Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

"Two area restaurants have said goodbye. Lou's, 308 N. Laurel St., and Trio Pizza & Pasta, 9726 Midlothian Turnpike, have closed.

Racine's has finally opened at the former site of Morgan's, 304 N. Robinson St. The restaurant serves French-inspired cuisine , including rack of lamb, sweet breads, scallops and onion soup.

Dinner is served beginning at 5:30 p.m. daily, and the bar is open until 2 a.m. daily. "

TD Table Talk

So that people will not think I am a TOTAL snob, I want to point out Dana Craig's review of ANDY'S CAFE in today's Entertainment section of the RTD. Dana is a brave lady and does not limit her reviews to top-of-the-line establishments. ANDY'S CAFE, located at 5235 Laburnum Avenue in Laburnum Green Shopping Center specializes in Mom-type home cookin', and some (not all) of the descriptions in Dana's review had me salivating.

Edited by burt

I was taken to BUZ AND NED'S barbeque establishment for a BBQ sandwich on my last trip, and it was out of this World. Then I treated my hosts to a movable feast desert and lime ades up the Boulevard at BILL'S BARBEQUE. They have the best chocolate pie in the World, and the other kinds of pie are equally delicious.

any idea what's going here burt?

" 1005 E. Main St. in Richmond. Roman Development, LLC purchased the 10,100 sq.ft. retail building from Jean & Shevel, LLC for $450,000 as an investment and plans to renovate for a restaurant."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. We discussed this above when you thought it was in Shockoe Bottom. I forwarded the info to Deveron Timberlake at STYLE via Jason Roop but got no reply. He did not mention it in his Side Dish column this week, so either he knows nothing, isn't interested, or didn't get my message.

The food court under glass and ajoined to Blues Armory at the north end of what was 6th street Marketplace is still fairly active on weekdays.

MR. BOJANGLES, the multi-level restaurant/club in that location is open Thursdays thru Saturdays only. They still have former tenant MULLIGAN'S name in large letters on upper level windows overlooking Festival Park and The Coliseum. Misleading, to say the least.

MR. BOJANGLES was born of CROAKER'S SPOT, one of the best soul-inspired, seafood-heavy restaurants downtown. It's on the corner of 2nd and Leigh streets, and if you haven't been for lunch or dinner, you're missing a treat.

Edited by burt

I'm hoping that will happen eventually... it's been planned for years....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will happen. And qicker than you think. The center of the city at 6th and Broad will blossom. I just wish VAPAF would build a condo tower over their Music Hall, and I think I will strongly suggest this to them. Of course, they're not inept enough to have not already considered this - it's probably tied in with covenants and other stupid restrictions.

How did this get into our dining thread? Guess I must have introduced it!

Edited by burt

This building on Main St is awesome...it's the one I mentioned earlier in the thread.... and it's being converted into a restaurant. Just found out on RCW... I think it's circa 1919:

043se25_main142.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its arch originally matched the ones in the Heritage building, I think. Anxious to hear more about restaurant plans for the building.

Edited by burt

In today's 'Eat Beat" column on Richmond dot com, Karri Peifer discusses in a vibrant fun way, the new trend of Progressive Dining - Apetizers and drinks at Restaurant A, Entree at B and dessert at C. In light of gasoline prices, she lists by areas: Shockoe, Downtown; The Fan; West End and Southside. Good read. :)

VIVA ITALIA - RICHMOND.

An Italian Street Festival on East Broad street between 23rd and 26th strreets, sponsored by the St. John's Fall Festival, will be celebrated October 1st and 2nd - this coming Saturday (11am to 9pm) and Sunday (11am to 6pm).

Participating restaurants and caterers will include: Italian Kitchen West; Accapella; Angelo's; Brio Tuscan Grille; Cavanna; DeFazio's; Gheradoni's Gelato; Rosabella's, and Taste of Italy.

There is a $2.00 admission charge, and ala carte treats from $3 to $6.

Edited by burt

The "Two Street Festival" along 2nd street between Jackson, Broad and spilling over to 1st and 3rd streets, takes place this weekend.

