Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

It's nice to see Davis Morton back in the critic's chair at Style. And he was very kind to Stella's, a popular Greek-leaning taverna on West Main Street's Restaurant Row. It was one of Anthony Hopkins' favorites when he was filming HANIBAL in Richmond.

Edited by burt

STYLE WEEKLY, one of my favorite Richmond publications, even if its owner is Norfolk based, does a wonderful job of reporting on Richmond's ever expanding and improving restaurant scene. And Deveron Timberlake with his Side Dish column is a dedicated follower of the scene.

Today he (I suppose Deveron is a male name?) reports on another of my favorites - HELEN's at the S/E corner of Main and Robinson in Richmond's fabulous FAN DISTRICT. Nora Hickey who maintained the cuisine excellence at THE KITCHEN TABLE in Shockoe Bottom until ravaging storm, Gaston, literally filled it with water, is now in charge of HELEN's extraordinary kitchen. What's more, it serves late (past midnight) to accommodate night people and chefs from earlier closing restaurants who might drop in for a snort and nibble.

Incidentally, AVALON, half a block up the street, is also a chef's favorite. :)

Edited by burt

I could also see one of these along the canal walk at some point. Maybe when the alcoa properties are redeveloped. If UNOS was down there though, I bet most people would choose bottom's up over them anyday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't UNOS the organ transplant headquarters? NO COMMENTS BRENT!!! :rofl:

For all you Francophiles (including me!), Richmond has a growing number of bistros, brasseries and fine dining establishments of the French persuasion. To name a few: LA PETITE FRANCE, CAN CAN, CHEZ MAX. There was a place on Robinson between Hanover and Stuart called Morgans which unceremoniously closed a few months ago, but it will soon be replaced by another French restaurant.

Anybody have more details, including its name?

For all you Francophiles (including me!), Richmond has a growing number of bistros, brasseries and fine dining establishments of the French persuasion.  To name a few:  LA PETITE FRANCE, CAN CAN, CHEZ MAX.  There was a place on Robinson between Hanover and Stuart called Morgans which unceremoniously closed a few months ago, but it will soon be replaced by another French restaurant.

Anybody have more details, including its name?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wish we had all those in HR. I love french food.

Burt can probably guage this better, but I feel that Richmond has a very large and diverse dining scene.

Speaking of dining scene, it wouldn't be Richmond without having Bottom's Up in the mix!

Public's response to the reopening has been overwhelmingly positive.

good Richmond.com article on our favorite pizza place :)

STYLE WEEKLY, one of my favorite Richmond publications, even if its owner is Norfolk based,  does a wonderful job of reporting on Richmond's ever expanding and improving restaurant scene.  And Deveron Timberlake with his Side Dish column is a dedicated follower of the scene.

Today he (I suppose Deveron is a male name?) reports on another of my favorites - HELEN's at the S/E corner of Main and Robinson in Richmond's fabulous FAN DISTRICT.  Nora Hickey who maintained the cuisine excellence at THE KITCHEN TABLE in Shockoe Bottom until ravaging storm, Gaston, literally filled it with water, is now in charge of HELEN's extraordinary kitchen.  What's more, it serves late (past midnight)  to accommodate night people and chefs from earlier closing restaurants who might drop in for a snort and nibble.

Incidentally, AVALON, half a block up the street, is also a chef's favorite.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why does it matter if its owner is NORFOLK based?

Juda Rivers of Richmond.com gave a rave review today for COPPER GRILL LOBSTER AND STEAK HOUSE in Short Pump Town Center. My mouth watered with each word she wrote. I'm going to save up my hundred dollar bills to visit this place (Lobster sells for $28 per pound and the smallest is five lbs). :)

SAL FEDERICO'S on Staples Mill just off Broad, is either closed or taking an extended vacation. Their phone is "temporarily disconnected".

Its pedigree among Richmond eaterys is pretty remarkable. It was started by the Federico family way back in the 30s or early 40s as CAPRI on the corner of Foushee and Grace. It's Southern Italian fare was the best in town and early on attracted a large following. When the building was destroyed by fire, many people mourned its demise. Sal Federico was an amicable host who visited every table and was a formidable presence. Its new incarnation on Staples Mill near Broad (close to Willow Lawn) was under new management, if I am not mistaken, but in deference to Sal, his name was retained.

As good as it was, SAL FEDERICO'S never matched Capri's reputation.

Boy o Boy! Our friend, Deveron Timberlake over at Style has a bag full of restaurant items today:

TAQUERIA LOCO at 818 W. Broad, has replaced its plastic cutlery, spruced up its image and will operate non-stop between Fridays and Sundays. A beer garden is planned.

SENSI, the much anticipated Italian addition to Tobacco Row plans an opening the 2nd week of September. It is at 2222 East Cary street.

Our tongue twister, JACQUEOMO'S at 101 N. 18th street (formerly the site of Awful Arthur's) expects to be in business early September in Shockoe Bottom.

And, best news since BOTTOMS UP's rise to the surface, the unique and very popular HAVANA '59 has come up for air.

HAVANA '59 reopens NEXT WEEK. Hooray. It's across from the Farmers Market on the west side of 17th street between Main and Franklin. :lol::)

CHA CHA CANTINA, in the former Rivah Bistro on Cary just east of 14th street, opens September 15th. This is a new and welcome addition to the Michelle Williams restaurant empire.

