Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

For restaurant week I checked out Julep's and TJ's at the Jefferson.

I'm not well versed enough (nor do I remember enough details) to write a real review, but I'll share my impressions of both places.

The first thing I'll mention about Julep's is the mint Julep I ordered. It came in a steel cup filled with crushed ice and fresh mint. It was extremely refreshing and will be my drink of choice for the near future when good mint is available. Wine selection was ample with a decent selection of Virginia wines. We chose the Toscanello (Sangiovese/ Primitivo/Cab blend) from Villa Appalachia. This turned out to be a good wine to compliment all the food I ate that night. The appetizer was fried green tomatoes, batter dipped and served with a minced olive based topping and various creamy sauces. Main course was a bacon rapped pork loin, reasonably tender and flavorful, served with asparagus. For dessert I had a chocolate trifle with mixed berries. Overall it was a great experience.

TJ's at the Jefferson was a bit more fancy. When we walked in, most of the men were eating with their sports-coats on. I was glad I had worn one to dinner. Wine list was satisfying but lacked any bottles for less than $26. We had an Australian Cab/Merlot Shiraz blend but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I had a peanut soup to start. It was warm, creamy and satisfying, but not too fascinating taste-wise, just kind of like warm creamy peanut butter. I'm no expert on peanut-soup and I'm assuming it's supposed to taste that way, but in any case it was enjoyable, although rather filling. Main course was Salmon with a semi-sweet, tangy orange sauce and rice. (I really should write these the next day when I can remember more details). Dessert was some sort of chocolate tort, but by that time the wine clouds my memory of what exactly it was. The food was great, as was the service, but the highlight of eating here was walking though the Jefferson Hotel. I can't think of a more impressive place to take a date.

Edited by mclawsdrive

Awesome Mclaws! Thanks, I wish I could have been in town for restaurant week. Burt told me that on Wednesday he was turned away from Julep's and Old City Bar because of the crowds... He said they went to Pomegranate instead, and though it wasn't part of restaurant week, was packed nonetheless.

And yes, the Jefferson is one impressive place. Just walking in is breathetaking. I've had breakfast at Le Maire, but haven't had TJ's.

Henry, I was at POPKIN TAVERN after being caught in the horrendous traffic jam caused by an overturned semi on I-95 the night of Oct. 23rd. Enroute from Hampton Roads, it took an hour to get from 25th and Main to Adams and Broad. I stopped off at the newly opened spot and enjoyed the largest Chicken Pot Pie I have ever seen - it was the size of a pizza! And delicious. And only about $10!!!

It is indeed a sleek new presence on West Broad; I like the suspended lighting and the stainless steel accents as well as the big windows overlooking Broad Street.

The old verticle "POPKIN FURNITURE" sign (with "Restaurant" replacing the Furniture wording) is going to be installed outside. Meanwhile, it's on display inside on the west wall toward the back on the first level.

According to the Architects of the National renovation, the owners are trying to lure an upscale restaurant at the former florist location.

An upscale venue along this portion of Broad Street will be a big positive shot in the arm.

Edited by Shakman

According to the Architects of the National renovation, the owners are trying to lure an upscale restaurant at the former florist location.

An upscale venue along this portion of Broad Street will be a big positive shot in the arm.

Yes, Shak. And I hope they realize that the second level of the former florist shop should also be part of the restaurant. People are entranced with dining on second levels. JULEPS is a perfect example of that. M&R Hilton Garden Inn and the Carpenter Center complex will bring even more bustle and restaurant demand to the area.

I've got lots of restaurant reporting coming up, but it'll have to be later. Other things require my attention at the moment.

Edited by burt

There was not a whole lot to report in Deveron Timberlake's Side Dish column in today's Style. He reported on a restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch in Bank of America called MANNA. Seems to me somewhere in this thread we reported a few months back on a similar operation at the same location, but it wasn't called MANNA nor, if I recall, was it owned and operated bya Korean named Lee.

Tomorrow, after reading and reporting on Dana Craig's review, I'm going to list with a comment or two all the restaurants I visited in Richmond.

I'm embarrassed to admit I can't remember the name of a restaurant I enjoyed in Petersburg's Cockade Alley. It was around the corner from WABI SABI and I believe the word "Run" was in the title. It was very pub-ish, crowded and I had a good meal. Maybe the name will come to me overnight.

Edited by burt

Brickhouse Run is your place Burt :thumbsup:

That's it! Thanks for refreshing my memory.

After I settle down from excitement about Mead Westvaco's announcement to locate its National Headquarters downtown in Foundry Park (bounded by 5th, 7th, Byrd and Tredegar streets), I'll commence my listing of places I ate in while visiting Richmond.

Richmond's culinary reputation grows and grows.

Dana Craig has rediscovered the magic of PATINA GRILL, 3416 Lauderdale Drive in The Shops at Wellesley, tel. 804/360-8217.

Three and a half stars she awards, and it should have been four. The only complaint was so minor, she shouldn't have even mentioned it - the pasta served with sauteed shrimp atop tagliatelle was bland. Everything else was superb and unlike anything you'll find on menus across the region.

"Chef/owner Brian Munford has redefined fine dining by fusing Asian, Indian and Caribbean tastes into unexpected entrees.

"On a Friday evening, Patina's elegant decor -- copper-topped tables, wrought iron-framed mirrors and dark, intimate booths acted as an impressive visual omen for an equally impressive meal to follow."

Read Dana's review in today's RTD and I bet a quarter you'll be on the phone booking reservations before you finish reading her praise.

Edited by burt