail down ionia and monroe center
  • surface lot by plaza towers propsal
  • Beginning of construction work on the BRT stations and the new Amtrak Station
  • Plans unveiled for some kind of "entertainment" destination in Heartside South of the arena
  • A massive jump in occupancy of the 100 block of South Division (SoDiv). Unfortunately (or fortunately) it will be mainly office/flex/studio space to begin with, with a smattering of retailers.
  • Work begun on the old JA Building
  • Completion of 35 Oakes into another GRid70ish type use, with several new companies to downtown. That's my GUESS based on what has already been reported, btw.
  • Completion of phase 1 of Wealthy/Division ICCF, with several new retail tenants (basic services, fast food)
  • Solidified plans for the health sciences development in Belknap
  • Demolition of the old Press building announced, mountains of speculation of what will take its place
  • Announcement of the closing of the post office downtown, mountains of speculation of what will take its place
  • New development announced near Saint Mary's
  • New development announced for the parking lot used by Lafontsee Galleries in East Hills, facing Eastern
  • New infill on Wealthy Street. Another renovation project on Wealthy (in addition to the brewery announced earlier this year).
  • Morton House

Great lists by all!  Not a whole lot to add on my part...

-Downtown office towers will struggle for tenants, and demand for a new tower will remain low.  Small, renovated old buildings will stay a bigger draw for small businesses.  The trend will go beyond downtown, and we'll see projects popping up in Stockbridge and Creston.

-Michigan Street east of the Mile will see new projects announced, now that Donk's is open and 833 Michigan will be overhauled.

-MSU will sit on the Press properties for at least this year.

-No one will attempt a ballot measure to take any suburbs out of ITP this year.

-Trader Joe's will not enter the GR market, but a clothing retailer like H&M or Urban Outfitters will.

-Rick DeVos will have an idea.

-We'll discuss Rick's idea on this forum.

-The resurrected Kendall building will open to its new residents, and then the world will end the very next day.

Blue bridge stays blue.

Off-the-radar, unexpected developments.

Old Manor gets speculation but nothing actually happens.

Bobville delayed again.

The black-and-wood former art deco bank on Monroe Center that was renovated only a few years ago continues to lose paint and be neglected.

New apartment proposal outside the usual development areas, possibly around City Market, or hotel proposal in North Monroe or Heartside.

Speculation on a large site that isn't bound in actual plans but works well to get people talking.

I actually do think a TJs enters the GR market (cabelas, five guys, pr changs, and others in 2012) so I think we'll see some more national chains set up shop. (I'm not a big chain guy but my guilty pleasure is Panda Express and would love one),

A nice apartment/complex near GVSU will finally get started on with the Seidmen building being completed.

Expansion for the van Andes arena s announced. Bells an new holland have second homes in gr making it the beer Capitol !

A couple of guesses -

- The Derby in EGR will start come out of mothballs

- Old JA building on Division/Fulton will start renovations

- Talk of Arena expansion plus new parking ramp on south end will heat up as Grand Action finishes Downtown Market

- Midrise development announced for arena lot - may be part / adjacent to movie theater

- development on west side for GVSU student housing

- talks of Spectrum demolition of last remnants of the old building with prominent new structure to replace it

- GRID70 expansion will add 3-4 more satellite offices for corporations in the burbs - expanded air service at the airport (in addition to Southwest)

And my hope - more mixed use housing projects announced.

Joe

Speaking of predictions... didn't Birgit Klohs throw out some hint earlier this week or last that a big announcement was going to be made yesterday? What's up with that? Did I miss something in all the holiday hubbub?

Or perhaps it was just an egg nog inspired flight of fancy.

Founders' expansion.

- A major (not so mysterious) project will pop up by Founders. Mostly residential in nature.

- The lot across from the new market will get a couple of modest buildings, but there will be a proposal to pave it over for a pay parking lot.

- East Hills will continue to see major new developments. Several residential projects and dozens of homes on Eastern and between Lake Dr. and Fulton will be renovated.

Similar things will happen near the Fulton Market.

- Rapids for the Grand River will be approved.

- Wealthy St. will lag until mid-2013 when the old McDonalds site is bought and turned into a skateboard park. The corner of Wealthy and Fuller will see a new eatery for the Sandmann's site and a series of building go up on the empty lot across the street and down the street in Eastown. 

- D&G will continue to annoy me and the people around it.

-Art Prize will shift its boundaries to include the new market, E. Hills, and less of the west side. Spin off events like Design Prize, Music Prize, Fashion and Film Prize will either take place at the same time or earlier in the year. 

- DT will get a grocery, but will be modest for now.

-Martha's Vineyard will become a "micro chain" and will start by buying Clark's as their 2nd location.

- Ikea will locate out on Wilson and M45. This area and Rivertown will shift the shopping axis of GR permanently away from 28th street which will continue to degrade.

- Guiding Light Mission and Degege will move S. to Market and Wealthy or close to Franklin after they are offered nearly a million for their properties.

- Detroit will be dissolved after declaring bankruptcy leaving GR as the unofficial (no one will have to bravery to say it) largest city in Michigan.

- Holland-Muskegon-Grand Haven-Grand Rapids will form the lose beginnings of a interurban BRT system. 

Archived