Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Good to hear from you again, nhughes.

I wouldn't expect the Fan location of HOME TEAM GRILL to be anything more than it is -- another neat hang-out for grub food and beer guzzling.

Have you any news on NORTHSIDE GRILL?

Nothing more than confirmations from several people that it is finally open.

Thanks for the welcome back. It's been a long time coming. :)

Nothing more than confirmations from several people that it is finally open.

Thanks for the welcome back. It's been a long time coming. :)

How about HIGHWATER at Toad's Place? I have heard that it is not open but will be a little later in the summer. What can you tell us about the type of restaurant it will be?

Edited by burt

Yep, it probably takes all of three minutes to get from the pay lot across from the Omni to Blackfinn. I've been parking there to go to Friday Cheers and it doesn't take too much longer than that to get all the way down to the festival area of the island. I think they marketed well enough to the right folks to not have to worry about being overlooked.

ric75, isn't it like a two block walk down 12th street from Tobacco Company Club, then across the canal and a short stroll by the Power Plant to BLACKFINN? Sounds very convenient to me for Slip revellers.

Those exiting Toads tonight can cross the canal to the Alcoa lot, then thru the cut in the flood wall to the power plant and the new saloon.

I'm hyped about the new entertainment options. :yahoo:

Per the RTD this morning, Toad's Place opened last night with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, as planned.

A couple of hitches that are in the works of being resolved:

1) ABC license will not be available for another 10-15 days (so no alcohol)

2) restaurant will open in about 30-45 days

3) 2nd and 3rd floors will open once the restrooms are completed

Total capacity right now (w/o the 2nd and 3rd floors) is "just over 1,000".

Even with the small issues, I am glad to hear it is finally open.

Per the RTD this morning, Toad's Place opened last night with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, as planned.

A couple of hitches that are in the works of being resolved:

1) ABC license will not be available for another 10-15 days (so no alcohol)

2) restaurant will open in about 30-45 days

3) 2nd and 3rd floors will open once the restrooms are completed

Total capacity right now (w/o the 2nd and 3rd floors) is "just over 1,000".

Even with the small issues, I am glad to hear it is finally open.

Well Toad's isnt the only one opening with issues... In talking with the owners of Capital Ale House, apparently one more issue has popped up with their 'troubled' city water line installation. THEY INSTALLED THE WRONG SIZE PIPES! When a test was conducted of the sprinkler system it was concluded they didnt have enough water pressure. Meaning that they get a temporary use permit and the city has to come back out, rip the sidewalk up again and put in the right size piping. At least the city gave Capital bricking out front. Might need to make it marble now... The show will go on as far as I know atm.

Murphy's Law seems to be in play with both new venues. I watched from Vista's live web cam last night and was disappointed at the light activity along the canal outside Toads. Where, by the way, is the main entrance to the music hall? Is it thru the front doors on Virginia Street or thru doorways on the canal?

I was expecting to see umbrella-ed tables on the balconies crammed with people sipping cocktails. But the balconies were virtually empty.

At least 10 of my family and friends are making reservations to hear Ken Navarro on August 5th at Toads, and I had told all that we could dine prior to the show at HIGHWATER adjacent to the club. But will it be ready? Maybe we'll have to try BLACKFINN after the show if it is open on Sundays.

And poor old CAPITAL ALE HOUSE MUSIC HALL!!! How much more can go wrong there?

Let's hope the NATIONAL is listening carefully and has its act totally together before opening next spring.

Sorry to trek too far off-topic, but I was looking into casual restaurants to go out with the family tonight. We're looking for a wide variety of food, nothing that focuses on any one cuisine per say. Oh, and something preferably in the Bottom/Slip, or Carytown. Thanks fellas! :)

PS--Open to any suggestions!

Edited by TBurban

Sorry to trek too far off-topic, but I was looking into casual restaurants to go out with the family tonight. We're looking for a wide variety of food, nothing that focuses on any one cuisine per say. Oh, and something preferably in the Bottom/Slip, or Carytown. Thanks fellas! :)

Here are a few suggestios, Tommy:

1. SENSI at 23rd and Cary on Tobacco Row - expensive Northern Italian. elegant and dressy casual. Reservations necessary. 804/648-3463.

2. OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS at 25th and Cary on Tobacco Row - not as expensive as Sensi; elegant, great seafood and steaks. Reservations probably required. 804/643-6900.

3. JULEP'S at 18th and Franklin in the Bottom. Excellent menu, great atmosphere. Less expensive than the two above. I would guess reservations would be required on Friday night. 804/377-3968.

4. TOBACCO COMPANY at 12th and Cary in The Slip. A lot of people deplore the food here, but I've never been disappointed. Prime Beef, seafood, chops, and the atmosphere is terrific. Entrees $20 and up. Reservations definitely required and request an upper-level table. 804/782-9431.

5. TWENTY SEVEN at Adams and Broad in the Gallery District. -- great continental food with an Italian flavor. Most entrees under $20. Reservations required. 804/780-0086.

6. CAN CAN BRASSERIE at 3120 West Cary in Carytown. Loud; great food; fun! Not frighteningly expensive. Reservations YES. 804/358-PARIS.

And there are lots and lots of other less formal and fun places with lower prices and diverse menus. Among them, COUS COUS at Franklin and Shaffer Streets -- Moroccan food in the middle of VCU; MARSHALL STREET CAFE, a new casual spot at Adams and Marshall; TARRANTS at Foushee and Broad; COMFORT at Jefferson and Broad; the eclectic and fun and good MILLIES on Main at 26th Street.

