My Purposeless Rant For Today

spenser1058

Sentinel headline today: "Brevard Community College to become Eastern Florida State College "

Excuse me, what in the heck is "Eastern Florida?" Since the Spanish first colonized what is now Florida in the 16th century, we've had EAST Florida and West Florida (there is even some precedent for Middle Florida in the area around Tallahassee.) But never, as we celebrate the 500th anniversary of Juan Ponce de Leon's landing (wherever it was - Melbourne or Ponte Vedra, but I digress), has there ever been a reference to "EASTERN Florida."

Did a bunch of Yankees with no ties to the area take over the BCC board and decide to just abandon the area's traditions? Not to mention the fact that such a generic definition tells you nothing about where along the 350+ mile coastline this college is located. Space Coast State College would have given it some cachet and zeroed in on the area; Brevard College, while a bit limiting (and dull), would have been acceptable at minimum.

Maybe nomenclature simply doesn't matter to some folks, but I really believe they could have done better. Not to mention that, as educators, they have a responsibility to instruct on these things, not just to make it up as they go along like FOX News or something.

In the greater scheme of the universe, I know this is trivial, but good heavens, this is simply unacceptable.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Brevard College" would've been about the best choice they had available. Maybe "East Central Florida College". Something like that. I was wondering when they were going to follow the rest of the former community colleges & change over to the "state college" label. Unfortunately "Brevard State College" just doesn't sound right.

"Brevard College" would've been about the best choice they had available. Maybe "East Central Florida College". Something like that. I was wondering when they were going to follow the rest of the former community colleges & change over to the "state college" label. Unfortunately "Brevard State College" just doesn't sound right.

I quite liked the "Space Coast State College" name from the OP. 

I totally hear you.  For some reason, missed branding opportunities really irk me, too.  I could go on and on about UCF abandoning the Citronaut for Knightro or Uptown's name being changed randomly...

Not to mention the original renaming of UCF from Florida Tech...

Sentinel headline today: "Brevard Community College to become Eastern Florida State College "

Excuse me, what in the heck is "Eastern Florida?" Since the Spanish first colonized what is now Florida in the 16th century, we've had EAST Florida and West Florida (there is even some precedent for Middle Florida in the area around Tallahassee.) But never, as we celebrate the 500th anniversary of Juan Ponce de Leon's landing (wherever it was - Melbourne or Ponte Vedra, but I digress), has there ever been a reference to "EASTERN Florida."

Did a bunch of Yankees with no ties to the area take over the BCC board and decide to just abandon the area's traditions? Not to mention the fact that such a generic definition tells you nothing about where along the 350+ mile coastline this college is located. Space Coast State College would have given it some cachet and zeroed in on the area; Brevard College, while a bit limiting (and dull), would have been acceptable at minimum.

Maybe nomenclature simply doesn't matter to some folks, but I really believe they could have done better. Not to mention that, as educators, they have a responsibility to instruct on these things, not just to make it up as they go along like FOX News or something.

In the greater scheme of the universe, I know this is trivial, but good heavens, this is simply unacceptable.

Eastern Florida State sounds like what you would name a prison.

I quite liked the "Space Coast State College" name from the OP. 

Not to mention the original renaming of UCF from Florida Tech...

There were some interesting ideas floating around when FTU was renamed. My two favorites were the University of Florida at Orlando (UFO) and Florida University at Cape Kennedy (I'll leave you to your own imagination.)

There were some interesting ideas floating around when FTU was renamed. My two favorites were the University of Florida at Orlando (UFO) and Florida University at Cape Kennedy (I'll leave you to your own imagination.)

lol, haven't heard the second one before, I do like how the "at [location]" are completely different areas to make the acronyms work lol

Archived