Green Light Plan

brresident

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burbank set to open today!

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/42171762.html

I think that project is the first one in history to be completed early, and to my knowledge, on or under budget!

They did the I-10/I-12 interchange in the 1990s way ahead of schedule. They got a six figure bonus for every day ahead of schedule they finished, and it was something like 4 or 5 months.

Good contractors, good weather, and a recession that has everyone remembering the value of a hard days work is to thank for this.

• 1 month later...

Foster at Government intersection work begins

A groundbreaking will be Thursday for improvements to the Foster Drive and Government Street intersection, the 15th Green Light Plan road project to start construction. The project includes a new left-turn lane from Government onto Foster and an additional left-turn lane for southbound Foster onto eastbound Government, at a cost of almost $8.68 million; the project is scheduled for completion by the end of October.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...09/may/27/1000/

• 4 weeks later...

The work on the lights downtown is really progressing. The new lights are up and running on every street except Convention, North Blvd and South Blvd. Not sure what the hold up is with South Blvd. I want to say that was the first street they started working on.

Can't wait to see the new street signs!

• 1 month later...

All lanes are open at the Gov't and N Foster intersection. They really need to synchronize all the lights on Gov't and possibly remove a few while they're at it.

You can say that again....sync all the lights in the parish. There's too many of them, and it's impossible to move around without using the freeway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The steep grade over the R.R. tracks will finally be fixed! Brightside is one area that contnues to have an increase in housing...

Groundbreaking set for Brightside Green Light project

A groundbreaking is set for 10 a.m. Thursday for the city-parish's 18th Green Light project, which will add a turning lane to Brightside Drive. The $7.1 million project will also add bike paths and sidewalks to a section of Brightside between River Road and Nicholson Drive. The work should be completed by June.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

The steep grade over the R.R. tracks will finally be fixed! Brightside is one area that contnues to have an increase in housing...

Groundbreaking set for Brightside Green Light project

A groundbreaking is set for 10 a.m. Thursday for the city-parish's 18th Green Light project, which will add a turning lane to Brightside Drive. The $7.1 million project will also add bike paths and sidewalks to a section of Brightside between River Road and Nicholson Drive. The work should be completed by June.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Good find...and I'll be very impressed if they can finish by June. Hopefully we don't have any hurricanes this year to stall it.

This area needs better sidewalks. I used to jog there when I went to school at LSU back in ancient history...the bike path is right up alongside the road. Cars literally fly by within a few feet from you.

They really need to do more than add a turning lane. I have to say this is the first green light project I'm disappointed in. Have you seen how traffic backs up at Nicholson?! It's not the worst intersection in Baton Rouge, but they should at least 5-lane it for 100 yards past the Nicholson light. In fact, I thought the original plans called for 5 lanes to Alvin Dark??

They really need to do more than add a turning lane. I have to say this is the first green light project I'm disappointed in. Have you seen how traffic backs up at Nicholson?! It's not the worst intersection in Baton Rouge, but they should at least 5-lane it for 100 yards past the Nicholson light. In fact, I thought the original plans called for 5 lanes to Alvin Dark??

I agree. This intersection was bad 6 years ago.

I believe the Nicholson Intersection is it's own Green Light Project that's going to include additional thru-lanes and one additional left turn lane from brightside onto northbound Nicholson, but I'm not 100% sure. More importantly, they are going to change the grade of the intersection so cars can move through it faster without catching air!

I just looked at the plans for the intersection and I feel a lot better. I figured they knew what they were doing. It's going to be a nightmare driving around this area the next few years. It looks like Brightside, the Brightside/Nicholson intersection, and Nicholson are all going to happen back to back and in that order.

Good find...and I'll be very impressed if they can finish by June. Hopefully we don't have any hurricanes this year to stall it.

This area needs better sidewalks. I used to jog there when I went to school at LSU back in ancient history...the bike path is right up alongside the road. Cars literally fly by within a few feet from you.

I was in Jamaica last week, trust me, we have nothing on them :P.

