Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

NEED YOUR HELP! I don't know the name of the place, but I'm sure some of you do. It is a mostly take-out/catering sort of operation, though I'm told there are a few table for dining in. A brave young woman took a chance and opened in a somewhat edgy area in an oddly shaped building on an irregular lot at Leigh street and Jefferson Avenue. I believe it abuts a section of the East End called Union Hill. Apparently, it's been a great success and has regular customers in the gentrifying district and frequent customers from all over town. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ITS NAME?

FLASH!!!

Ha ha! Thanks to Deveron Timberlake's Side Dish column in today's Style, the name of this cool spot is JUMPIN' Js JAVA at 24th and Jefferson Avenue straddling Church and Union Hills. Now, entertainment is offered at Sunday brunch and on Thursday evenings outside from about 6 to 8PM. :lol:

Deveron also reports that CAN CAN will soon have accordion-style windows opening onto the Carytown scene, weather permitting.

Also, HILL CAFE at 27th (or is it 28th) and Broad and EMILIO'S at Meadow and Broad have completed renovations.

Also, MARTINI KITCHEN AND BUBBLE BAR, formerly in the John Marshall Hotel, will open soon at the Old Main Street Beer Company at Meadow and Main. It's the only Fan place I know of with plenty of parking.

By the way, what is a "Bubble" bar? Do they specialize in bubbly wines? And Brent once referred to Bubble Tea! What the Hell is that?!!

And about EMILIO's. A couple of years ago when it was known as something with PACIFIC in its name, they had terrific (and I MEAN terrific) improvisational jazz on week-ends. Hope EMILIO's is keeping up that tradition along with its tapas and Spanish cuisine.

Edited by burt

A New Orleans style cajun place is opening in the Bottom where Awful Arthur formerly held sway. It's at 18th and Franklin and is called JACQUEOMO'S (boy, that's a run of interior vowels!) They're waiting for their liquor license and, apparently will offer blues and jazz along with Louisiana cuisine in a very trendy and colorful setting. (proudly cut and pasted from page 1 of this thread :rofl: )

HaHa. I dare you to try pronouncing this name, coupe! :lol:

Maybe it has already opened. Does anyone know?

Hmmm. After some cogitation, I believe it is pronounced JOCK - MOEs. What say you? :)

Edited by burt

A New Orleans style cajun place is opening in the Bottom where Awful Arthur formerly held sway. It's at 18th and Franklin and is called JACQUEOMO'S (boy, that's a run of interior vowels!) They're waiting for their liquor license and, apparently will offer blues and jazz along with Louisiana cuisine in a very trendy and colorful setting.  (proudly cut and pasted from page 1 of this thread :rofl: )

HaHa.  I dare you to try pronouncing this name, coupe! :lol:

Maybe it has already opened.  Does anyone know?

Hmmm.  After some cogitation, I believe it is pronounced JOCK - MOEs.  What say you?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Spanish, you would pronounce it "hack-kay-o-moes", but I believe it would be pronounced in French since it will be a New Orleans place...In French, it might be "shzock-o-moes"? Who knows, my French is horrible. :)

ATTENTION ALL BOTTOM AFICIONADOS!!!

The long-awaited reopening of BOTTOMS-UP PIZZA will occur on Tuesday, August 9th. A "soft" opening for old friends and family will be held Monday the 8th.

This good-news report is brought to us by Beas who, I hope, will visit this site often.

:)

Hey if I dreamed of a few new restaurants in Downtown Richmond heres my top 3

ESPN Zone

Hard Rock Cafe

Unos Chicago Grill & Pizza

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joey, if Shockoe Bottom gets developed, I'll betcha one of your favorites will open there! :)

Edited by burt

But wrldcoupe you got to remember Unos serves more than Just Pizza they serve Steak Salads Chicken Pizza and all sorts of different stuff. Now does Bottoms Up sell all that stuff maybe the Salad and Pizza. But the rest Unos would do really well and I must say the Steak they have is very delicious. But yea I think all three of these will be here one day but ESPN Zone Might have to wait a little while there only in some of the biggest and the most busiest.

