Green Light Plan

brresident

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Comite Drive project completed

Getting the green light: Mayor Kip Holden will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Comite Drive project at 10 a.m. Thursday in front of Rite Aid in the Brookwood Village Shopping Center, 12308 Plank Road. The ceremony marks the 22nd completed roadway construction project for the Green Light Plan. With a total construction cost of $11.8 million, the completed Comite Drive project widens the previous two-lane open ditch roadway and provides a two-lane, curb-and-gutter roadway with a continuous center turn lane from Plank Road to the Comite River. The project includes sidewalks on both sides of the Comite Drive, a widened six-foot shoulder for enhanced bicycle access along the roadway, and the installation of a new public sanitary sewer system to address current and future capacity needs for the area.

Businessreport.com

• 4 weeks later...

So will Old Hammond Hwy be widened btwn Millerville/O'Neal before the stretch west of Millerville to Blvd DeProvence?? I talked to council-man Mike Walker asking him WHY South Harrel's Ferry Rd before the rest of Old Hammond and he said "bec it was a state hwy and funds were not made available"

"Panel supports sale of road bonds"

The city-parish is preparing to go out for its third and final bond sale for $38 million to continue funding road projects included in the Green Light Plan.

On Wednesday, the Metro Council’s Finance and Executive committee recommended approval of the authorization of the 18-year bonds with the proceeds going toward 15 road projects in East Baton Rouge Parish. Bonds issued for the Green Light Plan will be paid off with revenues from a voter-approved half-cent sales tax dedicated to road improvements.

Public Works Director William Daniel said the additional bond sale will allow nearly all of the 35 projects included in the plan to be brought up to shovel-ready status. However, some projects will require federal money to finish or they will be completed on a pay-as-you go basis from the sales tax revenues, Daniel said. The full council will vote on whether to approve the sale Wednesday.The previous bond sales were worth $125 million and $110 million.

Four projects will be completed with the infusion of additional bond proceeds:

 Stumberg Lane, between the Woman’s Hospital entrance and Jefferson Highway.

 Fairchild-Badley Road, from Scenic Highway to Veterans Boulevard.

 Nicholson Drive, at the Lee/Brightside Lane Extension.

 Old Hammond Highway, from Millerville Road to O’Neal Lane

http://theadvocate.com/news/1514217-123/panel-supports-sale-of-road.html

• 3 months later...

The Pecue re-alignment/extension at Airline Hwy near the new Women's Hospital is coming along...will make a needed connection with Stumberg Lane at Jefferson Hwy.

The newly completed stretch of O'neal Lane north of I-12 is nice! The construction going on south of I-12 is a big mess...Long overdue!

Hopefully in a few medium/high density developments. A repeat of Bluebonnet isn't what I want.

Assisted living communities near hospitals are a given. It would be nice though if the areas were zoned separately for redisental and office as separate but that would be too convient and too much sense. Give it a few years and it'll be a jumbled and mangled mess.

Talk of a possible TND...or a big box had came up years ago. Maybe keeping 9-holes of the golf course or leaving the land undeveloped...they have plenty of options. Will be interesting to watch unfold! Medical offices and assisted living facilty also in the mix.

• 1 month later...

Staring Lane, between Highland Road and Kingcrest Parkway, will reopen to traffic beginning at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The road was closed for three weeks so crews could install and test a new sewer pipeline as part of a Green Light Plan project to widen the roadway.

Mayor-President Kip Holden thanked the public for its continuing patience through the construction period. “Many people came together to complete the necessary work during this closure,” Holden said in a statement. “Work that involved a set of complex tasks made possible by the team’s coordinated approach to getting this work done, allowing us to continue to move toward the overall completion of this project.”

Staring Lane is schedule to be completed by fall 2013, Green Light Plan officials said

http://theadvocate.com/news/2720975-123/staring-lane-slated-to-reopen

• 2 months later...

