Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

In today's Times Dispatch, Dana Craig waxes enthusiastic about the decor of CIRRUS, the corner restaurant once known as Dogwood Grille at 1731 West Main. But The Fan's newish spot has kitchen weaknesses. It tows the "Fan Fare" culinary doctrine, offering glamourouslly named appetizers and entrees, but falls below expectations.

Chef Nora Hickey, who not long ago ran things at HELEN's in The Fan, knows her way around a six burner. I bet a quarter she'll bring CIRRUS preparation and presentation up to her former standards. CIRRUS is still shaking down.

At present, Dana rates it two stars.

CIRRUS

1731 West Main Street in Richmond's Fan District

tel. 804/340-1984

Tab for two (sans nips): $62.

Edited by burt

Deveron Timberlake who supplies us with restaurant comings and goings from her desk at Style Weekly has me crying in my coffee this morning. She says that JUMPIN J's JAVA, the delightful coffee/dinner spot in a kinky building on Jefferson Avenue in Church Hill, has folded.

Other news from Deveron is that THE IRONHORSE along the Amtrak right-of-way in Ashland has changed hands. Long time owner Mimi Siff is giving up the reins to chef Jay Comfort who once was with POSTE MODERNE BRASSERIE in Washington. He promises minimal changes at IRONHORSE in the immediate future.

SAXBYS COFFEE, a National chain, is taking up residence in Monroe Park Towers at the n/e corner of Belvidere and Franklin Streets.

Deveron promises a wrap-up of trends and changes in next week's Style.

Ya gotta check this one out, folks. It's a combined effort by Don Baker, Brandon Fox and our friend Deveron Timberlake at Style Weekly. They've compiled a piece titled "Purveyors of Taste" crediting all the right people who have guided Richmond's culinary growth.

It's a gem of a read.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15897

Under the sub heading "Fresh Thinkers", note that Sosie Hublitz who lost it all when her excellent KITCHEN TABLE got flooded by Gaston, is back in town and "scouting locations for a new hush hush venture that promises gourmet comfort food on a whole new level."

Also, under "Life of the Party" touting Tuffy and Leslie Stone: "Watch for a big new venture from this team next year."

Any word on what is happening with the new Starbucks in the James Center. They could have built two from scratch in the time it has taken them to renovate the space.

You mean it's still not open? Signs were up for it when I was in town in October.

While we're talking asbout The Slip, what's up with GRANNY WADE's?

Edited by burt

I was a little disappointed with Granny Wade's, to be honest. The food was good, but not spectacular. There are, however, two glaring deficiencies that have to be addressed before I will visit regularly:

1) Southern meals are supposed to have some sort of bread with them (e.g., biscuit, corn bread, yeast roll). There is no bread on the lunch menu at all, even if I wanted to pay extra.

2) The meals are served in styrofoam clamshell containers and with plastic utensils. Give me a friggin' break. They have fried chicken today, but I'm not going because I'm not interested in trying to tackle a chicken breast with a plastic fork.

I could overlook one or both of these failings if it weren't for the fact that they charge $10 (including tax) for lunch. They are considerably more expensive than, for example, Peking where you get a waiter, real forks, and real plates.

I hope they're reading this board, because I'm not the type to complain to somebody in person.

I was a little disappointed with Granny Wade's, to be honest. The food was good, but not spectacular. There are, however, two glaring deficiencies that have to be addressed before I will visit regularly:

1) Southern meals are supposed to have some sort of bread with them (e.g., biscuit, corn bread, yeast roll). There is no bread on the lunch menu at all, even if I wanted to pay extra.

2) The meals are served in styrofoam clamshell containers and with plastic utensils. Give me a friggin' break. They have fried chicken today, but I'm not going because I'm not interested in trying to tackle a chicken breast with a plastic fork.

I could overlook one or both of these failings if it weren't for the fact that they charge $10 (including tax) for lunch. They are considerably more expensive than, for example, Peking where you get a waiter, real forks, and real plates.

I hope they're reading this board, because I'm not the type to complain to somebody in person.