^No kiddin' dude...I have been to Jamiaca too! Drove in a shuttle along the north-shore from Montego Bay to Dunn's River Falls....not only does the wide two-lane road easily become 3-lanes with enough passing to make your nearly dukie :o in your pants; to see how tightly packed the village/houses are right up along the road...seems like the doors opening would get ripped-off the hinges; people too close for comfort to the cars...not to mention goats crossing the road.

^No kiddin' dude...I have been to Jamiaca too! Drove in a shuttle along the north-shore from Montego Bay to Dunn's River Falls....not only does the wide two-lane road easily become 3-lanes with enough passing to make your nearly dukie :o in your pants; to see how tightly packed the village/houses are right up along the road...seems like the doors opening would get ripped-off the hinges; people too close for comfort to the cars...not to mention goats crossing the road.

That's exactly what I did, Montego Bay to Dunn's River Falls.. Quite and experience. I wasn't expecting them to drive on the left side of the road, so when the guy started driving on the left side of the road, at first the entire bus gasped haha.

Bluebonnet / Perkins intersection is coming along nicely. I don't have any pictures but you drive on the "new side" of the road now.. It seems as if it is on schedule to be finished, I think in October or November.. My only question is, does anyone know when the bridge will open up just up the street on Perkins.. It'll be nice to have that completely 5-laned out to Siegen.

Yes there is.

http://greenlight.csrsonline.com/projects/...sp?SiteCode=02Q

This project will add two additional through lanes, sidewalks, and a raised median to South Harrell's Ferry Road from south Sherwood Forest Boulevard to Millerville Road. The project will require two bridges (one east bound lane bridge and one west bound lane bridge) crossing Jones Creek. This project will extend the improvements on South Harrell's Ferry Road (east of Millerville Road) and the expanded Millerville roadway (from Old Hammond Hwy. to S. Harrell's Ferry Road). When combined with other projects in the Plan, it will provide an improved east-west connection in this area.

Interesting to see how all the phases are being done in chunks..... instead of starting to widen So Harrel's Ferry Rd at the begining(at Sherwwod Forest Blvd) and working their way east; instead they start between Millerville Rd & O'Neal Ln 1st....that will work good with that 1 mile stretch for the North/South traffic traveling Millerville to Jones Creek Rd(soon to be boulevard)

SE BR area has grown so much over the years...and those roads are 1950's style; narrow with no shoulders and keep ditches along the side; no margin for error when driving!

Still wondering when the Millerville Rd widening begins "south" of I-12??? to So Harrel's Ferry Rd?? ; the 5-lane s north of I-12is NICE!! though it's lumpy according to my Dad, who overlays roads; you can land an airplane on IT!

• 1 month later...

Never understood WHY Picardy did not connect Essen & Bluebonnet in the first place.....this small stretch of new road should really relieve some clogged up roads in the area!

Picardy Green Light work complete

City-parish officials will mark the completion of the Picardy Avenue Extension at 10:45 a.m. Thursday, the eighth Green Light project to be finished. The Picardy project, which connected existing segments off Bluebonnet Boulevard and Essen Lane, was finished a month ahead of schedule. Work on the $2.4 million project started in February

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2009/nov/18/1325/

Never understood WHY Picardy did not connect Essen & Bluebonnet in the first place.....this small stretch of new road should really relieve some clogged up roads in the area!

Picardy Green Light work complete

City-parish officials will mark the completion of the Picardy Avenue Extension at 10:45 a.m. Thursday, the eighth Green Light project to be finished. The Picardy project, which connected existing segments off Bluebonnet Boulevard and Essen Lane, was finished a month ahead of schedule. Work on the $2.4 million project started in February

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2009/nov/18/1325/

Man... Talk about a no brainer. This should have been done 20 years ago.

:dunno:

I think what Buckett is saying is that he'd rather see amusement parks funded by the city while public streets should clearly be built with private dollars.....At least that is what I think he's implying.

It's about time they get this road opened.

I'd say this delay is what we get with low taxes and homestead exemption :) Commercial growth and difficulty keeping up with the infrastructure.

Archived