Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

City authorities are trying to make it easier (and cheaper) for restaurants in commercial areas to establish sidewalk cafes.

East Grace Street, for instance, has rather narrow sidewalks but as long as open-air enclosures in front of restaurants allow five feet of passage for pedestrians, dining (and, I assume, libations) would be permitted. Tables, chairs, umbrellas, etc. would have to be removed at closing time.

From Phil Riggan in today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ion-ar-2365464/

I'm getting antsy about my upcoming traditional Christmas-time dinner in Richmond. It's a party of 7 and I always select one of the city's new downtown restaurants.

This year I told everyone it would be either RAPPAHANNOCK (1st choice) or CASA del BARCO -- both of which anticipated openings in late November. But so far neither has confirmed a firm date.

RAPPAHANNOCK at 320/322 East Grace Street is to be the Richmond spin-off of MERROIR in Topping, Va. It opened a hugely popular spot called Rappahannock Oyster Bar at 1309 5th Street, NE in Washington's Union Market (NOT Union Station) in September and was overwhelmed with 500 people on the first day. Richmond will be the third location and will be a full seafood restaurant/oyster bar -- the only of the three operations to be designated as 'fine-dining.'

CASA del BARCO is the third local 'Boathouse' by owner Kevin Healy and will be in the Italianate building on the north shore of the Haxall Canal across from Richmond on the James. It is part of the redevelopment complex known as The Locks. It will have an upscale Mexican menu with Mariachi band, etc.

I've got my Amtrak ticket and arrive Main Street Station at 5:15PM on the 20th of December. Here's hoping either of the restaurants will be able to accept a reservation prior to that date. :good:

If anyone has inside information, please post it here.

I've just been told that RAPPAHANNOCK's projected opening on December 7th will be pushed forward and while Chef Dylan Fultineer continues to build his menu, construction problems create uncertainty about when the restaurant will be able to receive guests.

I've also learned that December 28th is tentatively set for the opening of CASA del BARCO -- too late for my dinner party on December 20th.

I'm going to have to rethink my plans.

Our friend, jb, has high praise for MANSION FIVE 26.

MAXIMO'S in The Bottom has received mixed notices but tweaks my interest.

And I've heard good things about AZZIZA.

It's sort of a tradition in the Christmas season to take the train from New York to Main Street Station, meet a few family members and friends, then proceed to one of downtown's new restaurants for drinks and dinner.

Two years ago, we dined at ROOSEVELT, and last year, it was LA PARISIENNE.

My selection this year is between RAPPAHANNOCK and CASA DEL BARCO. Problem is, will either be ready and serving by late December?

Karri Peifer took a look around Kevin Healey's CASA DEL BARCO and expresses her doubts in this piece from today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ner-ar-2294120/

PS: My first choice is RAPPAHANNOCK which expects to begin serving at 322 East Grace Street around Thanksgiving.

Be sure to share your review for whichever one you head to! Hopefully they will both be open in time so that you may have your choice between them.

Edited by TBurban

Be sure to share your review for whichever one you head to! Hopefully they will both be open in time so that you may have your choice between them.

Thanks, Tommy. 

Since CASA del BARCO's opening has been postponed until December 28th and with all the uncertainty surrounding the opening date of RAPPAHANNOCK, I've made reservations at THE MAGPIE on the corner of West Leigh and Norton Streets in The Carver district (about 3 blocks north of VCU's Siegel Center.) 

MAGPIE has dozens of four and five star reviews at Yelp.

Here's the website:

http://www.themagpierva.com/index.php

All of a sudden I'm having a terrible time bringing stories over from the Times Dispatch.  It may be because both it and Richmond dot com have reformatted themselves.  But more likely, it's my ineptitude.

Today, Dana Craig has a wonderful review of a new and tiny restaurant in the Museum District.

BELMONT FOOD SHOP

Dana's rating:  Three-and-a-half stars

27 North Belmont Avenue

804/358-7467

http://belmontfoodshop.com

Noise level:  Average

Tab for Two:  $66

The place seats only 20 people at tables and the bar.