The description sounds a bit like a take-out spot up here on 45th just off 9th Avenue in the kitchen area of what used to be a neat restaurant called

Jezebel's. They sell breasts, drumsticks and thighs to go for a buck apiece -- you can't beat that price in NYCity or anywhere, and it's good old southern style fried chicken. They also have corn muffins (two), mac & cheese, and collard greens as well -- all for a dollar each. I can get a take-out dinner for five bucks. They can be forgiven styrofoam and plastic utensils.

I thought GRANNY WADE's would be a little classier.

Incidentally,Jezebels up here has closed and is being replaced by something called The Bar. I hope they don't close the fried chicket booth!

Edited by burt

Here's more info about becoming a restaurant reviewer that Karri Peifer told us about. It's several paragraphs down in the Richmond dot com story by David Hylton:

http://www.richmond.com/viewpoints/23200

Why don't some of you apply for the job?

Click on Karri's great review of AVALON which can be accessed within Hylton's story.

Edited by burt

Thank you Karri. I often read your Eat Beat and always enjoy it.

There well may be some contributors and/or readers here that would be interested at trying their hand at restaurant reviewing (see McLaw's comments on deLUX above.) nhughes is very much up on Greater Richmond's restaurant scene.

And especially, checkplease, but I strongly suspect this expert on the foodie scene is otherwise engaged...or certainly SHOULD be ;) .

If I were not living in Manhattan, I'd jump at the opportunity. Just think of all the free meals.

Visit often, please.

Thanks Burt, for the shout out and help with recruiting a new restaurant reviewer. I was actually in NYC last weekend. I ate at No. 28 in the west village... best pizza of my life. I also tried Supper in what I think was NoHo, but I'm not sure. You've got a great town, but I feel for y'all this time of year. This was my first NYC trip at Christmas... and last - too crowded for me.

Anyway, on to the reviewer. We're running it as a contest of sorts. In the past, RDC has had a lot of response from readers who want to review restaurants (and, yes, dine for free), but a lot of them have no experience. The contest details are available on the site, but this gets unpublished foodies an opportunity to get started, if you know any.

In the meantime, I have a tidbit from my next "Dish" column that I don't think has been on the board yet. LuLu's, in Shockoe Bottom, is open. Paul Keevil, of Millie's, is involved: http://lu-lusrichmond.com/index.html

Thanks, Karri. Hope you got to 30 Rock to see the huge tree -- that is, if you could make your way thru the crowds. I have to say that at my age, the hustle and bustle of the Apple makes me kind of homesick for Richmond. But when I was younger and blood was rushing thru the veins, NYCity was the absolute tops!

LULU's web page looks good -- nice uncomplicated menu. I think Wrldcoupe4 knows about LULU's and may have tried it out.

I have a notion that some who visit this board will be trying their hand at your kind of job. I mean, it's not like a life-time committment. Sounds fun to me.

Edited by burt

Hey, Karri: I just called LULU's (804/343-9771) and learned that they've been open for about two months already. There was a lot of crowd noise in the background, an indication that they're doing a booming lunch business. It is in those buildings that have had posters on their windows for months advertising a "new restaurant opening soon." It's Directly across from HAVANA 59, Lunch 'til 3PM and dinner "til 11PM.

Hey, Karri: I just called LULU's (804/343-9771) and learned that they've been open for about two months already. There was a lot of crowd noise in the background, an indication that they're doing a booming lunch business. It is in those buildings that have had posters on their windows for months advertising a "new restaurant opening soon." It's Directly across from HAVANA 59, Lunch 'til 3PM and dinner "til 11PM.

Seems like most foodies have known about LULU'S opening long before it actually happened, including most of the major media outlets. In fact, Richmond magazine published LuLu's menu and website more than two months ago in their Dine supplement.

I swung by there the first week it was open, and they didn't have a liquor license yet. Sadly, the place was almost empty. However, I had dinner there about 2 weeks ago, and it was incredible. You'd never know the place was "new." It's actually across the street and one block down from Havana '59 (behind the Farmer's Market). If memory serves me correctly, I think it's in the old Chetti's location. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, it's already a very popular hot spot. One bite of the grilled salmon in a black bean coconut broth is enough reason to know why. Delish.

Seems like most foodies have known about LULU'S opening long before it actually happened, including most of the major media outlets. In fact, Richmond magazine published LuLu's menu and website more than two months ago in their Dine supplement.