Connector is in Green Light Plan. Should be started within 4 or 5 years at the latest.

Depends on the city's available bond capacity....but the goal was "30 years worth of projects in 10 years" back in 2006.

Other than Nicholson and Old Hammond, what large projects are left? O'Neal?

Staring is wrapping up this year. Burbank and Siegen are finished. Highland is finished. Central Thruway will be done soon. Harrell's Ferry is mostly complete.

Wanted to get this thread started again...nice topic! Cajun reminds us Green Light Plan is coming to fruition w/ only a few obstacles left remaining....tried to copy/paste your replies too Antrell.

Anxious to drive the wide-open the long awaited massive Central Thruway is gonna open things up on the eastern-edge of EBR...a Central-Shenandoah Connector if you will...Central's all important direct link to I-12.

South-side of Siegen Lane w/ medians is nice...

Pecue-Stumberg Extension nearly complete

The next phase of Old Hammond Hwy cannot come quick enough...the state & parish wrestled with this for years...the main atery between the only two ways out in eastern BR (I-12 & Hwy 190)This has way more imprtance than a dead-end So.Harrel's Ferry & Tiger Bend Rd....when there is a wreck on the I-12 Amite River Bridge...forget about it!

Have not been down the new stretch of Staring yet...

Looking forward to the Perkins Picardy connector...hopefully can take some pressure off Bluebonnet Blvd.

I still can't believe that 15 years ago, Bluebonnet didn't connect with Coursey, and Siegen/Sherwood dog legged with Airline.

It took less than a decade for those connections to be completely congested. I can't imagine how bad it would be without it.

I'd like to see a Stumberg/Millerville connection, a wider Airline highway, a South Mall Drive/Pecue lane connector, and a Nicholson/Staring connector.

Wouldn't hurt to widen Lee drive either.

There's probably a dozen similar connections that could be made in Ascension.

I still can't believe that 15 years ago, Bluebonnet didn't connect with Coursey, and Siegen/Sherwood dog legged with Airline.

It took less than a decade for those connections to be completely congested. I can't imagine how bad it would be without it.

I'd like to see a Stumberg/Millerville connection, a wider Airline highway, a South Mall Drive/Pecue lane connector, and a Nicholson/Staring connector.

Wouldn't hurt to widen Lee drive either.

There's probably a dozen similar connections that could be made in Ascension.

Stumberg or Millerville extension would have to run through a multitude of subdivisions, but it would be well worth the fight. It's too hard to travel between I-12 and I-10 in the eastern part of the parish.

I would include Kenilworth in the extension to Nicholson as well.

As far as Ascension surface roads, Parker Rd, Post Office Rd, and Henry Rd could be extended into Airline Hwy at least. An exit for Cornerview in I-10.

I would suggest more but too many subdivisions in the way.

Have long wanted to see a Stumberg Lane extension to Millerville Road....main problem is the Episcopal School campus...that's why I doubt this will ever happen. Now with redesign of Forest Park makes even more doubtful....

Yeah can remember the Sherwood Forest/Siegen dog-leg(is that what they call it? lol)...on Airline Hwy...talk about a nightmare for traffic today...BR was the epitome of no connectivity...remember when Siegen was only 2-lanes?? Now it looks like a airport runway!

And it is hard to imagine Coursey Blvd & Bluebonnet not connecting...and the new stretch of road is so short too! You had to get off Airline Hwy on to a very narrow Arnold Lane with deep ditches just to hit Jefferson Hwy...WOW!

Imagine when Corporate Blvd & Old Hammond Hwy did not connect!

Oak Villa to Joor Road is a nice extension! The new development(forgot name) is impressive at the corner of Choctaw Ave.

No kiddin....silly Lee Drive does not even have turn lanes for Hyacinyth!

Airline highway should be a freeway. The other day I spent over 30 minutes on a stretch of road that should take no more than 5 minutes. There is just too much traffic on that road to have red lights. it's insane.

Archived