Dana arrived early and was lucky to snatch a table, but I've heard that the really good, adventurous stuff doesn't come out of the kitchen 'til later in the evening.

If you want to see pictures of the little place from West Of The Boulevard blog, go to an entry at 1:19PM on September 20th in this thread,  It's a few pages back.

Meanwhile, go to the RTD (hard copy or on-line) to read Dana's clever review.  

A couple of months ago I reported that a restaurant to be called CHARCOAL might open in the former Captain's Grill space at The John Marshall Residences on 5th at Franklin.  

Whoever was behind that plan has pulled out and the poster in the window has been removed.

A spokesperson at the JM confirms that the space will remain vacant for the foreseeable future.  

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but apparently a Waffle House will be opening on West Broad Street near VCU. It will occupy a vacant retail space at 1309 W. Broad Street next to the new 'Crave' froyo shop. For reference, this is about 1 block west of the Siegel Center (on the opposite side of Broad) and directly across from the VCU athletic training facilities.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/images/waffleedit.jpg

Remember a gas station chain called Uppy's?

Well, they're not around anymore, but the owner has gone upscale and has opened a large Las Vegas style complex near Commonwealth Center on Hull Street Road near Rte. 288.

You can't miss it.  There's a huge bowling pin on the roof.

And, amid cocktail lounges and a full service restaurant, there are 38 bowling alleys and other forms of entertainment for adults and kiddies.

It's called UPTOWN ALLEY.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/economy/uptown-alley-is-open-for-business/article_4ddcfc12-4025-11e2-ba0a-001a4bcf6878.html

Edited by burt

If erudition is your thing, this blog titled 'I could go on and on and on' will teach you more about Richmond's culture than you ever dreamed existed.

It's a sort of diary by a lady called Karen who describes it as 'the ramblings of one who lives and plays in Richmond...and has an opinion on it all.' 

It's not for everyone, but if you have a proclivity for wines, restaurants, clubs, theatres, arts, music and other esoteric pursuits in Richmond, you'll be amazed by Karen's revelations.

She has a summary of each day's activities at the bottom of every entry, so you might want to scroll down to select ramblings which you may find appealing.

If you become addicted as I am, you might want to bookmark it for future perusal.

http://icouldgoonandon.blogspot.com/2012_11_01_archive.html

Edited by burt

Hey, mate.

How 'bout a delicious down-under pie?

PROPER PIE by a Kiwi from New Zealand has just opened in the shadow of St. John's on East Broad at 25th Street.

The main product is meat pies, but they've got the sweet kind, too.

From chpn:

http://chpn.net/news...now-open_24863/

According to reports, PROPER PIE is doing quite well.  In fact, shortly after opening the owners had to shut down for a day or so to readjust operations in response to heavier demand than anticipated. :good:   

Karri Peifer reports that Richmond has received some complimentary words about the city's rising creative reputation in Wine Enthusiast Magazine.  However, I don't think you'll be able to access the link in Karri's story.

From Richmond dot com: 

http://www.richmond.com/food-drink/article_06424056-4093-11e2-b9d6-0019bb30f31a.html

They are accepting reservations on the phone -- 804/545-0565.

Barring any unforseen difficulties such as permits and licenses,  RAPPAHANNOCK in Richmond will open

this Thursday, December 13th (there's a slight chance the restaurant will begin serving on Wednesday.)

I just made reservations for later in the month and told the Croxton cousin with whom I spoke that I had been to Merroir in Topping.  He, with great good humor, reminded me that RAPPAHANNOCK is upscale in comparison..."full sit down service -- no picnic tables." :)

Edited by burt

This really isn't 'dining-out' news, but the original plan for an outer building at Movieland on North Boulevard was for a restaurant.

Movieland is the 17-screen cineplex owned by the Bow Tie Company based in New York City.

Bow Tie converted an old locomotive  plant into a highly successful movie house where major Hollywood films are shown.