I swung by there the first week it was open, and they didn't have a liquor license yet. Sadly, the place was almost empty. However, I had dinner there about 2 weeks ago, and it was incredible. You'd never know the place was "new." It's actually across the street and one block down from Havana '59 (behind the Farmer's Market). If memory serves me correctly, I think it's in the old Chetti's location. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, it's already a very popular hot spot. One bite of the grilled salmon in a black bean coconut broth is enough reason to know why. Delish.

With Paul Keevil of MILLIE's involved, how could LULU's go wrong? :thumbsup: What does it look like inside, checkplease?

Edited by burt

Here's a nice little piece from Style on Lulu's, the new restaurant soon to be opening in the Bottom. Looking forward to a little more life on that stretch of 17th :)

Style Weekly - Enter Lulu's

Hey folks, I am new to this site and am enjoying the Richmond restaurant talk. Everyone really seems to know their stuff and have enthusiasm. Quick question after reading about LuLu's... What's going on with the rest of the 17th Street area in Shockoe Bottom. I have heard things about a pianao bar and the fireman's themed halligan's but don't know what to make of it all. Any news?? Thanks for the great posts

Hey folks, I am new to this site and am enjoying the Richmond restaurant talk. Everyone really seems to know their stuff and have enthusiasm. Quick question after reading about LuLu's... What's going on with the rest of the 17th Street area in Shockoe Bottom. I have heard things about a pianao bar and the fireman's themed halligan's but don't know what to make of it all. Any news?? Thanks for the great posts

Halligan Bar

Here's some info about Halligan. It's going to be next to Cafe Gutenberg in the old Kitchen Table location. It was supposed to have opened already, but word on the street is that the opening has been delayed until Spring. That's how restaurant openings go I guess. I can't remember one that's actually opened on time.

As far as a piano bar goes, that's news to me. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. The only piano bar I currently know about in Richmond is the Piano Club Steak & Seafood on West Broad Street.

Halligans was open to the public the night of the Grand Illumination. They will be opening soon I believe but I don't have an exact date. From what I've heard, the piano bar is a no-go, or has at least been delayed a good while. The owner of Big Daddy's and now BPM has apparently run into money issues. Last I saw that space had a "For Rent" sign in the window. Good Fellas is another project of his at the corner of 18th and Main. Work has been done in there however recent activity (or lack thereof) indicates that project may have been put on the backburner as well. Further up Main towards Tobacco Row, a new coffee shop is going to be opening.

Halligan Bar

As far as a piano bar goes, that's news to me. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. The only piano bar I currently know about in Richmond is the Piano Club Steak & Seafood on West Broad Street.

DEUCES WILD was set to go where MOONDANCE/WILDCATS was on 17th Street. The dueling piano bar has been put on hold for the time being.

Welcome, nickle.

HALLIGAN's (a word that means something in fire fighters vocabulary) had the cab of a fire truck mounted on an inside wall last October when I peeked in and a worker there told me that it would open in 3 weeks. Obviously, that deadline was missed. As checkplease says, it's was the location of KITCHEN TABLE until Gaston wiped it out. DEUCES WILD had absolutely no activity going on during my short visit to Richmond, but a young man at BPM on 18th Street (means beats per minute) enthusiastically said that work was about to get underway on piano bar.

And I am surprised Ric75 that GOODFELLA's still sits empty. Did another promised restaurant adjacent to BIG DADDY's open?

And is the Morrocan place in old River City Diner still operating and serving on styrofoam plates with plastic utencils? (GRANNY WADE's tiny place in The Slip is also eschewing china and silver. Hope that's not a trend!!!)

Where on Main is the new coffee shop going?

What about PAPA NINGO -- has it expanded as promised?

LULU took its time getting ready but from reports is doing just fine.

Sosie Hublitz who went to the Outer Banks after her excellent KITCHEN TABLE flooded, is back in Richmond looking for a new property, according to Style Weekly restaurant writers.

The former Zuppa that was taken over by a couple of young guys and called BISTRO 104 did not make it and closed.

JULEP's, hands down, is by far the best restaurant in the Bottom, IMO.

