Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Sorry to read today in Melissa R's Table Talk column in RTD's Entertainment section that TONIC on 18th street in The Bottom has shuttered. Maybe something just as exciting will take its place soon.

Forgot to mention that on my tour of the Bottom last week, the door to JACQUEMO'S at 18th and Franklin was open, so I walked in. There was no one there except a bar tender who was on the phone, so I looked around on my own. It's a quite colorful three-room affair. But the Awful Arthur sign still adorns a wall of the building.

Back to Melissa's column, she had some nice things to say about the new location of MARTINI & BUBBLE BAR uptown on Main near Meadow.

PS. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the meanings of Bubble Bar and Bubble Tea!!

Edited by burt

new restaurant coming on Main St in Shockoe Bottom???

"Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield Alliance is pleased to announce the sale of 1005 East Main Street in the City of Richmond, Virginia. Roman Development, LLC purchased the 10,100 sq.ft. retail building from Jean & Shevel, LLC for $450,000 as an investment and plans to renovate for a restaurant."

new restaurant coming on Main St in Shockoe Bottom???

"Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield Alliance is pleased to announce the sale of 1005 East Main Street in the City of Richmond, Virginia. Roman Development, LLC purchased the 10,100 sq.ft. retail building from Jean & Shevel, LLC for $450,000 as an investment and plans to renovate for a restaurant."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this address is the old bank building with the nice arch next door to The Heritage Apartments at 10th and Main.

Edited by burt

The compilation of 1400 eateries in Richmond posted above by Worldcoupe4 has to be the work of Dana Craig and her associates over at RTD's Dining Out page. Check it, folks! Restaurants are listed alphabetically. Thank you all over at RTD.

Edited by burt

Forgot to mention that on my ramblings around Richmond a week ago, we stopped off for beers at the bars of Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's in Short Pump Town Center. Both quite crowded at 9:30 on a Monday night.

And I guess you've all heard the rumor that COYOTE UGLY may be THE tenant in the Power Plant at Richmond on the James.

Maggiano's is nice but I think its a little overrated... Better Italian at Julian's on Broad....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, puleeeze, coupe. You can't mean that! Haven't eaten at Maggiano's, but almost any Italian place is better than .... o, well, as I've often said, to each his own!!

Try La Grotta or Amici or Azzurro, or ANYWHERE!

Edited by burt

lol that comment riled you up! haha well to be fair, there is a great crap dip appetizer at Julians....

but seriously, I wasn't overly impressed with Maggiano's... some of the other upscale restaurant chains that entered recently were much more impressive in their own culinary categories. The service was lousy and snobby and I can't even remember what I ate... When I have a great meal, I never forget it. Take for example the incredible lump crab meat and lobster mashed potatoes at Bookbinders (not to mention the service was impeccable!). Or perhaps the "oscar" dinner at tobacco company. Or the melting pot.... those were good meals... Maggiano's had a nice atmosphere, but the food wasn't at the same level.

Bookbinders is great. mmmm, lobster mashed potatos (or is that spelled with an "e", Mr. Vice President?) .... mmmmm my mouth is watering. Think I'll fix myself some shrimp in Alfredo sauce over linguine for supper with a nice salad on the side and a glass of wine. :)

Edited by burt

quick update on the lady bird at burt's request :)

"One of Lady Byrd's main tenants is slated to be Toad's Place Richmond, which is officially being called a "performance venue" but will resemble a large nightclub and restaurant. An opening this winter is scheduled. By spring, patrons may be able to sit by the canal and listen to music performed on a floating stage.

"There are very few existing buildings [on the canal] that have that size and shape to them," said Jeff Sadler, general manager of Turning Point Development, which is expected to be the majority owner of Toad's Place Richmond. "We want to take advantage of that.""

"Fulton Hill Properties, is transforming the historic Lady Byrd Hat building into three floors of office, retail and restaurant space.

The 48,000-square-foot building has 150 feet of frontage on the canal and will make good use of it, with outdoor dining areas on the canal level and on balconies overlooking it."

Lady Byrd

not bad. Wonder where it will go..... btw burt do you know if Stool Pigeon's and BWW's are doing good business?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can attest that Stool Pigeon was packed one day at lunch last week. and when asked, the bar tender said they were very pleased with business.

Last Christmas, on a visit, I looked into Buffalo Wild Wings on a Sunday afternoon and it was packed while the rest of the neighborhood was deserted.

Edited by burt

quick update on the lady bird at burt's request :)

"One of Lady Byrd's main tenants is slated to be Toad's Place Richmond, which is officially being called a "performance venue" but will resemble a large nightclub and restaurant. An opening this winter is scheduled. By spring, patrons may be able to sit by the canal and listen to music performed on a floating stage.

"There are very few existing buildings [on the canal] that have that size and shape to them," said Jeff Sadler, general manager of Turning Point Development, which is expected to be the majority owner of Toad's Place Richmond. "We want to take advantage of that.""

"Fulton Hill Properties, is transforming the historic Lady Byrd Hat building into three floors of office, retail and restaurant space.

The 48,000-square-foot building has 150 feet of frontage on the canal and will make good use of it, with outdoor dining areas on the canal level and on balconies overlooking it."

Lady Byrd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, coupe.

The entertainment venue will accommodate up to 1500 with all the modern VIP suites and accoutrements, making it financially possible to book in National and International acts.

I thought it was interesting to read that they had to excavate 3 and half feet to allow for ingress and egress to the canal front.

I think this place is going to draw big focus to the waterfront.

Bottom's Up is expanding.... looks like 2 new locations and one outside the Richmond area:

"-- Woodlake Commons shopping center off Hull Street Road in Chesterfield County. It should open in November.

-- CNU Village shopping center in Newport News across from Christopher Newport University. It is slated to open in December.

Chris DeCapri, who owns the Capri Jewelers chain, has an agreement with the owner of the original Bottoms Up to operate other locations.

DeCapri's first Bottoms Up venture opened a year ago on Nuckols Road in Henrico County. He has plans for more."

Even so, the only real Bottom's Up to go to is actually where it gets its name from: SHOCKOE BOTTOM :)

Bottom's Up expands...

Edited by wrldcoupe4

good to know that BWW's and Stool Pigeons are booming..... the thing that got me most excited about the Lady Byrd was the floating stage in the canal!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The floating stage will have to be in the turning basin so it won't block all that "heavy boat traffic" in the narrow stretch opposite Ladybird. haha.

David Napier, former proprietor of David's White House restaurant in Providence Forge, is now operating the fancy and elegant OLD CITY BAR on the second level of the former Railroad YMCA at 17th and Main. He serves dinner Wednesdays thru Saturdays. I haven't been there since it was under the Ripp ownership a couple of years ago. It looks pretty snappy outside and from reports, it's "phat" (the new youth word I've learned :lol:).

Edited by burt