There's a great story in today's A&E (Flair) section of the RTD about - well, I don't know how to describe it - but a DJ talks about a burgeoning new residential, music and club scene downtown. The story is not strictly about restaurants, but the title of this thread IS "Restaurants/Bars/Clubs"!!

Check out this interesting article. (Wish I knew how to "link" it). :)

Edited by burt

According to Downtown Dave on Richmond City Watch, a new restaurant at 27 W. Broad in a former furniture store will be called WINDOWS 27. It's at the S/E corner of Adams and Broad and is expected to open in October.

:whistling: Whew! I had to do some backtracking on this reporting, but thanks to Downtown Dave, I think I've got it right.

Edited by burt

In addition to the elegant 1 NORTH BELMONT restaurant in the Museum District, there are other notables:

BANDITO'S BURRITO LOUNGE - this hopping place used to be at Cary and Pine streets in the middle of VCU. It moved uptown, in more ways than one, a couple of years ago to its present location 2905 Patterson Avenue.

THE CORNER CAFE - at 800 N. Cleveland street, this is truly a neighborhood corner bar, but with considerably better cuisine than you might expect.

CALIENTE - at 2922 Park Avenue was quite the spicey hot spot when it opened under its present name. Rumor has it that the firey food has tempered a bit and there are more menu offerings than in the past.

CHIOCCA'S DOWNSTAIRS - Probably the oldest restaurant in the district. Great for a deli sandwich and a cold one. Corner of Patterson and Belmont.

ZEUS GALLERY CAFE - Small, intimate and noisy, but good - VERY good - at 201 N. Belmont.

Edited by burt

Chef Tony Capece, formerly with Amici and more recently La Grotta, will be in the kitchen of the new restaurant at Adams and Broad.  Its name has not yet been announced, but I sort of doubt it will be POPKIN'S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid I've got my Popkins and Kormans confused. Korman furniture is (was) the name of the building at Adams and Broad while Popkins is (was) at Jefferrson and Broad.

But according to a source at COMFORT, restaurants are supposed to open in BOTH buildings, tho no further infiormation is forthcoming. :rolleyes:

So, no go on Bottom's Up tonight.  Still waiting on some inspections.  They said maybe tommorrow or Thursday, but definately by the weekend.

On better news, I was able to score a piece of Meat Master :-)

-B

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep us posted on BOTTOMS UP opening, Beas.

Is Meat Master anybody we know? :lol:

Keep us posted on BOTTOMS UP opening, Beas.

Is Meat Master anybody we know? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha..yea, should've proof read that one eh?

It is now open. Not many were there tonight b/c they had been telling people no all day on the phones, but got the inspections late afternoon. They will open @ 4pm on Thursday. Also, they are now franchising Bottom's Up. One somewhere on Hull street plans to open in the fall, not sure where yet, and one in the future in Newport News. Ok, I think that is all for now. Peace!

Melissa Rugieri's Table Talk column in today's Entertainment section of the RTD is full of goodies.

Great comments on the new look and (slightly revised) menu at BOTTOMS UP.

Story about the former Konstas at Floyd and Robinson being under new management and changing its name to CARLTON'S. I remember in the dark ages when it was known as Cavedo's Drug Store. I had my first teenybopper job there as soda jerk and was paid 75 cents a night - and God forbid you tried to sneak a free coca cola!! Anyway, since there are no more Mediterranean owners around the premises, CARLTON'S has devised a new menu and a more lively upstairs bar.

Further nostalgia: Melissa reports that Chez Lafayette will close a week for summer vacation. It is the site of old Lafayette Pharmacy where we Thomas Jefferson students used to hang out after (and if we could sneak out ,sometimes during) classes. It's on Lafayette street where the Westhampton street car line used to run about a block east of TJ High School. :mellow: This little emoticon means "mellow", which is exactly how I feel!

Edited by burt