And that new Italo/Franco spot that I couldn't rmember the name of on a previous page is called ENOTECA SOGNO at 2043 West Broad at the former site of Ma-Musu (NOT Mama 'Zu :lol:). Is there any wonder I couldn't remember the name - ENOTECA SOGNO?

MOM'S SIAM has taken up residence at a former popular gay bar (Christopher's) at Colonial and Cary. Meanwhile, GINGER, a Dim-sum provider (of which there are few in Richmond) will open in Carytown this fall.

TABLE 9 will open late fall at Meadow and Park Avenue. It is the tiny, irregularly shaped space formerly owned for years by Frank Chiocca.

They say former habituees of du Jour on "The Avenues" near Grove and Libby will not recognize the spot when it reopens as ESCABAR in mid-September.

Amid Deveron's restaurant discussion today was the mention of an excellent steak house.

It is BUCKHEAD'S in the Beverly Hills Shopping Center at Patterson and Parham. This is a very clubby, posh, intimate and romantic restaurant offering excellent steaks, chops and one of the city's most extensive and diverse wine lists. Not inexpensive, but quality rarely is. Try it. :) Reservations strongly recommended.

Edited by burt

While chatting a minute ago on another thread about the addition of 7300 new personnel at Ft. Lee, which is halfway between Petersburg and Hopewell, THE HALF WAY HOUSE RESTAURANT came to mind. It is not in the Ft. Lee area, but is south of Richmond - about mid-way between Richmond and Petersburg on US 1. The actual address is 10301 Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1).

HALFWAY HOUSE is ancient by US standards - dating back to the 18th century. It's full of atmosphere, and it has served up fine food for decades (ok, centuries, if you consider that it was once a stage-coach tavern). :)

• 2 weeks later...

During my vist to Richmond last week, I had an opportunity to dine and/or visit quite a few restaurants:

Monday night was an elaborate, costly and showy meal at COPPER GRILL LOBSTER & STEAK HOUSE in Short Pump Town Center. My date and I did not have Lobster, but the young couple in the next booth did. This giant crustacean was borne in live on a big tray by the Maitre'd followed by two waiters. The couple, awestruck, gave their approval, and in short order, the lobster reappeared (again with entourage) red and succulent. Our meal was interrupted several times with ummmms and ahhhs of pleasure from the adjoining booth.

Tuesday evening, we ventured to Shockoe Slip. This evening's companion has an aversion to noisy places, so after a delicious martini in the quiet and elegant confines of the bar at KOBE JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE on 13th Street, we wandered thru the Slip in search of viands and quietude. She found the packed and jammed HARD SHELL piercingly loud, so we looked into nearby LUCKY LOUNGE. She nixed that one, too. So we trudged back up the hill to TOBACCO COMPANY, but even on the 3rd floor surrounding the colorful atrium, the sound level from the busy bar area below and the chatter of nearby diners put her off. Finally, we selected the delicious and mercifully (for her) quiet SAM MILLER'S practically across the street from Tobacco Company. She liked its ambiance so much that she ordered another martini. And our meals were delicious. The charming Manager who I think I recall as Ben, visited our table and added to our pleasure.

Wednesday, five of my family treated me to an evening to remember at CAN CAN in Carytown. This place is as close as Richmond is (or likely ever will be) to a true Parisian brasserie. Service by a troop of white-aproned waiters, a totally French menu, great decor and excellent wine and cuisine provided a wonderful and leisurely evening. I had Dover Sole and a raspberry souffle for desert topped off, apres dinner, with a Remy Martin. Ummmm!!

Thursday evening, not yet sated by French yearnings, others of my family, my date and I, had planned dinner at a new bistro called RACINE on Robinson Street in The Fan. Calling for reservations, I learned from a heavily French-accented gentleman that grand opening would not occur until tomorrow (Monday September 5th). So, our plans changed, and we ventured (sans reservations) to BELLA ARTE on Bellview Avenue in the Northside. It's Provencial menu and delightful owner/waitress provided us with very good wine and excellent meals.

Friday, my final night in Richmond, was spent quietly at home with family.

On my rounds of the City, I looked into several venues new to me. I learned that ZUPPA on 18th street in The Bottom serves delicious soup: STOOL PIGEONS at 15th and Dock is large, attractive and very popular; PAPANINGO is a new Central American spot on Franklin street in the Bottom; a new large and handsome club called ELEMENT is open where Farenhite used to be on 18th street.

I looked into SENSI at 23rd and Cary which is almost ready to open. It has a large crescent-shaped bar and lounge divided from the dining area by a tracked curtain of gold colored mesh metal.

Up 23rd street from Sensi is SETTE, a delightful, cool room with tasteful and simple decor. It also has a charming garden with interesting art work on adjoining brick walls.

RIVER CITY DINER is planning to move around the corner from its present digs on Main between 17th and 18th. A building, save for its facade, has been gutted on 17th and is undergoing reconstruction to house the relocated spot.

Just up 17th street, the old Butch's market has been gutted. Workmen could not tell me what will occupy the building.

HAVANA'59, on 17th street across from the Farmers Market, has work going on inside, but it looks to me that reopening is not imminent.

Passed by several times, but did not visit BOTTOMS UP PIZZA. But judging from large groups of people milling around outside, it appeared to be quite busy.

And of course, a visit to Richmond would not be complete without a drop-in at Barry Pruitt's WHITE DOG CAFE at Stafford and Main streets in the Fan. He and his artist wife treated Ales and myself to a couple of late-night brandies and some delightful conversation. :)

Edited by burt