Edited by burt

And I am surprised Ric75 that GOODFELLA's still sits empty. Did another promised restaurant adjacent to BIG DADDY's open?

And is the Morrocan place in old River City Diner still operating and serving on styrofoam plates with plastic utencils? (GRANNY WADE's tiny place in The Slip is also eschewing china and silver. Hope that's not a trend!!!)

The Bubble Bar (don't remember the exact name) is open in the old RIVER CITY DINER space on Main Street. It was opened by a former partner from ALADDIN EXPRESS at Laurel and Broad near VCU. It is a Mediterranean hookah bar/restaurant, rather than Moroccan (unlike COUS COUS, which is decidedly Moroccan).

If you are referring to the spot to the right of BIG DADDY'S, then you're talking about GOODFELLAS. There is an empty space to the left that isn't slated for anything that I'm aware of. GOODFELLAS is still on, and it has been moving along nicely. You can already see the completion on the facade and the deck.

What about PAPA NINGO -- has it expanded as promised?

PAPA NINGO is still on for the larger spot, and I'm helping them get someone in to take over their current location (no secret, since they are just moving next door). The construction on the larger spot has been delayed due to unforeseen delays from the city, as usual with any project I have ever heard of in the city.

There is a space at 1717 East Franklin Street that I am leasing out for a client. You'll see my sign on it if you go down there. It's a fully equipped, high-end sushi restaurant right now. No telling what will go in there at this point, although I have some groups working on Asian-fusion concepts that are the most likely candidates at the moment. This space is right beside JULEP'S, and has a beautiful wooden facade. I had taken note of it a few years ago, even before I knew the owner of the building. I'll let you know what's going in there once we have someone firm, and they give me permission to let it out there.

The Bubble Bar (don't remember the exact name) is open in the old RIVER CITY DINER space on Main Street. It was opened by a former partner from ALADDIN EXPRESS at Laurel and Broad near VCU. It is a Mediterranean hookah bar/restaurant, rather than Moroccan (unlike COUS COUS, which is decidedly Moroccan).

If you are referring to the spot to the right of BIG DADDY'S, then you're talking about GOODFELLAS. There is an empty space to the left that isn't slated for anything that I'm aware of. GOODFELLAS is still on, and it has been moving along nicely. You can already see the completion on the facade and the deck.

PAPA NINGO is still on for the larger spot, and I'm helping them get someone in to take over their current location (no secret, since they are just moving next door). The construction on the larger spot has been delayed due to unforeseen delays from the city, as usual with any project I have ever heard of in the city.

There is a space at 1717 East Franklin Street that I am leasing out for a client. You'll see my sign on it if you go down there. It's a fully equipped, high-end sushi restaurant right now. No telling what will go in there at this point, although I have some groups working on Asian-fusion concepts that are the most likely candidates at the moment. This space is right beside JULEP'S, and has a beautiful wooden facade. I had taken note of it a few years ago, even before I knew the owner of the building. I'll let you know what's going in there once we have someone firm, and they give me permission to let it out there.

Wow thanks for the great update nhughes. Very informative! I was under the impression things had slowed down or even stopped at Goodfellas so I'm glad to hear that things are still progressing. I'm excited to hear that the space on Franklin has garnered some interest. I've seen newspaper and old permits in the window for what seems like years now. And you're right about the facade. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see what this becomes. What used to be a pretty desolate stretch of the Bottom is getting a little action with the expanded Papa Ningo and this new establishment by Julep's.

The restaurant in the old River City Diner building is called "Bubbling". Some friends and I ate there a few weeks ago. I can't highly recommend their cous-cous however friends raved about the falafel and gyros and I did enjoy a hookah filled with a tasty apple tobacco. A rare treat for me! They really skimped on ambiance though and hope they can stay around long enough to make improvements.

GIBSON'S -- here's the lowdown from Greg Gilligan in today inRich:

"Johnny and Katrina Giavos, owners of Sidewalk Cafe, Kuba Kuba, Kitchen 64 and 3 Monkeys, are opening more eateries.

"Gibson's, at Seventh and East Broad streets, will be a two-level restaurant connected to the renovated National Theater, which is opening in February as a music venue.