In the parking lot of the complex sits an old building which Bow Tie intended to convert to a restaurant, but decided instead to carve out four screening rooms for art and documentary films.  It will be called Criterion Cinemas (a subsidiary of Bow Tie) and opens on December 28th.

From today's RVANews:  

http://rvanews.com/entertainment/bow-ties-new-theater-will-bring-more-indie-films-to-rva/74765

PS:  There are a number of dining options within blocks of Movieland/Criterion:

BUZ AND NEDS

THE FAT DRAGON

KITCHEN 64

and soon, EN SU BOCA

Also, next summer, The Washington Red Skins will set up their training camp across Leigh Street from Movieland's parking lot.

Lately, a  number of links I add make a cliciking noise and a symbol (looks like a golden finger) flashes up reading 'external link')  Is anybody else having thatproblem?  I've got a new computer, so that might be the problem but I don' know how to fix it.

If you can't open the link in this posting, it's the lead story today at:  http://rvanews,com/

Edited by burt

I'm going with a party Friday night to RAPPAHANNOCK RESTAURANT. Last fall, we were at their home base called Merroir in Topping, Va (in an area on the Rappahannock called Locklies) and we had 3 different kinds of oysters on the shell with a bottle of champagne.

Since then they have opened an oyster bar at Union Market in DC which Washington Magazine has listed among the top 10 restaurant openings in the capital this year.

RAPPAHANNOCK, at 4th and Grace Streets, opened last Thursday.

Here's what the Fat Back & Foie Gras blog has to say about it.  

http://fatbackandfoiegras.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-little-preview-of-rappahannock.html

Mmmmmm.  Can't wait.

More life is coming to East Grace Street tomorrow night.

KENN-TICO, the Cuban restaurant at 204 East Grace, has been enlarged and will open the patio-like space Thursday night (12/20/12.)

There will be music and salsa dancing on certain evenings.

From Greater Jackson Ward News:

http://www.gjwn.net/news/2012/12/19/kenn-tico-opens-new-patio-tomorrow-night/

One last post before leaving for Penn Station:

The new restaurant on Adams Street just off of West Broad is an expensive off-shoot of Tarrant's a block away.

It has been under construction for months and has had a change of direction as to ethnicity.

A million dollars is going into Ted Santerella's venture which will be a Belgian themed restaurant called MAX'S.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/12/20/restaurateurs-family-adds-2-members/

I'm off to Richmond for 14 days. 

Happy Holidays.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Having a great time here in Richmond.

Had a good dinner at M BISTRO in Rocketts Landing and a wonderful evening at RAPPANNOCK, the highly anticipated new oyster bar which opened 2 weeks ago at 4th and Grace Streets.  It was packed to the gills with happy folks and the oysters at 2 bucks each were worth every penny (we had 2 dozen.)  The menu has a number of seafood entrees, and the well-stocked bar includes Proseco on tap.

Leaving in a few minutes for Windmill Point on Chesapeake Bay, then back to Richmond on Sunday.  Dinner next Wednesday at STELLA'S on Lafayette Street in the near West End.  We had to book a table a week in advance at the very popular Greek restaurant.

The Richmond Ballet's NUTCRACKER at The Carpenter Theatre lives up to its reputation as the best regional production in America.

And Virginia Rep's THE PRODUCERS at The November Theatre (formerly The Empire) is first rate.

Residents are moving into First National Apartments at 9th and Main Streets (see Development thread for story and website.)

There is a chain link fence around the former Massey Building at 4th and Main and I think it is being converted to apartments.

The foundation is being dug for the new high-rise Children's Hospital on East Broad between 10th and 11th Streets.  

Back to NYCity Thursday.  

Looks like another chain for the city.

Noodles and Co. Has leased space at 814 W Grace St. In VCU, the building with a Panera and Chipotle. The empty third space is where I'm guessing it will go.

This certainly will generate more foot traffic for the area.... Not to mention I love Noodles and Co. ;)

The nearest location for me is Willow Lawn (and still will be, however I like that a chain is going into the city market. It actually is good news in my opinion :)

Check this weeks Pipeline from BizSense for the proof. Excited! :)