Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

• 3 weeks later...

Citizen and Greenleaf's Pool Room are closed for good.  Hopefully Hotel Greene will reopen after the pandemic.

https://www.wtvr.com/eat-it-virginia/citizen-restaurant-closing-for-good-coronavirus-cited-as-a-reason

Greenleaf's Pool Room
March 15 at 10:34 AM · 
With a heavy heart we are closing indefinitely— thanks to all of our friends and customers who brought the room to life over the years. Stay healthy and safe.
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Vinny’s on Broad across from the new development in front of UMFS has closed.  That entire block has to be prime real estate now, and would make for an awesome Flatiron style building. 

E37D4521-1D7C-46AF-9A1F-E5A6048398D0.png

Definitely! I can totally see it - a 12-story Flatiron-style residential building. Would be a nice addition to that part of town. Here's hoping!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

If only we had an angled intersection like that downtown. It might have actually happened

That would have been great! Closest such intersection to downtown, I think, is on the VCU campus at Monroe Park, where the Cathedral is.

• 7 months later...

• 3 months later...

Adding this separately as it is easy for us to not notice seemingly minor increases in costs without having comparisons.  If it is not clear by now, I enjoy numbers and data, but I also enjoy traveling.  Since I keep a detailed budget I can compare expenses in  Richmond to elsewhere and I have been surprised to see how expensive Richmond has become over time in comparison.  I used to think of DC as being pricey but as I have ended up traveling there more for shows and events (obviously all pre-pandemic), it has been shocking to see that it no longer feels relatively more expensive.   This applies as well to international destinations.  Below, I have a comparison of two like dining experiences around the same time in 2018 (same meal and beer options for two) between Cafe Rustika in Richmond (highly recommend) and Zeughauskellar in Zurich, a popular restaurant in a city known for being expensive.  Since gratuity is not part of their culture, of course food cost ends up higher, but ultimately this seems to balance out.  Note that our tax has since increased to 13.5%.

image.png.306792c2a75c2fbfe17773172867d09d.png
Note the TOTAL.  EXTRAS is the sum of tax + tip.  Tip is 25% vs typical 20% so RVA TOTAL would actually be more accurately identical to Zurich.

This is not an outlier either.  While I cannot make the same perfect examples in other cities I do see similar results in other relatively expensive cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Paris, etc.  Richmond dining is surprisingly expensive given the city's size and status, an industry that has had a great impact on our renaissance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2