"Katrina said she and her husband are shooting to open Gibson's in late January, but it probably will be in February.

"The first floor will seat about 100 people with a small bar. Downstairs will have seating for 150 people with a club lounge.

"Patrons will be able to enter the theater through the restaurant.

"Katrina said Gibson's also will cater to downtown workers, including those who will work and visit the nearby federal court building that is under construction."

Hmmmm. Sounds terrific! Wonder if Mama Stella will lend a hand in the kitchen? What will the menu feature?

But why the name GIBSON's? Does it come from the cocktail of the same name -- vodka and/or gin martini with a tiny onion? Does anyone have a clue? Checkplease? nhughes? Ric75? Deveron Timberlake? Karri Peifer?

Edited by burt

nhughes, Ric75, nickle and others, a couple of questions and comments:

Is there a functioning sushi restaurant in the 1717 E. Franklin building? If so, what is it called? SUMMO SAN a block away at 1725 East Main is still open, isn't it? I believe for a short while in the 70's or 80's the Franklin street building was a gallery. Doesn't it back up to ALLEY KATZ , the address of which is Walnut Alley? Is there a possibilityof JULEP's expanding in the space you represent nhughes, since it is directly next door?

Isn't LULU's closer to Franklin on 17th than the old Chetti's. If so, what is happening in the Chetti space?

Has anything happened to the restored building on 17th street at Walnut Alley? It was empty in October. And for that matter, what's with the handsome structure at the corner of Walnut Alley and 18th Street? Some kind of street work was going on last October at 18th and Walnut in front of the vacant building.

Doesn't an alley separate the present PAPA NINGO's with its new space? Why does it take the City and (ABC?) so long to approve new businesses?

And why oh why does that north/west corner building at 18th and Franklin remain derelict? It's an eyesore. There used to be a restaurant to the west of that corner on Franklin with "Surf" in its name. Is it still vacant?

There is (or was) a small structure between BIG DADDY's and GOODFELLA's. The owner of BIG DADDY's told me about 2 years ago that he planned to put an Italian eatery in the space. And unless I'm really confused, that space is not part of GOODFELLA's. I don't remember what is west of BIG D's, except for old River City Diner.

BUBBLING, the hookar place that uses styrofoam for its food offerings, is not a "bar" in the sense that most people think of the word. The place serves no alcohol whatsoever according to a Style Weekly review of the place.

is La'V's home cooking restaurant still open on the south side of East Main between 18th and 19th streets? Several people have said it has OK fried chicken but the slowest service in town.

Edited by burt

Gilligan, in his weekly Monday inRich column, says that Dunkin' Donuts has returned after a long absence to the Richmond area. There are about 10 stores in Metro including one in Petersburg and another soon in Eastern Henrico.

More openings are planned for 2008 -- including one perhaps in downtown, if a site can be found.

Wow, burt -- lots of questions! :)

nhughes, Ric75, nickle and others, a couple of questions and comments:

Is there a functioning sushi restaurant in the 1717 E. Franklin building? If so, what is it called? SUMO SAN a block away at 1725 East Main is still open, isn't it? I believe for a short while in the 70's or 80's the Franklin street building was a gallery. Doesn't it back up to ALLEY KATZ , the address of which is Walnut Alley? Is there a possibilityof JULEP's expanding in the space you represent nhughes, since it is directly next door?

JULEP'S hasn't spoken to me about moving into 1717 E Franklin (and even if they had, I probably couldn't talk about it just yet). The space was indeed an art gallery at one point, and before that I think it was a clothing store. Good memory! I can barely remember it from one person telling me about it to the next.

The space is in the process of being built out, and has been for a couple of years. Things are progressing, but it's a slow process -- especially when a tenant hasn't been secured. The owner was going to run it themselves, but just had too much else going on.

And yeah, it does back up to ALLEY KATZ, more or less.

SUMO SAN is still open as far as I know. In fact, the owner's second location is opening soon (if it hasn't already) in Carytown, where the ROLY POLY was.

Isn't LULU's closer to Franklin on 17th than the old Chetti's. If so, what is happening in the Chetti space?

I'm not sure where the old CHETTI'S was...

more to come..... I had to split this into a couple of posts.