Wherever you go, give us a report.

Since I just went to Papa Ningo not long ago, that's top of mind as a suggestion. They serve Dominican food, and I was really impressed with it overall.

It's close to North 17th Street and East Franklin Street, down in Shockoe Bottom.

I would recommend Bank on Main near 10th. Not casual but certainly not formal like dining at the Jefferson. They don't focus on any particular cuisine and everything there is top notch, at least the Governor and I think so. ;) Reservations would be a good idea.

The White Dog would be another good bet, at Main and Stafford. Not formal, not too expensive, not sure about reservations.

I have also been to almost all the restaurants suggested by others, and certainly agree that all are excellent establishments, though some may be a bit too focused on a particular cuisine to fit your requirements.

Also Avalon might fit the bill, they've switched to more of a tapas menu, but you could still order entree sizes last time I was there.

Edited by mclawsdrive

A few more to consider: MAMA 'ZU; EDO'S SQUID; SIX BURNER; and one of my favorites, THE TRACK in Carytown.

McLaw, I'm not sure WHITE DOG is still open since Barry has put the place up for sale, but it is one of my favorite Fan spots -- intimate, but also smoky.

What's with VAULT at the bottom of BANK, McLaw? Is it still in the planning stages?

And do you know anything about a new spot called SKYY BAR & JAZZ PALACE at #4 West Broad across from TARRANT's?

Edited by burt

Lots of good suggestions (not that I would expect any less from this group)! Of course, this all depends on just how casual TBurban is thinking...

A few more to consider: MAMA 'ZU; EDO'S SQUID; SIX BURNER; and one of my favorites, THE TRACK in Carytown.

McLaw, I'm not sure WHITE DOG is still open since Barry has put the place up for sale, but it is one of my favorite Fan spots -- intimate, but also smoky.

What's with VAULT at the bottom of BANK, McLaw? Is it still in the planning stages?

And do you know anything about a new spot called SKYY BAR & JAZZ PALACE at #4 West Broad across from TARRANT's?

I forgot about Barry selling the place. I had a conversation with him a few months ago at a bar in the fan. Can't remember which one it was.

I heard that Vault was now open. I haven't been in Bank or many other restaurants in a few months due to some excessively outrageous car repair bills. I'm hoping that with Vault open, Bank will be less crowded and they will get rid of the velvet rope/line to get in type thing. I'm not sure how its going to work but I'm hoping patrons to Vault will be able to enter from the downstairs back entrance.

I've driven by the Skyy Bar location, but don't know anything about it. Seems interesting though.

Thanks for the update, McLaw. I wish we could confirm that VAULT is now open. And what about Mo's other new spot in the Fan - SI? It was formerly Il Pagliacci and later, The Wooden Spoon on Lombardy across from BOGART'S BACK ROOM.

I'm getting the feeling that Tommy and family made a selection from one of our suggestions and hated it. :unsure:

Thanks for the update, McLaw. I wish we could confirm that VAULT is now open. And what about Mo's other new spot in the Fan - SI? It was formerly Il Pagliacci and later, The Wooden Spoon on Lombardy across from BOGART'S BACK ROOM.

I'm getting the feeling that Tommy and family made a selection from one of our suggestions and hated it. :unsure:

I went by the future SI spot and saw significant changes to the exterior facade. Don't know about the inside, but it was obvious that the building was being renovated or altered.

I hope Tommy's group did alright, Larger groups are harder to please due to diverse pallets.

burt, I visited The White Dog two days ago, and it's still open and not even close to being sold apparently. Barry Pruitt is trying to sell the entire building for 750,000 or so. Even if the restaurant alone is sold, I was told that it more than likely would remain in operation.

Oh, and I went to KUBA KUBA yesterday, as well. Delicious as usual. I tried one of the specials off the menu, medium rare tuna topped with tropical fruit w/ beans, rice, and asparagus. It was all fantabulous, although the beans and rice were't exceptionally flavorful. The empanadillas (sp?) were delicious as ususal, both meat and veggie, the black bean soup rocked the house, the tostones kicked buttocks, and then some.

On a few negative points, the waitress was selectively rude sometimes (impatient), and the gazpacho's flavor was too acidic for most people at the table... but it was taken off the bill.

And of course, the meal ended with tres leche cake, both vanilla and chocolate. If anyone has a sweet tooth, and has never tried the Tres Leche Cake at KUBA KUBA, then you haven't lived. We also tried some pineapple upside down cake, which was decent, but paled in comparison to the tres leche.

Haha, oh no Burt!

We ended up going to THE BANK which was really really really good. Loved the atmosphere and the food. I'll definitely have to go back, and soon at that. I will give a more detailed report when I get back from vacation. :thumbsup:

I read yesterday in Building Permits column that Omni Center Corp, at 100 South 12th Street is spending $145,000 for tenant fit-up of a restaurant. I wonder if it means that they are reopening the nice quiet dining room off the lobby near the elevators; or maybe they're re-doing the restaurant in the atrium; or maybe something else altogether?

I read yesterday in Building Permits column that Omni Center Corp, at 100 South 12th Street is spending $145,000 for tenant fit-up of a restaurant. I wonder if it means that they are reopening the nice quiet dining room off the lobby near the elevators; or maybe they're re-doing the restaurant in the atrium; or maybe something else altogether?

Burt, that might be for the Starbucks which will be replacing the Jewelry store in the Omni's first floor.