It's an annual Fall festival that attracts tens of thousands to Jackson Ward for music, exhibits, fun and food. Try smoked salmon; jerk chicken and goat; crab cakes; Barbeque; smoked turkey legs and more.

The above and following were gleaned from Deveron Timberlake's Side Dish column in today's Style Weekly.

The elegant and popular 1 NORTH BELMONT just "off" Carytown has been awarded the coveted 4-diamond award from the AAA.

ELEMENT LOUNGE at 119 N. 18th street (former site of Farenhite) has gotten it together, including liquor license, and is open for business.

And from the pen of Joseph W. Cates, a Style Weekly restaurant critic, a very good thumbs up goes to CORNER BAR AND GRILL located in the Carver area at 1301 West Leigh Street. A mixture of professionals, students from nearby VCU and others have discovered good ambiance and down-to-earth kitchen specialities ranging from Nachos to Surf 'n Turf. Telephone: 804/213-3046.

Edited by burt

how pricy is 1 north belmont?

btw when are you ready for your link lesson?

Very pricey, I think, but I'm sure the g/f would think more highly of you after a dinner treat there - especially after I tell her about yours and Eric's bawdy night on the town.

:lol:

I'm afraid of linking. I borrow from journalists, but always paraphrase so as not to be accused of plagerism. I don't think that violates any copyright rules, but if I ever learned linkage, I just might. Maybe some day down the road I'll let you teach me. :)

Dana Craig gave an over-all favorable review of MICHELLE'S AT HANOVER TAVERN in Yesterday's Entertainment section of the RTD. Sounds like a scrumptious and wide-ranging menu.

Formerly the site of Barksdale Theatre (now ensconced at Willow Lawn), the old Tavern was built long enough ago to have had Patrick Henry as a part-time bar tender. His daytime job was pleading The Parsons Cause across the street in Hanover Court House. Other notables of the time, among them Jefferson, Lafayette and yes, George, too, visited, slept and/or dined there, and it even hosted P. T.Barnum and accompanying managerie in the 19th century.

Along about 1953, a scraggly but talented group of New York actors, one of whom had a welcoming mother in Richmond, settled in the city in hopes of establishing a playhouse in the area. Each took a job and they pooled their salaries toward purchasing a suitable space. Eventually, they discovered the bedraggled Hanover Tavern and negotiated with the owner to purchase the historic building for $25K. It was a mess, knee deep in beer cans from its recent roadhouse days. Nonetheless, with the help of devoted theatrically-inspired locals, the day finally came, and a performance of the mello-drama "Gold in the Hills" launched the troop. Subsequently, they became more selective in their play offerings.

Because the Tavern is about 13 miles north of the city on US 301, Edith Lindeman, drama critic at the RTD, suggested they serve a meal to theatre goers. A large kitchen already existed from the roadhouse days as well as Patrick's old bar. The taproom and other spaces were used for dining and, after the meal, customers had to tote their chairs to the adjoining ballroom to witness the evening's theatrical offering. Conditions improved considerably and eventually dining was expanded to second level rooms and permanent, comfortable seating was installed in the old ballroom/playhouse. Barksdale endured through trial and travail until the building was purchased by the Historic Hanover Tavern Association about a decade ago and underwent total renovation. Over a cumulative 50 years, Barksdale survives as a professional theatre at Willow Lawn, and in the commodious lobby, has charmingly preserved artifacts from its Hanover Tavern days.

Viva Barksdale - and Michelle!!

Edited by burt

My sources for restaurant news are pretty barren this week. Deveron's Style Weekly column is pretty thin, and Zack's Table Talk in the RTD got booted online and was replaced by his column from the previous week.

I'll see what I can dig up. Meanwhile, how about some contributions from you folks? Brent once in a while has a few pithy comments, including his apetite for the burgers at 4th Street Diner. What do you think of the new Martini and Bubble Bar uptown on Main, Brent? And I still want to know what Bubble Bar and Bubble Tea mean!!! :lol: