Green Light Plan

brresident

This is a link in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.brgov.com/greenlight/allprojects.asp

What drives me crazy is that Perkins Road is still two lanes with open ditches past essen and that roads like Jones Creek and Lee Drive are not only too narrow, but lack sidewalks and turn lanes.

Seems like most of the improved roads will be five lanes (two in either direction with a continous center turn lane) with curb and gutter streets and sidewalks. No word if the gutters will be painted red (like Coursey Blvd past Jones Creek) or if crosswalks will be installed.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baton Rouge has ignored its roads for decades. The city has always suffered from a lack of forethought and planning as well as a complete abhorrence by its residents to pay for their roads.

After living in Baton Rouge for 5 years pre-Katrina, and now being in a city/state that adequately funds its roads, I find it hard to believe Baton Rouge let things get as bad as they did before Katrina. :angry:

Even this Green Light Plan will barely get roads up to current demand, much less meet future needs.

I dont know if connect picardy with 1 10 right at that spot is a good idea.

i mean in a way it seems like it would free up track an allow new outlets for traffic in that area, but just think of all the new traffic coming into the area because of the ROWE, then imagine all the people leaving the mall and coming out on perkins, next to perkins rowe, instead of goin bacak out the way the came

I dont know if connect picardy with 1 10 right at that spot is a good idea.

i mean in a way it seems like it would free up track an allow new outlets for traffic in that area, but just think of all the new traffic coming into the area because of the ROWE, then imagine all the people leaving the mall and coming out on perkins, next to perkins rowe, instead of goin bacak out the way the came

I don't want yet another traffic light on that strech of Perkins.

There is no residential development that that is so big that it requires a traffic light...at least not one that will fit on any Perkins tract. Willow grove should only have one- the existing Oakdale signal. Perkins Rowe has added one on Bluebonnet (at least they lined it up with the development across the street), and will ad another on Perkins and yet another on Perkins with the Picardy connector.

There is one on wimbledon because of that school (I say remove that one b/c they refused to connect to Perkins Rowe or Willow Grove, then there is another at YMCA plaza. This is barely a 3/4 mile stretch.

and what is the business with Boone drive, Hyacinth, and Oak Hills Parkway....they are a trick...they don't go through. I think they should link some of that up if they can.

Thanks brresident for starting this new thread and welcome to UP; nice to have you here.

The Green Light Plan has been mentioned here; is the largest set of road projects to ever pass in BR. I am encouraged and feel this is a big step in the right direction. Yall are right, BR main problem is it lacks connectivity big time. Connecting Coursey Blvd. w/ Bluebonnet was long overdue. Oak Villa now connects Florida Blvd. with Joor Rd./Central. The Central Thruway has also begun and will help on the eastern-side of EBR. Pecue Lane will connect with Stumberg Ln. But more needs to be done.

The residents of Lee Drive did not want their road widen in the residential area (north of LHS); however South of Bayou Duplantier Lee Drive should be 3-laned (w/continuous turn lane) down to Highland. It's crazy the traffic coming from College/Corporate thru Lee Drive going to LSU; the poor residents of the St.James retirement community have a hard time around there too.

Baton Rouge is an over-grown country town now becoming a legit mid-sized city that's "landlocked". Only "two-ways" out the city top the West b/c of the Mighty Mississippi River. IMO the new Audobon Bridge New Roads/St.Francisville will do little to curb traffic in BR. To the East there are "two"is I-12 and Hwy. 190 leading to sprawling Livingston Parish. To the South is the large Spanish Lake/Alligator Bayou/Bluff Swamp preserve. So BR is nearly an island of traffic.

More than a northern by-pass is needed. A complete "Beltway" to continue thru Livingston down to Gonzales(maybe a toll-hwy.?) Then back across the Sunshine Bridge paralleling Hwy. 1 along the industrial corridor to Hwy.415 in Westport. That would be the best thing!

Baton Rouge has ignored its roads for decades. The city has always suffered from a lack of forethought and planning as well as a complete abhorrence by its residents to pay for their roads.

After living in Baton Rouge for 5 years pre-Katrina, and now being in a city/state that adequately funds its roads, I find it hard to believe Baton Rouge let things get as bad as they did before Katrina. :angry:

That has really been my only gripe with Baton Rouge since moving here a few years ago--poorly planned/maintained roads and general lack of sidewalks. Now BR's on its way to becoming a big city and these issues are finally being addressed by city officials/planners. But to be honest learning my way around BR [especially east of College Ave] has been pretty tedious. And I would love to see more sidewalks in the Lakeshore area, University Gardens, Southdowns, and Garden District. These are beautiful, dense neighborhoods w/ enviable homes and convenient locations. If only joggers and dog-walkers didn't have to veer off into someone's yard everytime I drive past them on the way home.

CSRS-Green Light Plan, you can get more info on the Green Light Plan and view aerial photos with an overlay of the proposed roads.

corey

Wow. they are moving along. Already about to break ground on the Burbank widening.

I didn't know they were already expropriating right of way for so many projects. That plan wasn't voted in but a year and a half ago. Holden probably knows that he has to get these things started before re-election. Good move.

Info on I-410, the proposed northern loop:

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-410_la.html

unfortunately, even if construction started next year, it would still not open until 2020.

Info on the new Audubon Bridge can be found here.

http://www.timedla.com/bridge/audubon/

I think yet another bridge is needed over the Mississippi River in the Gardere/Bluebonnet area over to Brusly/Plaquimine...but not a freeway bridge...just your basic 4 laner with walking paths.

• 1 month later...

:o:rofl::whistling:

Thanks for posting this.

You sure are right! Somthing needs to be done about that RR Crossing; that's actually supposed to be fixed-one day.

An 18-wheeler got stuck there before.

I got stuck there with my 22' cattle trailer and GMC Duramax.- set her 4low and with all six wheels spinning and she still wouldn't budge.

I am sure a limo or school bus would have trouble, much less an 18 wheeler.

• 1 month later...

http://www.dotd.louisiana.gov/administrati...ojects/perkins/

The Perkins Road Widening project is 3 miles in length, from Essen to Siegen Lane. Currently, this section of Perkins Road serves nearly 25,000 vehicles per day.

The finished roadway will be 5 lanes with curbs and gutters. There will be 2 through lanes in each direction and a center turn-lane with an additional turn lane added at the intersection of Perkins and Bluebonnet Boulevard. There will be a 6-foot wide sidewalk and subsurface drainage on each side of the roadway. It will be similar to the existing Perkins Road west of Essen Lane traveling toward College Dr.

All existing signal equipment will be upgraded with the latest in signal technology. This new technology will include mast arm signal supports, light emitting diode (LED) signals for low energy consumption and longer life, and video traffic detection cameras.

The project development is a joint effort between DOTD, the City of Baton Rouge, and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).

existing:

perkins_2.jpg

going to look something like this:

perkins_1.jpg

^^^someone needs to call Skyring and ask for some street sweepers for few days. That road is pretty dirty, and the gutters are overgrown to the point where it will probably affect drainage.

Thanks for posting the pics. The 5-lane stretch of Perkins is really nice. This stretch is badly needed and should have been done 5-10 years ago.

The bottom pic on the left is known as "Ford's pasture"; 120-180? acre(forgot exactly) will be developed by the same people that did CitiPlace and doing Perkins Rowe. Southdowns branch library will be there with TND village. Perkins Road is one hot corridor with recent/new/future developments.

The bottom pic on the left is known as "Ford's pasture"; 120-180? acre(forgot exactly) will be developed by the same people that did CitiPlace and doing Perkins Rowe. Southdowns branch library will be there with TND village. Perkins Road is one hot corridor with recent/new/future developments.

Yeah, the Ford property started (on the left) about where that yellow Jeep is on Perkins, sort of where the curb gets all overgrown, all the way back toward Southdowns.

I am curious to see a site plan- I hope they utilize the concord estates traffic signal instead of making a new stop on Perkins.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This was question in "Ask the Advocate" this morning. I always wondered why Picardy was a dead-end from the Bluebonnet side and the Essen side?? Why they did not "connect" in the first place??

Q: When Is Picardy Avenue supposed to be connected from Essen Lane to Bluebonnet Boulevard?

A: This project is fully funded, and the engineering design is complete, Department of Public Works Director Peter Newkirk said.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully the Perkins-Picardy connector will start in about two years??? After the Perkins Road 5-laned widening is completed in that area. There is ALOT of variables to this connector road....wonder what they might name it??

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2007/au...ng-green-light/

City-parish officials are negotiating rights of way for the planned $40.2 million connector between Picardy Avenue and Perkins Road, a Green Light Plan project aimed at relieving traffic in one of Baton Rouge

Projects to ease I-12 traffic??? :huh: These improvements may help for Sherwood Forest Blvd. and Millerville Road but I don't see how it helps ease traffic on I-12??

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/9241216.html

From Millerville to Sherwood is actually 2 miles apart.

You echoed my opinion, Richy.... I have no idea how they figure this will ease I-12 traffic.

Archived